Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Flying Spaghetti Monster & Pastafarianism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5726
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 00:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage 2005 thread here. Smile
segovius
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled...is there a rationalist in the house???

Surely, the point of religions is that the percipient who experiences a numinous event - say, a burning bush, the angel Moroni handing down the law or Mr Angry God whipping up a storm on Mt Sinai - actually believes the event to be real and goes on to act on that 'revelation'....

Now there are three main options;

1) the percipient is making it up - they are deliberately lying
2) the percipient is insane
3) the percipient experienced 'something' - what it was is irrelevant for our purpose

So we can say that #1 above would make them a lying scumbag and #2 a raving loon. Let's be good rationalists and stay safe and discount #3 temporarily for argument's sake.

Now to FSM: for it to be admissible - remember, we are invoking the great God 'rationality' here - then it has to be a metaphor or analogy for the religious experience (for those in the cheap seats that means it is 'the same thing' - more or less).

So...is anyone claiming to have actually had a real experience with an FSM? No..So that's #3 out....

Therefore, top be a true rational analogy - the FSM 'followers' must be either

#1) Scumbag liars
#2) Clinically insane

Either of which disqualify the FSM meme from sane rational consideration...

It's very worrying.....
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21454
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are rapidlt constructing straw men again.

Its perfectly possible to accept that a prophet believes in what they experienced. This may be due to the ingestion of peyote etc, alcohol or from long periods of mortification in a wilderness or even from extremely deep meditation.

It doesnt mean that it really happened, but for the prophet it was real. Depending on how convincing the aforesaid prophet is/was and how many armed thugs he can gather around then he will build a sect, cult or religion. If he gathers enough followers then his armedthugs become soldiers/police.

In the case of the Mormons, its hard to believe that Joe Smith was anything other than a conman. Thats because we're closer in time to him and its possible to strongly argue that Mormonism was based on a bad SF novel as well as some earlier texts.
segovius
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
You are rapidlt constructing straw men again.

Its perfectly possible to accept that a prophet believes in what they experienced. This may be due to the ingestion of peyote etc, alcohol or from long periods of mortification in a wilderness or even from extremely deep meditation.

It doesnt mean that it really happened, but for the prophet it was real. Depending on how convincing the aforesaid prophet is/was and how many armed thugs he can gather around then he will build a sect, cult or religion. If he gathers enough followers then his armedthugs become soldiers/police.

In the case of the Mormons, its hard to believe that Joe Smith was anything other than a conman. Thats because we're closer in time to him and its possible to strongly argue that Mormonism was based on a bad SF novel as well as some earlier texts.

You miss the point again. And invoke strawman again (btw Strawmanism has a nice ring to it..I can see you as a High Priest. Of sorts).

Let me simplify:

I am referring exclusively and uniquely to FSM

I do not in any way, shape or form, believe that they have a 'prophet' who 'believes what they experienced' therefore your point is not applicable.

I'm sure I went through all this clearly enough above - try to keep up please!!!

And is that a stray twig of straw that I myself see starting to protrude from beneath your carefully adjusted motley?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Segovious I have kept up, in so far as it is possible to keep up with such an eminent philosopher*. Actually, theres very little that you say clearly.

And I wonder at the men of straw you set up to knock down so easily. You must be a farmer ot a silage dealer to have so much.

Marx wrote:
Quote:
Philosophy is to the study of real life as masturbation is to sexual-intercourse.

You are truly a great philosopher.
segovius
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Segovious I have kept up, in so far as it is possible to keep up with such an eminent philosopher*. Actually, theres very little that you say clearly.

And I wonder at the men of straw you set up to knock down so easily. You must be a farmer ot a silage dealer to have so much.

Marx wrote:
Quote:
Philosophy is to the study of real life as masturbation is to sexual-intercourse.

You are truly a great philosopher.

Thank you....I prefer to see myself as an exponent of the dying art of basic comprehension.

But nevertheless, I appreciate your fulsome praise and the quote is strangely apt as there are certainly quite a few mass-debaters on these boards...
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But nevertheless, I appreciate your fulsome praise and the quote is strangely apt as there are certainly quite a few mass-debaters on these boards...

Excellent!
segovius
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Quote:

Excellent!

An oldie but a goldie!

Very Happy
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

segovius wrote:
ramonmercado wrote:
Quote:

Excellent!

An oldie but a goldie!

Very Happy

An oldie it may be but well inserted (fnarr) on this occasion.
KarlDOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 310
PostPosted: 05-08-2009 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like The Church of the flying spaghetti monster because it provokes such extreme reactions from most American fundamentalists, the hate mail page on the website is very funny and very revealing of the fundy thought process.
I think the whole point is to provoke reaction and reveal the illogicalness(!) of religion.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26196
PostPosted: 14-07-2011 07:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austrian driver's religious headgear strains credulity

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".
Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.
Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism. Cool

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The idea came into Mr Alm's noodle three years ago as a way of making a serious, if ironic, point.
A self-confessed atheist, Mr Alm says he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a light-hearted faith whose members call themselves pastafarians.
The group's website states that "the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma".

In response to pressure for American schools to teach the Christian theory known as intelligent design, as an alternative to natural selection, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote to the Kansas School Board asking for the pastafarian version of intelligent design to be taught to schoolchildren, as an alternative to the Christian theory.

In the same spirit, Mr Alm's pastafarian-style application for a driving licence was a response to the Austrian recognition of confessional headgear in official photographs.
The licence took three years to come through and, according to Mr Alm, he was asked to submit to a medical interview to check on his mental fitness to drive but - straining credulity - his efforts have finally paid off.
It is the police who issue driving licences in Austria, and they have duly issued a laminated card showing Mr Alm in his unorthodox item of religious headgear.

The next step, Mr Alm told the Austrian news agency APA, is to apply to the Austrian authorities for pastafarianism to become an officially recognised faith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1212
PostPosted: 14-07-2011 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glsd I did a search as I was going to put a link to that!
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 02:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Pastafarian' man allowed to wear sieve in his identity photo

A man who wears a sieve on his head for religious reasons has been allowed to wear his bizarre headgear on his official identity card.

Prankster Lukas Novy, from Brno in the Czech Republic, claims that his Pastafarian faith means he has to wear the sieve at all times.

Officials ruled that turning down Novy's request would be a breach of the country's religious equality laws.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382465/Im-Pastafarian-Man-claims-religion-forces-wear-sieve-head-given-permission-wear-official-identity-card-picture.html#ixzz2b3f4Qxer

Photo of the ID card at the link. Laughing
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 07:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWhitehead wrote:
Vintage 2005 thread here. Smile

Threads combined and title clarified, like hot butter on noodles.

P_M
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 00:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
America's First Openly Pastafarian Politician Sworn Into Office

A small-town council member from New York is making national headlines this week after becoming the first openly Pastafarian politician to be sworn into public office.

Christopher Schaeffer, the newest member of the Pomfret Town Council, isn't just an ordinary member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster — he's a full-fledged minister.

For those who have yet to be touched by His noodly appendage, Pastafarianism, it is a satirical movement with a serious mission: Keeping the teaching of intelligent design and creationism out of public classrooms.

Schaeffer drew many side glances for his unusual decision to wear a colander to his swearing in on Friday. The colander, or pasta strainer, is the traditional headgear of Pastafarians.

"It's just a statement about religious freedom," said Schaeffer when asked by the Observer about his parody faith. "It's a religion without any dogma."

Bobby Henderson, the church's "founder," wrote in a blog post on the official Flying Spaghetti Monster site, that Schaeffer's behavior will most likely be misconstrued.

"Some people will see it as obnoxious or a sign that he's not taking the oath of office seriously," wrote Henderson. " But I am completely confident that Schaeffer will distinguish himself as a Council member of the highest caliber."

Indeed, Schaeffer told the Observer that his intention was to demonstrate just how inclusive he intends to be.

"Mostly, I'm just looking forward to making sure that the town is run smoothly and we meet the needs of all of our citizens," he told the paper. "If anybody ever has any concerns or questions, I hope they contact me, because I want to make sure that everyone is represented."

http://gawker.com/americas-first-openly-pastafarian-politician-sworn-int-1496554452
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Religions & Cults All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: