Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Three Knocks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1851
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 09:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Health and Safety, even the Harbringer of Doom can't climb a ladder to knock on a second floor window without it being risk-assessed!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24064
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 09:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moooksta wrote:
Bloody Health and Safety, even the Harbringer of Doom can't climb a ladder to knock on a second floor window without it being risk-assessed!

Ha ha! I've just had a look at the window and its approaches. There's no sign of anything untoward on the window itself (hand marks,birdstrikes, etc). And to get to it in the dark involves negotiating two bushes via a narrow gap with a steep downward slope. There are easier windows to get at.
linesmachineOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1053
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird, coz if it was kids they would have repeated the excercise shortly afterwards (to much hilarity from their mates I am sure). In my experience it is unheard of for trouble makers to do it just once.

I was unaware of the 3 knocks thang until this thread. Thanks for bringing my attention to it.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

linesmachine wrote:
It's weird, coz if it was kids they would have repeated the excercise shortly afterwards

They (or 'it'...) did. It happened three times (ie, 9 bangs altogether), and at first I did think it was kids.

But there were no other sounds of people around, and then the arrival of the ambulance soon after alerted me to the possibility of something more spooky... Shocked
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 475
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time just before it was time for my children to be born I would be woken by knocking at the door. I would even send my husband to see who was there. I also heard knocking at the window when one of my friends went into labour.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis177 wrote:
Each time just before it was time for my children to be born I would be woken by knocking at the door. I would even send my husband to see who was there. I also heard knocking at the window when one of my friends went into labour.

Well, as I live in accomodation for the over 60s, I think that 'explanation' can be ruled out! Cool

Another Fortean explanation is Psychokinesis. I had been feeling rather stressed all day - partly my usual Xmas depression, and partly a family situation I don't know how to handle. Did my stressed mind create the bangs? cf Freud's bookcase:
Quote:
According to Jung (1963/1989), the first real crisis in their friendship came in spring 1909, from the following incident. Jung visited Freud in Vienna and asked his opinion on precognition and parapsychology. But Freud was too materialistic and rejected these matters in a way that upset Jung. A strange thing happened then. As Freud was leaving, Jung felt his diaphragm burning and a very loud crack came from the bookcase next to them. When Jung told Freud that this is a perfect example of paranormal phenomenon, he still denied it. Then Jung predicted that in a moment there would be another loud noise. And he was right; a second loud crack came from the bookcase. Freud remained puzzled and this incident raised his mistrust towards Jung.

http://soultherapynow.com/articles/carl-jung.html
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just discovered that the ambulance crew went to the flat directly above me. Which raises the possibility that the lady who lives there was trying to attract attention by banging on the floor (even though each flat here has buttons in each room for emergency calls, as well as pendants for those afraid they might fall).

It's a bit disturbing that I was worrying about delinquent kids if in fact a neighbour needed help. But it did sound as if the bangs came from my window. I don't normally get much noise from upstairs, but I have heard some sound from there today, so it seems the lady didn't have to be hospitalised. I'll have to check some more...
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10435
PostPosted: 21-12-2009 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
It is well known, and we do have a dedicated thread..Up to Ryn if he wants it merged now or later, once the new one's gained some momentum.

Now merged, at Ryn's request, and thread title slightly altered to make searches clearer.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 22-12-2009 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little mystery is finally cleared up - it was kids!

Although my upstairs neighbour had been taken ill, and called for help by pressing the button on her pendant, she also heard the bangs, and looked out of her window. Seeing kids there she told them off and they ran away. I'm a bit surprised I didn't hear this - but possibly I was in the corridor on my way to the outside door at that time.

I recently mentioned on another thread the chain-saw massacre the gardeners carried out here - it's an unfortunate fact that this has made access to the property easier for little toe-rags up to no good.

Anyway, Case Closed! Cool
(And I don't have to worry that I was imagining the sounds, or mistaking noises from upstairs for noises from my window...)
linesmachineOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1053
PostPosted: 22-12-2009 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Anyway, Case Closed! Cool

Bloody hell....is that our first ever "mystery solved" ? Shocked
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 8716
PostPosted: 23-12-2009 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(even though each flat here has buttons in each room for emergency calls, as well as pendants for those afraid they might fall).

Keep your ears open anyway Ryn, you never know when someone might get caught out.

My next door neighbour had a stroke a while back and couldn;t get to the phone because of partial paralysis. He has a panic button now that's on a wrist strap, but he stopped wearing it because it was too sensitive and kept sending out a false alarm every time it got brushed against something, last i saw it was hanging on the corner of a picture in his house.

Sadly he couldn't bang on the wall that time because the room was too deep in garbage Sad but that's been sorted out now, so i always keep my ears open!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 08:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was sitting at the computer when I heard three loud clear knocks. I thought it was someone at my door (I don't have a bell) but there was nobody there.

But because I only have one ear working at present, perhaps it was a misperception to think it was the door - the sound could have come from any direction. This got me disturbed - could it be kids again, banging on my window? (See posts above.) There was no sign of anyone outside, or any disturbance to the garden.

But later I heard more banging, and it became clear that it was coming from the flat above, which has been vacant for a few weeks. Clearly workmen were in there, renovating things ready for a new tenant!

I was so pleased to have a non-weird, non-kids explanation that I happily put up with the racket for the next half-hour or so! Cool
guestusOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 127
PostPosted: 29-04-2011 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey..I have a bit of a knocking problem too. I only heard it twice or so. Once three knocks, once one knock. Both times in the dark...once indoors, and once coming from outdoors on a glass door. I don't remember if I had enough guts to look into what was behind that glass door Razz
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 9986
PostPosted: 29-04-2011 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes these knocks can be as a result of a bird or large insect flying against a window.
I remember on one occasion at my parents' house, we heard a loud bang.
Going out to investigate, we found nothing and saw nobody - but we did find a greasy imprint of a bird on the window.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 29-04-2011 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
I remember on one occasion at my parents' house, we heard a loud bang.
Going out to investigate, we found nothing and saw nobody - but we did find a greasy imprint of a bird on the window.

Yes, single knocks can be bird strikes. I've had several here (4 in the period last November to January). Sometimes I've turned my head quickly enough to see a dazed bird fluttering away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: