Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Cannabis: the burning issue.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 18-11-2001 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too heard or read that it was outlawed because of the racism toward mexicans. While morphine was deemed okay because it was the rich white woman's drug, weed was seen otherwise due to stereotypes and racism. I also agree with the point that it is seen as making people crazy, or in other words, people in power want to maintain control and they believe that the use of weed opens up the masses to all types of dissent.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 00:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwoisevil wrote:

Quote:
I too heard or read that it was outlawed because of the racism toward mexicans. While morphine was deemed okay because it was the rich white woman's drug, weed was seen otherwise due to stereotypes and racism.

Actually, morphine was made generally illegal in the US before marijuana was. Morphine was outlawed for all but medical purposes in 1914. The first state marijuana laws didn't happen until 1915.

You can read about the early history of the opiate laws in the US at http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/cu/cumenu.htm

Quote:
I also agree with the point that it is seen as making people crazy, or in other words, people in power want to maintain control and they believe that the use of weed opens up the masses to all types of dissent.

It was a bit more bizarre than that. The guy who was the US Official Expert on Marihuana for 35 years testified in court, under oath, that he had taken two puffs on a marijuana cigarette and it turned him into a bat. The people who supported the early laws were at about the intellectual level of the people who burned witches in Salem.

You can read about him at http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/whiteb1.htm
Anonymous
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 00:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend whos dog ate his hash one day.He was rather concerned about what effect this would have on his beloved pooch so he rang his vet.
The vet told him not to worry as the hash would be out of his system in about a day.
"but what can I do for him in the mean time?" my friend asked
"I dunno"the vet replied"You could try some Pink floyd"
Anonymous
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 01:01    Post subject: Lethal dose of pot Reply with quote

FYI,

Depending upon which US Federal Government source you want to believe, the lethal dose of pot is either one-third your body weight, or 1,500 pounds -- consumed all at once.
_schnorOffline
Stand back boy!
Total posts: 1000
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey - either way, that's one heck of a lot of weed Eek Eek
dot23Offline
Osirian X
Total posts: 1096
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think we should wonder why weed is so vilified in the pop press. I mean most of the hacks who rant about it are probably users. I also heard from an ex-dealer who was carribbean by birth that the royal family control all of the drug import/export business in the country and that although weed is sacred in Rastafarianism it's more like communion wine. The myth propagated that all rastafari smoke weed all day is spread by racists. This guy was pretty full on, with stories about Maggie thatcher smuggling Irish cars full of Coke into northern England etc. I do often wonder though, where does it all come from?There must be masses of drugs moving around the country as well as in and out, and the police themselves say that even when they strike it big there's only a small dip in abuse related crime before things roll along as normal.. How does all this s**t move around freely without anyone knowing, and who is behind organised crime in the UK. I think the answers to those questions would make uncomfortable reading.
_schnorOffline
Stand back boy!
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cannabis comes from Morocco, with the rest from Pakistan/Afghanistan/Carribean etc,. and it's brought to the UK by trucks, vans, cars, boats, etc.

I don't know figures, but I'd say only a few percent is home grown. I tried growing some in a greenhouse, but out of about 40 seeds, only 2 took and stop growing at about 5 cm height - I figured they were treated with chemicals, dead seeds, cold weather, etc. roll eyes (sarcastic)

As for who runs the whole shebang, I don't know, probably a few mob bosses or warlords around the world. People who are definitely not to mess with Surprised
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13679
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he had taken two puffs on a marijuana cigarette and it turned him into a bat.

hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha
ROFLMAO
hahahahahahaha

and

Quote:
I had a friend whos dog ate his hash one day.He was rather concerned about what effect this would have on his beloved pooch so he rang his vet.

hahahahahaahahahahahahaah
ROFLMAO again
hahahahahahahahahah

Laughing my head off and I haven't touched the stuff!
dot23Offline
Osirian X
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnor, I know where it's *from* it's the process of getting it into the country in such large ammounts, and distributing it which I find odd. I mean I've heard of brief 'droughts' but never complete absence - the war on drugs is really working, kids! The so called drugs Tsar did bugger all, they've now reduced Cannabis to a class C drug (which is what's been recommended by panels from both sides of the house) and under what pressure? The average dope-smoker is hardly a target audience for politics is it? I dunno - my conspiracy brain is working overtime - but I do wonder if there isn't some truth in what that Jamaican guy told me about using dope as a social tool. In the middle of a deeply unpleasant, badly thought out, unjustified war on an impoverished nation, with the prospect that the mismanagement of the aftermath could lead to further trouble, not to mention the trouble that the US wants to start elsewhere, it certainly pays to have any revolutionary/anti-state ideals lost in a cloud of hash smoke. This same person claimed that the police and politicians connived to allow hash into black areas to stiffle dissent. Interesting theory...
_schnorOffline
Stand back boy!
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's some sort of Government led situation; that Goverments actually import drugs themselves, to give to the people in order to stop them thinking about how bad the Goverment actually is, to get them high so they don't start rioting (or whatever Smile)?

It is an interesting theory, and I can't think of any reason why Goverments couldn't do it, but that they could run such a thing is unlikely.

Perhaps it is more likely that some sort of Hidden Goverment is running at least some part the show. Blimey, this'd make a good topic in the Conspiracy section Eek Eek
Anonymous
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted ten seeds in a big tub or ordinary soil and they all took really well. I treated them like weeds and they grew like weeds. Sometimes I'd neglect to water them or give them enough sunlight, but in a short time they were 2ft high and bushy.

Then, one morning at about 5am my front door was smashed in and half a dozen black-clad men burst into my bedroom, demanded I get dressed in front of them, spent 3 hours taking my house to bits and took the plants away.

All for a £75 fine.

I know for a fact that drugs are re-distributed by the drug-squad. After I got busted I made some thorough investigations, then reported my findings in the local press. This went on to a higher level investigation which saw members of a certain drug-squad getting busted themselves.

Ahhh, revenge is sweet.
dot23Offline
Osirian X
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that at the time of the race riots (1981?) which sort of started in St Paul's Bristol and got as far as Moss Side (where I used to live, and where the 'Jamaican' I mentioned before lived), MS was suddenly flush with drugs. All very sus...
rynner
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golly Gosh! What terrifically exciting lives you people lead! Riots, conspiracies, corrupt police - it's like something off the telly.

Makes my dull life look even duller - sigh!
FelixAntoniusOffline
Outsider.
Total posts: 1055
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read to a certain extent about probition in the USA. Iwould suggest that a similar situation now exists in respect of 'recreational' drugs in most western countries.

To consider ecstasy alone, it is claimed that something like fifty million tabs of the stuff are sold a week at a pound a tab.

Even allowing for exaggeration, this must amount to a profit of over ten million a week, thats five hundred million a year & even if these figures are inflated, it still remains big money, a large percentage of the economy. Where does it all go to?

We also have a large number of people having to risk prosicution & arrest to obtain 'compounds' that they consider to be a normal part of their life!!!

Finally, at the same time that the possession of cannabis is now considered to be a minor offence, we have the London the police now activly prosecuting city busness men for possession of minor quantities of drugs.

Such a prosecution means that they are unlikly to be able to obtain a visa to the USA, which means that such prosecutions may have an efect on the UK economy.

So where is this counties drugs policy going?
marionXXXOffline
Un-Gnoing
Total posts: 1514
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , a friend was flying back from the far East a few years ago when she realised she could smell joint smoke - a couple of people were smoking huge joints on the 'plane , they also had large quantities of heroin strapped round their middles ( a fact revealed after she joined them ) , they strolled through customs ( one of the London airports ) waving and smiling , no one stopped them .
Marion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: