Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Cannabis: the burning issue.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 19-11-2001 21:40    Post subject: Government drug-peddlers Reply with quote

I'm not sure about all this....
Loads and loads of people have suggested that the US government was deliberately flooding the country with LSD during the late 60's in order to a) be able to study its effects on a massive scale and b) to render hippy troublemakers less threatening by making sure they were tripping so hard they couldn't get it together to organise any kind of rebellion.

It has to be said though that the Civil Rights / anti-Vietman movements, and so on were the catalysts for great changes in world events and people's thinking in general (and not just in America) - so if it was a conspiracy to anethetize the masses, it didn't work.

More recently, similar accusations have been made about the CIA (in cahoots with organised crime) controlling the supply of crack to help keep the "underclass" in their place and generally 'kill the poor'.
I'm not sure that THEY would benefit from spending an awful lot of money to create more social and health problems which would surely increase the government's unpopularity and also the chances of a revolt of some kind.
??
dot23Offline
Osirian X
Total posts: 1137
PostPosted: 20-11-2001 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough, Slacker! Not to mention the Opium crops that the CIA introduced into afghanistan to fund the mujahadeen. The taliban were threatening to flood the western market with cheap heroin as part of their anti-anti-terrorism measures. Does it make sense, could the long term health/social costs make it viable for secret agencies to control the drugs market?

A couple of thoughts: There's already a huge demand for drugs, and an existing system to get them there (dealers, couriers, smugglers etc); there's already a huge burden on the NHS and other health care schemes due to drug addiction/impurity; 'black ops' need money that isn't traceable to national governments; I don't know this but I posit that if you looked at the amount spent on arms (i.e. during war time) as compared to the amount of drugs consumed thered be a correlation (although the stress of war could influence people to take more drugs).

From this it would seem *possible* that NWO types could control drug type/availability in order to surpress dissent, without any extra burden on the tax payer. Even if there was a heavier burden, no one is going to suspect MI5 or whoever of being connected to the drugs trade - they'll just hike police spending, set up a load of Quangos to look at the 'issues' and use the resulting 'fall' in drug abuse as a reason to be reelected.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-11-2001 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, creating anxiety about drugs is always a good way of making sure the populous will welcome a bit more 'law and order'. But striving to control a world full of people who are too high/sick/dead to do the menial jobs doesn't really make any sense.
That is unless the 'NWO' really is on a mission to reduce the world's population. Obviously an ideal solution would be to arrrange for a few million non-Aryans to "kill themselves" through drug abuse and/or from murdering each other in drug-related gang wars.
Or would it be cheaper to just put a contraceptive in certain water supplies. Or invent a new virus which could be transmitted sexually and by intravenous drug use, thereby wiping out degenerates and encouraging the resurgence of the Religious Right.

I love conspiracy theories, but I really hope none of them are true.

I don't know what to believe any more, except that my boss is coming this way and
she's definately got it in for me. Gotta go
intaglioreallyOffline
Well what am I now?
Total posts: 2641
PostPosted: 21-11-2001 01:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democratic governments want people to be contented. Contented people don't vote against you - they may not vote for you but they won't vote for the other guy. Someone earlier in this thread said that liberalising canabis wasn't likely to attract votes. Oh yes it is. About 30% of people in this country have tried canabis. Something like 60% don't think it particularly harmful. Come the election there'll be nothing much separating the parties except one side saying "ban" and the other saying "chill".

Next the tobacco companies are going to have to get into some other business. Where's their money going?
dot23Offline
Osirian X
PostPosted: 21-11-2001 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, and I think Malboro are doing a lot of work in this area. It will only be about 5 years til they start selling it in licensed shops, IMHO
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-11-2001 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

dot23 wrote:

Indeed, and I think Malboro are doing a lot of work in this area. It will only be about 5 years til they start selling it in licensed shops, IMHO

Okay this maybe a UL but I seem to remember there being some fuss over a tobacco company registering 'Marley' (as in Bob) as a brand name, supposedly for use if funny fags are legalised.
dot23Offline
Osirian X
PostPosted: 21-11-2001 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that *was* Marlboro!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-11-2001 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is much evidence that the US govt. has inflitrated dissident groups in the past with the help of secret agencies. Counter-intelligence Program (Cointelpro) infiltrated the Black Panthers and drugged up the members and led them astray. It stinks when the people in power are allowed to break any law they want, since there is no one above them. Kind of like the US Supreme Court. the horror...the horror...
dot23Offline
Osirian X
PostPosted: 21-11-2001 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit like the US saying that any Government in afghanistan has to abide by international laws and protect human rights (unlike the US who break them on a daily basis and execute people using faked evidence...)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-11-2001 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right about the US and hypocrisy. That's what South Africa used to tell the US when we beefed about apartheid. They said who are you to talk. With cannabis, it is a great tool for them to increase the prison populations. Yet, they don't seem to care that it has health benefits and is far less harmful than alcohol. John Ashcroft, our #1 lawyer, is going after sick aids patients and others in California where it is legal. It is a federal versus state fight, which we all know by now is controlled by the supreme court, the executive and the senate. One more rant about US hypocrisy- the republicans love state rights over federal ones. Yet when we were trying to see who really won the presidency, all of a sudden they loved the federal rights over the state ones.

Last edited by Guest on 21-11-2001 17:55; edited 1 time in total
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 538
PostPosted: 24-01-2014 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner wrote:
But I hope they don't mke it legal before I try it - that would probably take all the fun out of it!

I hope they do. Not while we have a conservative government though. After that. I look forward to what I'm feeling now being legal. Just because.
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 538
PostPosted: 24-01-2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

dot23 wrote:
hell, the long term effects may be serious, but it's a damn site better than inflamed liver, burst kidneys and brain damage.

The only problem with any 'long term' study of cannabis effects is that as it's illegal, it's impossible to get pure cannabis (unless you only smoke grass), and the effects that people mention here - clumsiness, giglging etc could be the effects of additives that dealers and 'manufacturers' put in the dope. I've had it on good authority that some nasty shit goes into resin - heroin, ketamine, ghee (indian butter), bleach and all sorts of shit. This is for several reasons: it makes the hash more addictive, it gives the impression of strength (i.e. higher buzz, quicker lathergic/ apathetic symptoms) whilst covering the fact that THC content is low, and it's cheaper to mix resin with opium resin than sell pure hash resin.

Thus without being able to control the strength/purity of the drug it's impossible to say whether any of the effects of THC are negatice or posirive. It's for this reason that scientist have been synthesising THC and producing THC tablets of fixed strength. The argument being that as Hash contains X ammount of hydrocarbons/active ingredients, it's only by seeing which ones have what effect that it's long term problems will emerge.

The same problem occurs when talking about other drugs and there effects: MDMA has been connected with many negative things including dehydration, memory loss, depression etc - yet as Es can have anything from Talc to Ketamine in them, it's hard to say what the actual cause is; Heroin has long had negative health associations, yet W Burroughs lived as a junkie for 70 years with no ill effects to his health - it's more likely to be the manner of injection, the additives in the H or other health complications such as malnurishment which lead to serious health problems (most overdoses are the result of scoring much more highly concentrated Opiates - thus the user injests far more than their system can cope with).

This was one of those good ol' posts of yore.

Colorado State has legalised the sale AND consumption of canabis's sativa and indica. Close to half of all US states set to follow suit. The USA slowly dawns to the facts of their government's eternal colusion with the drug trade. The ol self-replicating loop. Herb ahoy. May it billow long.
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 346
PostPosted: 24-01-2014 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried dope a couple of times. I didn't take to it. I suspect it will become legal in Britain, but I'm too busy fighting a constant battle with that far more dangerous and officially sanctioned drug, alcohol, to start fighting another front.
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 24-01-2014 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using weed to get yourself off the alcohol. It'd be a bit like the old woman who swallowed a spider.
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 346
PostPosted: 24-01-2014 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris138 wrote:
Try using weed to get yourself off the alcohol. It'd be a bit like the old woman who swallowed a spider.

It would indeed, especially as I only started drinking as much when I quit smoking cigarettes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: