Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Mummies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - historical and classical cases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13557
PostPosted: 27-11-2013 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll try and dig up the photo's when I see my parents at the weekend.

Do or do not. There is no try. Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

Seriously, get'em up on'ere! Shocked
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1933
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 00:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
I'm in Rome and have visited here today - the Capuchin Crypt.

Mostly skeletons, artfully arranged both complete and it bits around the walls and ceilings. Some are naturally well enough preserved to still have facial skin and even beards.

We enjoyed our very gruesome visit. Immediately after us was a party of schoolkids. They were mainly horrified and I bet there'll be some wet beds tonight! Laughing

Yeah that's a great little really proper creepy place innit? Did you do the museum on the way in?
krakentenOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 454
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 05:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a book, "Looking at Death" by Barbra Norfleet that contains photos from several crypts. The book also has a long chapter on post mortem portraits of children.

These were for families who had no photos of the children alive-sad sights indeed.

I recently went to see the mummy exhibition that's touring now, the mummified(accidently preserved) bodies of a miller and his family, carried off by TB, were touching.

In the Walters Art Museum, here in Baltimore, there is a carving of a skeleton, in boxwood, a 'memento mori', intended to remind one of the coming of death.

It bears the words, "I am what you are, I am what you will be. It scared me half to death as a child, and I often joke that I visit the thing whenever possible, to make sure it hasn't escaped.

Since I had been away from Baltimore for some years, I asked a guard where it was now(the Walters has ceased being the Art Gallery and become a museum, many exhibits have been moved.)

He knew just what I was asking about, and where it was. He said, "Yes, that damn thing scares me, too!".

A wonderful work, and it does just what it was intended to do.

Those crypts served the same purpose.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 07:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
escargot1 wrote:

Mostly skeletons, artfully arranged both complete and it bits around the walls and ceilings. Some are naturally well enough preserved to still have facial skin and even beards.

We enjoyed our very gruesome visit. Immediately after us was a party of schoolkids. They were mainly horrified and I bet there'll be some wet beds tonight! Laughing

Yeah that's a great little really proper creepy place innit? Did you do the museum on the way in?

We certainly did. Stood for a good while in front of their very own Caravaggio. Cool

It knocks all their other portraits into a cocked'at. Very Happy
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1933
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 07:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
CarlosTheDJ wrote:
escargot1 wrote:

We certainly did. Stood for a good while in front of their very own Caravaggio. Cool

It knocks all their other portraits into a cocked'at. Very Happy

It's definitely my favourite off-the-beaten-track Rome highlight!

Until I find a new one......
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Latin for 'dogging'? Laughing
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5692
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so popular, it had its own language Dog Latin! Confused
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25780
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of my mis-spent youth was spent watching Canis Major and Canis Minor...

Wink
krakentenOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 454
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 01:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

That time was certainly not mispent!
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9535
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
What's Latin for 'dogging'? Laughing

'Comitata'?
tonyblair11
My shoes hurt
PostPosted: 08-03-2014 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/lu82z49

Quote:
The Baffling Story of How a Woman’s Mummified Body Went Undiscovered in Her Garage for as Long as Six Years
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25780
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 08:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncovered, the pharaohs’ child star
A new exhibition at the British Museum reveals the 3,000-year-old secrets of an ancient Egyptian mummy, containing the skeleton of a seven-year-old singer
[Video]
By Robert Mendick, Chief Reporter
8:15AM BST 11 May 2014

She was perhaps the child pop star of her day – an ancient Egyptian version of Charlotte Church.

Tjayasetimu, who almost 3,000 years ago sang for the pharaohs in temples on the Nile, will star again next week in an exhibition at the British Museum.
The blockbuster show investigates in detail – using the most advanced scientific techniques – the lives and deaths of eight mummies held in the museum’s collection.
In the case of Tjayasetimu, it reveals the story of a little girl, a star singer in the temple, whose secrets were taken to the grave three millennia ago. The Telegraph was given an exclusive preview of the exhibition before its official opening on May 22.

Having been wrapped in bandages and mummified in about 800 BC, Tjayasetimu was an important member of the temple choir – an elevated “singer of the interior” – experts now believe.
The girl, although heartbreakingly young when she died, was a sufficiently important to merit an elaborate mummification, typically the preserve of Egyptian royalty and the wealthiest families.

Tjayasetimu’s remains, enclosed in painted bandages with her face hidden by a golden mask, were sent last year to an NHS hospital in Manchester for a CT scan. The computerised tomography scanner takes a series of X-rays to create images of the inside of the human body. Then, using computer software developed by Formula 1 engineers to examine car engines, the museum’s experts created three-dimensional images, revealing what lies beneath Tjayasetimu’s bandages.

What the curators found was the remarkably well-preserved body of the girl, who stood a little over 4ft tall. The scans showed she still had a full head of shoulder-length hair, her face still in good condition and even milk teeth pushing through her gums.
The discoveries enabled curators to estimate the little girl’s age at about seven years old, possibly as old as nine, and far younger than previously thought. Her skeletal body is almost a foot shorter than the tomb in which she is encased. Why that is remains unclear.

“One of the great discoveries we have made is that her hair is beautifully preserved and long,” said Dr Daniel Antoine, the museum’s curator of physical anthropology. “The features of her face have been very carefully preserved.”

The scans, undertaken at Manchester Royal Infirmary 200 miles from the museum, show the girl’s brain intact and a delicate veil around her face. The scans also revealed the incision in her stomach, showing how her internal organs had been removed as part of the mummification process.
“The rest of her body shows no signs of ill health or long-term disease,” said Dr Antoine, “There is no other evidence of a trauma or that she suffered a violent death.”
It is likely the girl died after a short illness, such as cholera.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10822100/Uncovered-the-pharaohs-child-star.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - historical and classical cases All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: