Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Great Acts of Stupidity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timble2Offline
Imaginary person
Total posts: 5359
PostPosted: 06-06-2013 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if they had pulled the tree down what was it most likely to hit? Laughing
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9706
PostPosted: 06-06-2013 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timble2 wrote:
And if they had pulled the tree down what was it most likely to hit? Laughing

If that had happened...Darwin Award.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26278
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 08:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourist walks off Australia pier while checking Facebook

A Taiwanese tourist had to be rescued after accidentally walking off a pier in the Australian city of Melbourne while checking her Facebook page.
The woman tumbled from St Kilda's pier into Port Phillip Bay late on Monday night.

Police were alerted to the incident by a witness and rescued her in a speedboat after about 20 minutes.
The woman, who apologised, was taken to hospital for observation but police said she was fine.

Senior Constable Dean Kelly of the water police said officers found her floating metres from the pier.
"She was still out in the water laying on her back in a floating position because she told us later that she couldn't swim," the Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted him as saying.
"She still had her mobile phone in her hand and initially she apologised... she said 'I was checking my Facebook page on the phone and I've fallen in'."
Constable Kelly called on people to pay more attention when using social media around water.

Victoria police, meanwhile, said in a statement that there was no need for a lost property report because the woman "kept hold of her mobile phone throughout the entire ordeal". Rolling Eyes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25426263

A couple a weeks ago I was riding a bus through Truro's plaza when a man totally absorbed in something on his mobile walked out in front of the bus. The driver hit the brakes, and at the last second the man with the mobile realised what he was about to do and pulled back. Close! I thought I might have to be a witness to an accident...
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9706
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales guy at work walked into a column near my desk - he was walking and looking at his mobile.
A while ago, a similar thing happened when another guy walked into a water cooler. Mobile phone again.
FluttermothOffline
Mrs Treguard
Total posts: 426
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I ever mentioned the time I was ogling a hot guy on a motorbike and walked into a lamp post?

Embarassed

He saw as well Embarassed Embarassed
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4001
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 09:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluttermoth wrote:
Have I ever mentioned the time I was ogling a hot guy on a motorbike and walked into a lamp post?

Embarassed

He saw as well Embarassed Embarassed

Once whilst commuting I was on the station when my train pulled into the platform and noticed a free seat as the front carriages of the train began to go past me. Such an unbelivable rarity that with my stare fixed on the seat I rushed along the platform as the train slowed down intent on being next to the door when it stopped.

Instead I ran headlong into the station sign with a terrific clang and fell cartoon like onto my back. Needless to say I had a whole carriage load of people as an audience for that and as I watched (from the ground) a gentleman hopped on further up the platform and sat in the seat.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13674
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I visited Torquay with the former Mr Snail, we took a walk along the promenade, from where we could see onto the beach. That's the topless beach.

The ex became so excited that he couldn't take his eyes off the sight, and carried on walking, clanging into bins, benches and signs along the length of the promenade. He seemed impervious to the pain, he was enjoying himself so much. Rolling Eyes

Next day he was black and blue, but I reckon he thought it was worth it.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if it really brought him out of his shell.
FluttermothOffline
Mrs Treguard
Total posts: 426
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one it's happened to Laughing

I feel you especially, Heckler! At least I didn't do the 'cartoon flyer'!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21561
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morons.

Quote:
'Penguin and Santa' taken to Cornish harbour by RNLI
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-25537596

Two men who were in a toy inflatable boat and wearing penguin and Santa costumes have been taken to a Cornish harbour by the RNLI after they were seen drifting out to sea.

Falmouth Coastguard said the pair left Marazion and were paddling towards Penzance, without life jackets.

It said it received a "number of calls" from concerned members of the public.

The men were taken to Newyln Harbour by the Penlee inshore lifeboat at about 12:30 GMT.

A spokesman from Falmouth Coastguard said the men claimed they were raising money for charity.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Quote:
'Penguin and Santa' taken to Cornish harbour by RNLI
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-25537596

1230 was local HW, but there are a lot of sunken rocks between Marazion and PZ, which might easily puncture a cheap inflatable. The winds were fresh W to NW, so perhaps getting blown offshore was safer (in the short term!) Twisted Evil
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another news item suggests they may actually have set out from Newlyn, not Marazion:

Penguin and Santa towed to Newlyn by lifeboat crew.
By CG_Oscar
Saturday, December 28, 2013.

Two men in an inflatable boat, one dressed as a penguin and the other in a Santa costume were towed back into Newlyn harbour today after they were spotted drifting out to sea off Marizion.
The men claimed they were raising money for the Help the Heroes charity.

Penzance coastguards and the Penlee inshore lifeboat were alerted to the two men, neither of whom were wearing life-jackets.
A spokesperson for Falmouth coastguard said: “ The inshore lifeboat got alongside and found one was dressed as a penguin and the other as Father Christmas. They said they were raising money for the charity, but the Penlee crew persuaded them not to go any further and towed them back to Newlyn.’’

Read more: http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Penguin-Santa-towed-Newlyn-lifeboat-crew/story-20375662-detail/story.html#ixzz2ooBbQUY1

ramonmercado, you could have become one of my Auxillliary CGs if you'd posted this story on the Lone Coastguard thread! Very Happy
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21561
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiver me timbers, I should have thought of that!
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13674
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackburn charity canal jumper seriously injured after missing water

Quote:

A MAN suffered serious head and chest injuries when he jumped off a canal bridge for charity but missed the water.

Witnesses said Lewis Elliott had stripped to his underwear and was aiming for Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

But he slipped as he climbed over a barrier and hit the tow path instead.

They said the 25-year-old, of Bedford Street, Blackburn, had decided to jump off the 20ft-high bridge to raise money for a charity which helped his ill baby as he drank in the Navigation Inn, in Mill Hill.

Police said Mr Elliott was reportedly ‘drunk’ at the time.

There's a rather intrusive photo of him sprawled across the towpath in just his boxers. Not a good look.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 06-01-2014 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorist banned after driving with no hands
A 36-year-old man is banned from driving for 12 months after being caught on camera driving with no hands
[Video:]
2:50PM GMT 06 Jan 2014

A Whitby man has been banned from driving for 12 months for driving with no hands.
Richard Newton, 36, was found guilty at Scarborough Magistrates Court of dangerous driving. In addition to the ban, he was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the community and was fined £625 with a £60 surcharge.

Mr Newton was captured by North Yorkshire Police’s mobile safety camera on the A171 near Scaling Dam reservoir at around 6.20pm on Friday 9 August 2013.
He was filmed as he drove past the safety camera van with both hands on his head and continued along the road for around 25 seconds driving at between 60 to 63mph.
The road is a two-way ‘A’ road with a solid white line on his side. Numerous vehicles passed him on the opposite side of the road.

Dave Brown, head of North Yorkshire Police’s Mobile Safety Camera Team, said: “This case demonstrates two things, one is the sheer stupidity of some people who put others in danger, and the other is the ability of our safety camera to capture a range of offences.

“This is yet another case which shows that these cameras are about safety and not just speeding. We will take action against all manner of offences to ensure we keep our roads as safe as possible for everyone.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10553614/Motorist-banned-after-driving-with-no-hands.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: