Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Stonehenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner
PostPosted: 02-03-2003 18:55    Post subject: Stonehenge Reply with quote

From The Scotsman
Quote:
IT’S a mystery that has puzzled historians for generations. But now perhaps the most extraordinary explanation of all has been put forward for the mysterious stone-circles of Stonehenge - that they bear an uncanny resemblance to the female sexual organs.

The theory, proposed by Professor Anthony Perks from the department of obstetrics and gynaecology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, is that the layout of the most famous megalithic monument in Europe is based on the human vulva and the organs surrounding the opening of the birth canal.

Its real significance, argues Prof Perks in the latest edition of the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, is that Stonehenge was built to symbolise birth at the end of the Ice Age, when infant mortality was much higher than it is now.

He even predicts that if archaeologists were to dig at the centre of the stone circle, they may discover the body of a child in the area that represents the birth canal.

Many theories have been put forward previously, from Stonehenge being a temple at which to worship heavenly bodies to a docking station for aliens from outer space.

But the latest interpretation is based on the layout of the giant stones. According to Prof Perks, the outer ring of stones represents the outer edge of a woman’s labia and the altar stone is meant to signify the clitoris.

The theory, he admits, is controversial, but he says the evidence supporting Stonehenge as a symbol of life is strong. "Stonehenge was a place of life and birth, not death, a place that looked towards the future."
Anonymous
PostPosted: 02-03-2003 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a plan view at
http://www.lundyisleofavalon.co.uk/stonehenge/stnpik01.htm

if you want to see how plausible the theory might be.
NilesCalderOffline
Reptilian Overlord
Total posts: 2506
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 02:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emperor Zombie wrote:

And the sunlight pouring in.

Here's an idea. If they make the place like a womans vulva etc, then with the fact that the sun does pour in, and the fact that god is basically the sun, maybe it wasn't just any fertility thing, they wanted to make a deity that could walk the earth.

Sound plausable?
Did you see, urm, Britain BC (or whatever it was called)? A certain mound, I forget where, on the winter solstice the setting sun shines through the entrance passage. In essence the dying sun penetrates and fertilises the womb of the earth and sires the new year...
MattattattattOffline
Ye Olde JackSkellington
Total posts: 517
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 02:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'm looking at the overhead view and I can't find the clitoris...
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8265
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 02:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's at Maes Howe.

Such theories are interesting - but they always make me cringe. Any time anyone, be it an archaeologist, pagan, or whovever tries to explain 'ritual' sites, it starts to get a bit daft. I wish they'd just say, 'We don't know', or that aspects of any given site are 'Unexplained'. Because IMHO, it all ends up sounding rather daft. Unless something is found which tells us distinctly what is going on, I don't feel convinced by second-guessing what may have happened in any religious sense thousands of years ago. I don't see any point in dressing things up when the fact of the matter is that alot of the time sites ar interpreted solely through the imagination of those studying, rather than from constructive evidence.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 02:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

JS-Smile

Weren't the stone arranged in this order about 100 years ago? By people more interested in aesthetic considerations than historical?
BreakfastologistOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 935
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the big old mound at Tara also has the midwinter sun shining down the corridor effect.

I've noticed that every time someone from a different field takes a look at Stonehenge they manage to recognise it as something that just happens to fit into their field of expertise (and hence that no-one else would have recognised previously) - perhaps it was created as some kind of koan in stone, a deliberate mystery so each person who considers it finds their own truth Smile
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, it's not that difficult...
Dennis_De_BacleOffline
Total posts: 4608
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that hard to find! Its a bl**dy great big slab of rock.Very Happy
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've squinted at the plan view of Stonehenge and I still can't see it.

Perhaps Freud said it best when (UL?) he said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Wink
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 22:37    Post subject: Hewn and Unhewn Reply with quote

Hewn and Unhewn

Quote:
Robert Graves: The White Goddess, Faber and Faber Limited, 24 Russell Square London WC1

"Song of Amergin is an ancient Celtic calendar-alphabet, found in several purposely garbled Irish and Welsh variants, which briefly summarizes the prime poetic myth. I have tentatively restored the text as follows:"

Song of Amergin

I am a stag: of seven tines,
I am a flood: across a plain,
I am a wind: on a deep lake,
I am a tear: the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk: above the cliff,
I am a thorn: beneath the nail,
I am a wonder: among flowers,
I am a wizard: who but I
Sets the cool head aflame with smoke?

I am a spear: that roars for blood,
I am a salmon: in a pool,
I am a lure: from paradise,
I am a hill: where poets walk,
I am a boar: ruthless and red,
I am a breaker: threatening doom,
I am a tide: that drags to death,
I am an infant: who but I
Peeps from the unhewn dolmen, arch?

I am the womb: of every holt,
I am the blaze: on every hill,
I am the queen: of every hive,
I am the shield: for every head,
I am the tomb: of every hope.
It's the bit about the infant "peeping from the unhewn dolmen arch" that's particularily significant here. One can also see the simple, two uprights and a lintel, design of megalithic arches as symbolic of the vagina. Its double significance as a doorway between this World and the next becomes doubly underlined.

From the same part of the world as Maeshowe (The Orkneys), there is also the ancient village of Scara Brae, that was preserved for over 5000yrs in a sand dune. All the interconnected dwellings have a central fireplace, stone dressers with cubbyholes, stone lined storage pits (or, water tanks) and probable sleeping recesses. They seem to have been extremely, even claustrophobically, cosy.

Some say the village was built in the form of a gigantic woman. If you check out the attached map below, look at the the slightly apart building at top left. It has a much more pronounced shape, narrow entrance/exit at one end and a head shaped recess at the other. Some speculation as to it having a religous function, as I recall. Scara Brae also echoes similiar sites on Malta.

Last edited by Guest on 03-03-2003 22:42; edited 1 time in total
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but the child reference may be talking about the old custom of passing them through dolmens to protect them from disease Wink

Remember that there were no gaps in the lintels of Stonehenge when it wasn't derelict, so the whole arches/vagina symbolism doesn't work. I think people aren't seeing Stonehenge as it was in it's prime, but as we see it now.
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryB wrote:

Ah, but the child reference may be talking about the old custom of passing them through dolmens to protect them from disease Wink

Remember that there were no gaps in the lintels of Stonehenge when it wasn't derelict, so the whole arches/vagina symbolism doesn't work. I think people aren't seeing Stonehenge as it was in it's prime, but as we see it now.
Must have been some gaps to let sunlight through at the solstices?

There was a traditon of burying infants beneath the floors of dwellings, possibly to act as guardian spirits. I certainly know of it from Iron Age roundhouse and broch dwellings on Orkney and it may well belong to a much earlier tradition.

The legends of helpful/spiteful house spirits and fairies, brownies, hobgoblins and the like seems to have a basis in these burials. Of still born infants, or of those who simply died young of illness, or sacrifices, I couldn't say. The house as mother and the hearth as the passage between this World and the next, seems to be echoed here.

I vaguely remember hearing of similiar traditions amongst the early Romans.
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 03-03-2003 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lintels are the horizontal bits on top of the uprights. In it's prime, at Stonhenge these would've been in a continuous circular line. So, in effect, you would see a stone hoop suspended on a series of uprights arranged in a circle.

Yep, the Romans also buried dead infants beneath the floors of their houses. Whether the hearth/earth/mother thing is based in any real religious aspect is anyone's guess. I still tend to see such explanations as rather flowery stuff from the minds of archaeologists.
PostPosted: 04-03-2003 00:21    Post subject: I'm raving, stop me... Reply with quote

JerryB wrote:

The lintels are the horizontal bits on top of the uprights. In it's prime, at Stonhenge these would've been in a continuous circular line. So, in effect, you would see a stone hoop suspended on a series of uprights arranged in a circle.
Of course. Must be getting tired. I thought you meant no gaps between the uprights. Still the megalithic arch seems much more straight forward in its symbolism as the entrance to a chambered tomb, or to a neolithic, or later, bronze age, even iron age dwelling.

All those swirly double spirals carved into stone at New Grange, or on Malta, the turf mazes around the place. The dance of the sun and the moon on their journeys of birth, life, death and rebirth. The ancient, serpentine processional routes to Stonehenge, Avebury and etc. all leading to and from the place of the womb/egg...

An attempt to record something permanent on a sacred, feminine, landscape. To be replayed by doing the dance of pilgrimage and courtship.

Just my over active imagination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: