Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Electronic Voice Phenomena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13579
PostPosted: 18-07-2006 08:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have threads on this. I have tried it with my digital voice recorder. Shocked
gazzo10Offline
The Blindwatchmaker
Total posts: 41
PostPosted: 18-07-2006 17:12    Post subject: Electronic Voice Phenomena Reply with quote

gordonrutter wrote:
Can you give us links to some of the messages you mention?

Gordon
try parascience.org, evp voices.com also howstuffworks"how evp works" then look up southern wisconsin paranormal research group
TJ_HoneysuckleOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 37
PostPosted: 25-08-2006 06:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a segment on EVP last night, on a tabloid TV program here called A Current Affair.
Was a bit brief- a former Uniting Church minister has discovered he can attract voices to a tape recorder. His set-up looked very much like what you see in that movie.
They had someone in from the Skeptics Society to provide a counterpoint, and did a short (badly set up and explained) test in the studio.
No conclusions reached...I checked their website to see of they had posted details but it mainly seems to be stories about new diets and bras, for some reason.
disgruntledgothOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 247
PostPosted: 25-08-2006 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching a program a few years ago where two american people were recording evp and they tresspassed onto someones land and the police were called out, the camera was pointed at the ground but still running, and when they analysed the footage, all they heard was this voice saying "busted, busted, busted" (it appears the dead have a sense of humour) just as the police arrived. They also went to an old victorian era house that had burnt down and you could here the sounds of a childrens party, childrens laughter and stuff aswell as the sounds of people screaming. which sort of freaked me out. I wouldn't mind trying it out for my self, alot of people have died in our house.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 25-08-2006 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it! Try it! Very Happy

We have tried it and scared ourselves half to death. Top entertainment. Cool

Here is a summary of our most interesting findings - (in reverse order)

3. Coming home to a tape recorder covered in ectoplasm. Played tape, little of note heard except sound of cat barfing on device.

2. Long tape of muffled bangs and scrapes, like furniture being dragged up bare stairs. Decision made to sleep henceforth in car averted only by realisation that the sounds were made by the dog trying to bite a hole in the gate.

1. An actual, apparently spontaneous utterance on an experimental recording - a female American saying 'Jamie called!' Shocked
sunsplash1Offline
Fortean and Proud
Total posts: 1322
Location: The Hills, overlooking a smallish antipodean city in South Australia
PostPosted: 25-08-2006 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

EV bloody P!?

Crikey, I just listen to my malfunctioning answering machine. There's usually three or fours messages all recorded one on top of the other. It's usually, 'sorry I missed-call back-ring terry-blackened soul-hello?-paul is dead-pick up'

I swear I hit the play button after comming home yesterday and it said 'the devil-call back before 5-submissions close-I'm watching you'

my cat doesn't like the sounds it makes, but hasn't thrown up on it -yet!
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 25-08-2006 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love EVP. It has just the right balance, between eerie and ridiculous. Very Happy
Tyger_LilyOffline
New and Improved
Total posts: 693
PostPosted: 25-08-2006 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched White Noise the other night and there was a bit in it which implied that by recording EVP you were dabbling in uncontollable stuff like you would with an Ouija board. I'd never heard this. Is it true? I'm too lazy to google it all but I just wondered if it was opening up a channel (no pun intended) you might not be able to close again.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12983
PostPosted: 25-08-2006 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyger_Lily wrote:
I watched White Noise the other night and there was a bit in it which implied that by recording EVP you were dabbling in uncontollable stuff like you would with an Ouija board. I'd never heard this. Is it true? I'm too lazy to google it all but I just wondered if it was opening up a channel (no pun intended) you might not be able to close again.

I think the filmmakers were just desperate for something exciting to happen in the story and made with the usual "some things we were not meant to know" horror movie clich├ęs. I doubt it's based on a real case.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 10-06-2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the book and record Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication with the Dead? I was reminded of the Smiths song "Rubber Ring" which includes a sample from it (according to a quick Google), you know, the "You are sleeping, you do not want to believe" bit. Supposedly a ghost said that on tape and we're all aware how much Morrissey loves his ouija boards.

Amyone heard the whole thing? Breakthrough, not the Smiths song.
tonyghidorahOffline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 11-06-2007 09:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently heard a show on EVP. During it they played a tape, and he could swear he heard his own voice saying 'Simone'. Simone was a girl he used to fancy at school. It totally freaked him out.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 11-06-2007 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archive.org has a few examples:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=evp%20AND%20mediatype%3Aaudio

But they're light on details and heavy on interpreting static. In some of them I can't make out anything at all. Others sound deeply unconvincing. See what you think. Or hear what you think.
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 3564
PostPosted: 23-08-2007 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Does anyone have the book and record Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication with the Dead? I was reminded of the Smiths song "Rubber Ring" which includes a sample from it (according to a quick Google), you know, the "You are sleeping, you do not want to believe" bit. Supposedly a ghost said that on tape and we're all aware how much Morrissey loves his ouija boards.

Amyone heard the whole thing? Breakthrough, not the Smiths song.

Breakthrough is now up over at WFMU Wink
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 23-08-2007 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhistlingJack wrote:
Breakthrough is now up over at WFMU Wink

Excellent, thanks!
norton51Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 130
PostPosted: 19-09-2007 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the EVP experiments at http://www.assap.org/newsite/articles/Analyzing%20EVP.html You need nothing more than your computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: