Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
lost lands
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyrtrashOffline
Manflesh
Total posts: 1118
PostPosted: 27-07-2004 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Wales at the weekend (Porthmadog) and came across a book with a local story about a land lost to the sea.

It was a legendary tale of a flooded Kingdom in Cardigan Bay, off the coast of Gwynedd. The book had black & white photographs of people in boats visiting some of the 'reefs' that are the only evidence to be seen in the present day, some distance off-shore. The reefs were said to run in a zig-zag, at right angles to the existing shoreline.
It was fascinating stuff! I'd never heard of it before...

THIS SITE has some info, and starts off:-

Quote:
This tale is one of two stories of a similar theme attached to Cardigan Bay in Gwynedd. This story is the later one of the two and explains how a realm was lost to the sea through debauchery and drunkenness. There are traces of walls and roadways under the sea at Carmarthen bay, they can be seen at low tide and may have given rise to the legend of the 'Lost Lowland Hundred'.

And there's a good article on the BBC site about the Lost Land of Wales - Cantre'r Gwaelod, HERE . It's got some interesting pics too!

Think I'll put it on my list of places to visit Smile

Last edited by gyrtrash on 27-07-2004 20:23; edited 1 time in total
Alexius4
Alemdar i Nizam i Djedid
PostPosted: 27-07-2004 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Western Ocean, on the opposite side of the world from the Earthly Paradise...

The Land of Cockaigne
BreakfastologistOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 925
PostPosted: 28-07-2004 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lost Hundred turns up in the "Flooded Kingdom" thread linked earlier- it also features strongly in one of the books from Susan Cooper's excellent Dark is Rising sequence...

I don't know if cardigan bay is the same, but in swansea bay you can see a lot of old tree stumps at low tide where the ground level has sunk or the sea level has risen since the area was forest.
Mal_AdjustedOffline
Hardware Fault
Total posts: 1494
PostPosted: 28-07-2004 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

if you can get hold of it the following book may be of interest:

Nigel Pennick "Lost Lands and Sunken Cities". Published in paperback in 1987 by some people calling themselves Fortean Tomes.

It's mainly about British sites.

You might also like to have a look at Graham Hancock's "Underworld - flooded kingdoms of the ice age" (they had kings then?) Published in hbk by Penguin /M.Joseph in UK 2002. Better than most books by Hancock. Covers possible lost lands off India, Malta and Japan / China.

richard @
Imperial_CallOffline
Total posts: 1195
PostPosted: 06-08-2004 19:45    Post subject: :eek!!!!: Reply with quote

Atlantis found?!?
gyrtrashOffline
Manflesh
PostPosted: 09-08-2004 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article, Lobelia.

I noticed that it also refers to Dogger Bank in the North Sea disappearing in 6100 BC due to a disastrous freak wave. In this instance it says it was a 'shoal', but I've also seen it described as an 'island'.
So, does anyone know if it was able to sustain a population, or was it just a sandbank?
Dennis_De_BacleOffline
Total posts: 1216
PostPosted: 09-08-2004 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article and picture of Doggerland here Gyrtrash.
gyrtrashOffline
Manflesh
PostPosted: 09-08-2004 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Caroline yeay

That looks huge!
Certainly not an island, it's the 'land bridge' before the glaciers retreated. Was it ever an island? How long was it habitable before it was swamped by the waves?
Dennis_De_BacleOffline
Total posts: 1216
PostPosted: 10-08-2004 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dogger Bank[dO´gur, do´–] extensive sandbank, c.6,800 sq mi (17,610 sq km), central North Sea, between Great Britain and Denmark. Covered by shallow water (c.55–120 ft/17–36 m deep), it is a major breeding ground for many types of fish. Important cod and herring fisheries are there.
It seems to be in quite shallow water and covering an extensive area so it seems likely it was an island for some time after the glacial melt started.
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 582
PostPosted: 16-09-2013 02:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis_De_Bacle wrote:
There is an article and picture of Doggerland here Gyrtrash.

Link above broken. Here's a log of a project to map Doggerland. The site has been developing for a few years now and has some depth to it. http://doggerland.net/

I only just learned of the submerged landscape of Doggerland today reading JP Mallory's The Origins of the Irish (2013). Doggerland was dry circa 8500BC, concurrent with the archaeological evidence of earliest human activity in Ireland.
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 610
PostPosted: 16-09-2013 06:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

New link to Dogger articlehttp://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/archaeology/research/projects/title_89282_en.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: