Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ghostly Drummers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4205
PostPosted: 14-11-2003 22:56    Post subject: Ghostly Drummers Reply with quote

I'm getting scared
BA-RUMP-PA-PA-PUM

I'm hearing ghostly taps
BA-RUMP-PA-PA-PUM

What is it with ghosts and drums? Reading through a book on ghosts & spirits, I found no less than three instances, and there are probably more.

Ghost Drummer of Edinburgh Castle:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/vmillat/scottishghosts/edinburgh/ghostly_drummer.htm

(people are still feeling his effects today: http://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/ptunic.htm )

William Drury, Phantom Drummer:
http://www.genealogysource.com/druryghost.htm

And the probable hoax of the Ghostly Drummer of Tedworth:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/tedworth.html

This does raise some questions: are there other haunted instruments, or just drums? Are drums the easiest things to haunt/replicate? Where is the ghostly four piece jazz group, or the Phantom Bagpiper?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 14-11-2003 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they'd look pretty stupid playing a stylophone wouldnt they
stonedog3
Irene, Alma, Mine!
PostPosted: 14-11-2003 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that there's at least one piper who tootles away to indicate the upcoming deaqth of the clan chief....

can I find the reference? don't be daft! Smile

Kath
SimonBurchellOffline
Room 315
Total posts: 111
PostPosted: 15-11-2003 09:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ghost boy is reputed to play the pipes in the secluded lanes around the village of Bramshott, near Liphook in Hampshire. He was first reported in the 19th century and has been seen (or heard) in modern times, apparently.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10508
PostPosted: 15-11-2003 10:53    Post subject: Re: Ghostly Drummers Reply with quote

Mr. R.I.N.G. wrote:

And the probable hoax of the Ghostly Drummer of Tedworth:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/tedworth.html
Since when has The Demon Drummer of Tedworth been designated a hoax? To many, it's one of the best accounts of a possible historical poltergeist attack (up there with the Cock Lane haunting).

I think the problem lies with the site author themself:
Quote:
In March, 1661 John Mompesson of Tedworth (located in Wiltshire, England) brought a lawsuit against a local drummer whom he accused of collecting money under false pretences. The court found the drummer guilty, confiscated his drum, and gave it to Mompesson. Soon afterwards, Mompesson discovered that an angry, drumming spirit had invaded his house. The spirit drummed loud tunes on the bed of his children, moved objects around in the house, threw shoes, and wrestled with servants.
Sounds pretty polt-ish to me..
Quote:
The case of the ghostly drummer of Tedworth soon became famous throughout England. Its notoriety prompted Joseph Glanvill, a clergyman and member of the Royal Society, to visit the Mompesson household and investigate the spirit. He collected eyewitness accounts of the spirit's activities, recorded hearing noises himself, and eventually became convinced that the spirit was real. He published this conclusion in 1668 in a work titled A Blow at Modern Sadducism ... To which is added, The Relation of the Fam'd Disturbance by the Drummer, in the House of Mr. John Mompesson....Other people, however, believed that there was no ghostly drummer, and that Mr. Mompesson had invented the entire story, either as a way to make some money or to gain some notoriety. These critics pointed out various problem's with Mr. Mompesson's claims. First of all, no one was ever allowed to inspect his cellar. Why not? Was someone hiding down there creating all the sounds and commotion? Second of all, the drumming almost always happened at night and seemed to come from outside the house, not inside of it. In other words, someone could easily have been hiding outside banging on the walls of the house with a hammer. Finally, the King himself sent some gentlemen to investigate the haunting, but when they arrived they found no evidence of spectral activity at all.
Whether Mr. Mompesson was really beset by an angry spirit, or whether the entire event was an elaborate hoax was never determined, and so the ghostly drummer of Tedworth passed into legend.(abstracted in the interests of space - Stu)
So far, so good, gives both sides, etc etc. The problem comes in the very next paragraphs:
Quote:
However, the case has a second American chapter because decades later the spectral timpanist re-emerged on the other side of the Atlantic near Philadelphia.

His reappearance was announced in April, 1730 in a letter that was published in the Pennsylvania Gazette. The correspondent told the story of two local Reverends who had recently had an encounter with an angry, drum-beating ghost which was described as being "not a whit less obstrepreous, than the Tedsworth Tympanist."
Which isn't remotely saying that it was the "Tedsworth Tympanist"(sic), merely just as annoying.

There then follows a description of the Philadelphia drummer's activities, etc, before concluding with this passage:
Quote:
So the ghostly drummer of Tedworth has made two appearances throughout history—once in 1661 and a second time in 1730. The first appearance was probably a hoax, while the second appearance almost certainly was.
Very bad argument, IMHO - how can they possibly dub the first a "probable hoax" on the basis that another, completely unrelated case, was almost certainly a hoax (at no point is any direct correlation between the cases established, apart from the nature of the manifestation). So no, Tedworth wasn't a probable hoax at all. We don't know what it was.
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4205
PostPosted: 15-11-2003 14:58    Post subject: Re: Re: Ghostly Drummers Reply with quote

stu neville wrote:

Since when has The Demon Drummer of Tedworth been designated a hoax? To many, it's one of the best accounts of a possible historical poltergeist attack (up there with the Cock Lane haunting).

Thanks for tearing down the hoax bit - the only thing online that I was able to find indicated it was a "hoax", so I figured if I didn't point it out to begin with, the only response I'd get was going to be along the lines of "Hey, that Demon Drummer of Tedworth is a hoax, so why include it?"

Last edited by MrRING on 15-11-2003 15:14; edited 1 time in total
intaglioreallyOffline
Well what am I now?
Total posts: 2641
PostPosted: 15-11-2003 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprised, no one has mentioned Drakes Drum

except me
IamroachfordOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 212
PostPosted: 15-12-2003 08:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drummer in our band.........his timing and sense of rythym is frightening. Not in a good way either....Sad
brianellwoodOffline
MAD HATTER
Total posts: 823
PostPosted: 15-12-2003 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some time back about a friend of mine who played his pipes in a railway cutting in south M/c. (being a true purist he didn't practice on the full set of pipes to start with, but only used a chanter). His mum couldn't stand the noise, so he went outside to give himself the full blast and found a report of a phantom piper in the M/c evening news the next day. An u.l. rather than the real thing! Very Happy
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10508
PostPosted: 16-12-2003 07:56    Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Ghostly Drummers Reply with quote

Mr. R.I.N.G. wrote:

Thanks for tearing down the hoax bit - the only thing online that I was able to find indicated it was a "hoax", so I figured if I didn't point it out to begin with, the only response I'd get was going to be along the lines of "Hey, that Demon Drummer of Tedworth is a hoax, so why include it?"
Actually, I mailed the site author to ask him why he deemed the two cases as the same "entity", and were hoaxes - his opinion was that Tedworth was probably fake because the home-owner wouldn't allow the King's Men into his cellar (though there could be lots of reasons for this, but the bloke deems it a hoax indication: his opinion, so fair enough) - however, as the second one is likely to be a hoax, he deems them both the same by some form of logic that eludes me - anyway, his tone was so convinced that I didn't pursue it (on that pitch it's his ball, after all Wink).

As far as I'm concerned though, just cos one, similar, case was prob a fake doesn't mean the first one, some time previously and on another continent, was also a hoax. Unless you run a Museum of Hoaxes, and presumably latch with Beckjordian zeal on virtually anything, seeing hoaxes everywhere like partial Bigfoot faces in any picture of a forest scene...
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 4607
PostPosted: 17-12-2003 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the legend of the ghostly drummer boy of Richmond Castle.

That's Richmond, Yorkshire, not Surrey.

Carole
sjwk0Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 560
PostPosted: 17-12-2003 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Burchell wrote:

A ghost boy is reputed to play the pipes in the secluded lanes around the village of Bramshott, near Liphook in Hampshire. He was first reported in the 19th century and has been seen (or heard) in modern times, apparently.

Bramshott? Not heard of pipes there.. I have heard of a ghost boy playing either pipes or drums up and down Devils Lane on the Haslemere side of Liphook. (And Liphook/Bramshott is where I spent much of my life). Hm, looking at the map, I suppose Devils Lane isn't too far from Bramshott as the crow flies - perhaps he walks a bit.

I have also heard of both a ghost stag and a demon black dog in the area.

Finally, Boris Karloff used to live in Bramshott too - used to go past his house quite regularly with its high wall and garden full of really weird statues. He's buried in the churchyard at the other end of the road apparently. I've heard that the churchyard is one of the most haunted around, but I've never once heard of any actual ghosts reputed to be there so I don't know where the haunted bit's come from... Anyone?

Steve.
SimonBurchellOffline
Room 315
Total posts: 111
PostPosted: 19-12-2003 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Liphook people say that Bramshott is the most haunted village in Hampshire. I've read about the ghosts in "The Haunted Places of Hampshire" by Ian Fox and "Hampshire Hauntings and Hearsay" by Patricia Ross (which draws heavily on the former). The former claims that Bramshott is the most haunted village in England (where have I heard that before...). The ghostly pipe-player is there associated with Burgh Hill and Bramshott Court, which is also said to be haunted by a ghostly quaker Other Bramshott ghosts include:
a Royalist soldier on horseback
a murdered highwayman, also on horseback
a ghostly black pig which haunts fields near the church
a phantom pot-boy (!)
a ghostly white calf that shrunk and disappeared
a ghostly family of mother and children
a crowd of 16th century types that appeared in Wolmer Lane
a ghost coach which is heard along Rectory Lane and past the church
a little girl who haunts the graveyard
a ghost in traditional shrowd also haunts the graveyard
the ghost of a tall young man who appears in Adams Cottage, a female ghost is also reported there
a Grey Lady is said to haunt Covers Farm
the ghost of a drowned woman haunts the meadows of Bramshott Vale
Bramshott Manor House has the ghost of a rector and of a white-clad female
Boris Karloff is said to haunt the cottage where he once lived
19+ ghosts isn't bad for such a small village. Only one of them shows any musical inclinations however...

Last edited by SimonBurchell on 19-12-2003 19:11; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 05-01-2004 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

carole wrote:

There's also the legend of the ghostly drummer boy of Richmond Castle.

That's Richmond, Yorkshire, not Surrey.

Carole

Thats one that most Richmondites (Richmondonians?) can quote, too. Not sure of the provenance, but parts of 'modern' Richmond are apparently built over the streets of old Richmond (or so my mum says).

There are quite a few haunted pubs in Richmond and one in particular that frightened the bejeebers out of my sister who checked out of the B&B the very next day swearing never to go back. Something about taps turning themselves on, cupboards opening and slamming shut and other such scarey stuff!
CALGACUS03Offline
Grey
Total posts: 24
PostPosted: 28-08-2005 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give another example of a ghost that plays a musical instrument other than drums - there is a well known ghost in Berwick-upon-Tweed (in north Northumberland) that supposedly haunts the white wall of Berwick castle.
The White Wall stretches down from the few remains of the medieval castle to the banks of the river Tweed, and according to local folklore the ghost of a Scottish piper appears on it.
Interestingly enough, the navvies who built the great viaduct that spans the Tweed at this point found, when they built the foundations for the bridge, a large mass grave, in the shadows of the White wall that was filled with bodies - presumably those of attackers or defenders of the castle.
I have the feeling though that this story is more in the realms of Urban Legend than of fact.

This link shows the castle and the wall that reaches down the hill (the castlemented zigzag), it's this battlement that is supposed to be haunted. It is extremely steep and when I was a kid it was a dare to climb up it (or down it) at dead of night. It is this wall that the piper is supposed to walk up and down as he plays.
This link Shows the view uphill to the castle and the path that the piper is supposed to tread.

Regards all,

Cal.

Edited to add - spelling mistakes make me look even more stupid than I actually am!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - Poltergeists and entities All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: