Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Serial Killers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 19684
PostPosted: 15-07-2011 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Woman claims she was raped at home of West serial killers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-14166923

A woman has told police she was raped at a house belonging to serial killers Fred and Rosemary West.

The alleged victim is understood to have been illegally brought to the UK as part of a sex trafficking ring.

The woman said she was attacked at 25 Midland Road in Gloucester where the Wests' daughter Charmaine was murdered in 1971.

Three people have been charged with trafficking women into the UK for sexual exploitation.

Iveta Viragova and Votjech Virag, both from Tooting south-west London, and Ludmila Nistorova, of Raglan Court, Gloucester, face five charges each, including conspiracy to traffic for sexual exploitation and immigration offences.

Three men arrested in the Czech Republic are currently subject to extradition proceedings.

It is understood the investigation started after one victim escaped from the gang and reported them to police.

The Wests tortured, raped and murdered an unknown number of women over a 20-year period.

Fred West was charged with 12 murders, but committed suicide in a Birmingham prison before his trial.

Rosemary West was convicted of 10 murders in November 1995 and is serving a life sentence.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 23-07-2011 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anthony Sowell found guilty of murder of 11 women
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14259313

Anthony Sowell (left) had blamed the smell from his house on a nearby sausage shop

A sex offender who lived among the remains of 11 dead women at his home in Cleveland in the US state of Ohio has been convicted of killing all of them.

Anthony Sowell was found guilty of aggravated murder, kidnapping, tampering with evidence and abuse of a human corpse in the 11 deaths.

The 51-year-old former US Marine could face the death penalty.

The bodies were found after police went to arrest Sowell in October 2009 on a sexual assault allegation.

He showed little emotion on Friday as the jury returned their verdict of guilty on 82 counts after more than 15 hours of deliberation.

Police criticised
The trial heard how the women's bodies had been disposed of in refuse bags and plastic sheets, then dumped around Sowell's house and backyard.

Relatives of the victims sobbed in court, as did some of jury
Nearly all of the women had been strangled and were nude from the waist down.

Cleveland's police force was accused of failing to properly investigate when the women began disappearing in 2007 as most of them were impoverished drug addicts.

During the trial, several women gave testimony of alleged attacks by Sowell, who was previously convicted of attempted rape in 1989.

One woman told the court she had been raped by Sowell, and that she had seen a headless body in his home.

Sowell's sentencing begins on 1 August.

Until the discovery of the bodies, many in the neighbourhood believed the bad smell was coming from a nearby sausage shop.

The family-owned shop spent $20,000 (£12,260) on plumbing and other maintenance in attempts to get rid of the odour.
staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
Total posts: 499
PostPosted: 25-07-2011 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sausage shop should sue!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 15-08-2011 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anthony Sowell faces lethal injection for 11 murders
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14509824

Mr Sowell sat with his eyes closed while victims' family members described their sorrow

A US man has been sentenced to death for the murders of 11 women whose remains he kept in his house in Ohio.

Anthony Sowell was found guilty last month of aggravated murder, kidnapping and other charges in the 11 deaths.

At court in Cleveland, the 51-year-old sat with eyes closed as Judge Dick Ambrose read aloud the details of each murder, before passing sentence.

The bodies were found after police went to arrest Sowell in October 2009 on a sexual assault allegation.

His execution by lethal injection was scheduled for 29 October 2012, although it is likely to be delayed by appeals.

Forgiveness
Judge Ambrose described how the women's bodies had been disposed of in bin bags and plastic sheets, then dumped around Sowell's house and backyard.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

For what time you have left on this Earth, I hope you never have peace”

Relative of a Sowell victim
Nearly all of the women had been strangled and were nude from the waist down.

The judge - who gently warned spectators to refrain from outbursts - also read testimony on Friday from several women who survived Sowell's attacks.

He said that evidence of Sowell's troubled childhood, his eight-year service with honourable discharge from the US Marine Corps, and his lawyers' assertions that he was psychotic did not mitigate the crimes.

Judge Ambrose also noted Sowell had spent 15 years in prison for attempted rape.

A woman who survived Sowell's attack embraced a juror at the trial's conclusion
Relatives of his victims were in court to hear the sentence, which had been recommended by a jury a day earlier.

Sowell continued to sit with eyes closed as they gave emotional statements about the impact of his crimes on their lives.

"I have forgiven you," said Kyana Hunt, daughter of murder victim Nancy Cobbs. "The only reason that I have is because I need God to forgive me for whatever I have done wrong."

'Dead man walking'
A woman who survived Sowell's attempt to kill her said she was no longer angry at him.

"I have to forgive him so I can move on with my life," she told the court, "because if I keep the anger inside I can't budge."

Another relative said: "For what time you have left on this Earth, I hope you never have peace because you'll have to answer to God for what you've done."

One woman said Sowell was "a dead man walking".

Another bereaved mother said, weeping: "I never believed in the death penalty until I met you."

The women began to disappear in 2007.

Prosecutors said Sowell had lured them into a rundown three-storey house in Cleveland to drink alcohol and smoke crack cocaine and marijuana.

Sowell then had sex with or violently raped the women, before strangling them with rope, electrical cable or strips of cloth.

The bodies were discovered buried in shallow graves in the backyard or within the house, many wrapped in plastic sheeting or bin liners.

'God have mercy'
Until the discovery of the bodies, many in the neighbourhood believed the bad smell was coming from a nearby sausage shop.

The family-owned business spent $20,000 (£12,260) on plumbing and other maintenance in attempts to get rid of the odour.

Sowell did not address the court on Friday, but on Monday he said in an unsworn statement: "The only thing I want to say is I'm sorry.

"I know that might not sound like much, but I truly am sorry from the bottom of my heart."

After passing sentence, Judge Ambrose urged those victims who had not forgiven Sowell to find a way to do so, suggesting that would be the only way they could move on.

Then, speaking to Sowell, who opened his eyes and looked attentively at the bench, he said: "And may God have mercy on your soul."

As Judge Ambrose banged the gavel and Sowell was led away, the courtroom erupted into cheers, with prosecutors and victims' family members embracing members of the jury.
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5546
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished watching ITV's "Appropriate Adult" - a dramatisation of Fred West's police interviews and the effect they had on Janet Leach, the woman who sat in on them as his "appropriate adult". I understand the drama is largely factually accurate, with some dramatic licence around Leach's personal life.

Assuming the bare bones of the story are accurate, I was astonished that a rookie appropriate adult would have been used in such a case. The drama also hinted at further killings, and suggested a ritualistic element - was this shown to be nonsense, or was it ever followed up? It does seem odd that there was only one murder between 1980 and 1994.
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 8716
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 09:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the drama, but unless things were different at that point in time, then iirc appropriate adults are volunteers and it's not a role a lot of people particularly want, necessarily go into for very appropriate reasons, and probably not one where they stick around for very long either.

It's not unlikely they used her because she was the only one they could get at that time.
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5546
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't see the drama, but unless things were different at that point in time, then iirc appropriate adults are volunteers and it's not a role a lot of people particularly want, necessarily go into for very appropriate reasons, and probably not one where they stick around for very long either.

It's not unlikely they used her because she was the only one they could get at that time.

Yeah - it was suggested that she was the only person available when West was first arrested. I am surprised she was not replaced as soon as a more experienced person was free, however. The facts of the case suggest that the drama was accurate in portraying her as a vulnerable, somewhat emotionally needy woman who bizarrely continued to correspond with West while he was on remand.
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 898
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 14:24    Post subject: One of Gacy's victims is still alive. Reply with quote

A man whose family thought he had been murdered by serial killer John Wayne Gacy has been found alive and living in Oregon, Cook County Sheriff Thomas Dart said Wednesday.

For 35 years, Theodore "Ted" Szal's family thought they had lost him. But this week they learned he actually was alive and had willingly disappeared years ago while going through a divorce.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/21/man-believed-to-be-victim-of-serial-killer-john-wayne-gacy-found-alive/?iref=obnetwork
ghostkissedivoryOffline
Grey
Total posts: 27
PostPosted: 19-01-2012 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this has made the rounds anywhere else, but this was in the headlines in Southern CA over the past couple months, especially in my small hometown of Yorba Linda, where one victim was found murdered on the grounds of the tiny public library, where I spent many a happy hour with my Mother and little brother as a child. Further disturbing is the fact that my brother and I went to high school with the accused killer, my brother having had a class with and graduating the same year as he Shocked

http://www.inquisitr.com/183145/itzcoatl-ocampo-iraq-vet-charged-with-the-first-degree-murder-of-four-homeless-men/
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 19-01-2012 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphs' at link.

Quote:
Serial killing follows predictable pattern based on brain activity
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-01-serial-pattern-based-brain.html
January 18th, 2012 in Other Sciences / Mathematics

A graph of the cumulative number of murders committed by Andrei Chikatilo over 12 years. The irregular plot is a “Devil’s staircase.” Image credit: Simkin and Roychowdhury

(PhysOrg.com) -- Over a period of 12 years, Andrei Chikatilo murdered at least 53 people before being arrested in Rostov, Russia, in 1990. While Chikatilo’s killings, mainly of women and children, may have been senseless, a new study has found some sense in the distribution of intervals between the murders, which closely follows a power law. The researchers propose that the murder activity can be explained by a model describing neuronal firing in the brain, very similar to the model that describes the distribution of intervals between epileptic seizures.

The researchers, Mikhail Simkin and Vwani Roychowdhury, both electrical engineers from the University of California, Los Angeles, began their analysis by making a graph showing Chikatilo’s cumulative number of murders over the 12-year period. The graph is highly irregular, with long time periods with no murders interrupted by short time periods with many murders. The shortest interval between murders was three days, while the longest was more than two years. Due to this irregularity, and the step-like appearance of the plot, mathematicians call this distribution a “Devil’s staircase.”

Next, the researchers graphed the distribution of intervals between murders, clearly showing that short intervals are more common than long intervals. Somewhat surprisingly, this distribution of intervals between murders is very similar to the distribution of intervals between epileptic seizures, with both following a similar power law. Simkin and Roychowdhury note that previous research has suggested a link between epilepsy and criminality (and psychosis), so the possibility that similar processes in the brain may lead to both epileptic seizures and serial murders is not unreasonable.

The researchers previously proposed a model based on the brain’s neuron firing to explain the distribution of intervals between epileptic seizures, and here they’ve applied the same model to explain the distribution of intervals between murders. They hypothesize that the simultaneous firing of a large number of neurons in the brain induces psychotic effects that cause a serial killer to commit murder, similar to the effects that induce epileptic seizures.

Distributions of intervals in the Devil’s staircase plot closely obey a power law simulation. Short intervals between murders occur much more often than longer intervals. Image credit: Simkin and Roychowdhury

The researchers explain that the probability of any neuron firing randomly is small. But since the axon of one neuron can connect to the synapses of thousands of other neurons, if that neuron fires then its impulse could cause others to fire if they’re close to the firing threshold. The model predicts that the killer commits murder when the total number of firing neurons reaches a certain threshold - or “murder zone” - for a certain period of time. During this time of abundant neuron firing, the killer plans, prepares, and carries out the crime.

The model assumes that committing a murder has a sedative effect on the killer, causing neural excitation to fall below the threshold. (Otherwise, the neural excitation would be in the murder zone for half the total time.) But neuron firing must still be close to the threshold, since the probability of a new murder is significantly higher in the days after a murder compared to the average murder rate.

Although the model closely approximates Chikatilo’s behavior, the researchers note that it’s not exact. The biggest disagreement is that the model predicts several one-day intervals between murders, while Chikatilo’s shortest interval was three days. The researchers think that accounting for successful and unsuccessful murder attempts could improve the agreement between the model and data.

Although it’s difficult to tell if understanding the patterns of a serial killer will help prevent murders, the fact that any kind of rational explanation may exist for seemingly irrational behavior is both uncomfortable and revealing.
More information: M.V. Simkin and V.P. Roychowdhury. “Stochastic modeling of a serial killer.” arXiv:1201.2458v1 [physics.soc-ph]

via: Physics arXiv Blog
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1222
PostPosted: 20-01-2012 00:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. That is a fascinating possibility.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 18-03-2012 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far they haven't been charged but the report suggests admissions have been made.

Quote:
Nurses held over 'induced deaths' at Uruguay hospital
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17422271

Up to 50 people could have been killed in the two hospital, reports suggest

Related Stories

Uruguay country profile

Two male nurses have been detained in Uruguay over dozens of suspected induced deaths at two hospitals in the capital Montevideo, police say.

They say the men - aged 49 and 36 - were held following a two-month police investigation.

The alleged killings took place in the cardiology unit of the Maciel Hospital and in the intensive care unit of the Spanish Mutual Care.

Some reports say the suspects had cited "humanitarian reasons".

'Psychopathic behaviour'

The names of the two nurses - who were apparently not working together - have not been released.

Up to 50 people could have been killed through a combination of administered medication and other procedures, reports in Uruguay's media suggest.

Police inspector Jose Luis Roldan said poison from Brazil had been used on patients who were in critical condition, the Associated Press news agency reports.

However, investigators believe that not all the victims were terminally ill.

A spokesperson for one of the hospitals involved said that the deaths were the consequence of "psychopathic behaviour" and not common practice at the medical institution, the BBC's Vladimir Hernandez reports.

Forensic studies are still being carried out and the results could take several days, our correspondent adds.

Uruguay's health ministry has so far made no public comment on the case.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 07-04-2012 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fear of serial killer after four shootings
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0407/1224314496082.html
Sat, Apr 07, 2012

France: French authorities said yesterday they feared a serial killer was operating in Paris after a gunman shot dead a woman in a suburb with a gun used in three other killings in the same area since November.

“This series of killings deserves our maximum attention and we are putting all our resources into this affair,” interior minister Claude Guéant told Europe 1 radio. The same 7.65mm semi-automatic pistol was used in each of the four shootings, prosecutors said.

The latest shooting took place on Thursday when a gunman on a motorbike struck.

Marie-Suzanne Le Queau, a public prosecutor in Evry, a commune in the southern suburbs of Paris, said the common thread of the pistol was “not enough to affirm at this stage that it is all part of the same affair”.

There were obvious similarities in the way the latest three killings were carried out in February, March and this month, but no clear link to that in November, she added.

About 100 investigators were on the case and police were examining several leads.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 25-05-2012 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man held in south-west China 'serial killing' probe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18203587

Villagers thought teenagers had been kidnapped to work in illegal brick kilns

A man has been detained in south-west China by police investigating the disappearance of as many as 17 young boys and teenagers in recent years.

The 56-year-old man was detained earlier this month in Yunnan province on suspicion of killing a teenager, Xinhua news agency reported.

But police widened their investigation following reports of other missing teenagers in the area.

Beijing says it has sent a team of experts to investigate.

What started as a routine murder inquiry now appears could be the case of a serial killer, reports the BBC's Martin Patience in Beijing.

The case came to light after a 19-year-old man disappeared in late April in Yunnan province's Jincheng county.

Xinhua said police discovered some of the teenager's personal belongings while searching the suspect's home.

Reports then emerged of others teenagers who had gone missing in the same area.

Villagers had thought the teenagers had been kidnapped to work in illegal brick kilns, the reports said.

There are reports that some of the other victims may have been dismembered. Local media quoted residents as saying they had seen plastic bags at the suspect's home that appeared to contain bones.

Two senior police officials have also reportedly been removed from their positions for their handling of the case.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 01-10-2012 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Speed Freak Killer' Claims Dozens Of Victims
http://news.sky.com/story/991596/speed-freak-killer-claims-dozens-of-victims
Wesley Shermantine began leading investigators to the bodies of his victims after being offered money by a bounty hunter.
9:17am UK, Monday 01 October 2012

Wesley Shermantine maintained his silence for more than a decade

Chevy Wheeler's parents waited for 26 years

One of the so-called 'speed freak killers', who terrorised California's San Joaquin Valley in the 1980s and 90s, has said he may have killed as many as 72 people.

Wesley Shermantine maintained his silence on death row for a decade but last year started to reveal information about the string of methamphetemine-fuelled murders after a bounty hunter offered to pay him to identify where the bodies of some victims were buried.

Authorities already suspected that Shermantine, along with his childhood friend Loren Herzog, were responsible for 22 deaths but the 46-year-old's claims, if true, would make the pair some of the most prolific serial killers in US history.

In a letter to a reporter he said there were "24x3" victims and suggested that Herzog, who killed himself in January, was largely responsible.

A phone line set up by investigators earlier this year brought calls suggesting that up to 65 missing people could have died at their hands.

Prosecutor Thomas Testa, who tried both men, said such high numbers could have been suggested simply for "shock value".

"We never had a number anywhere near 70," he said. But he added that he "wouldn't discount it entirely ... Maybe there's some fame in a higher number than the next guy."

Shermantine's decision to speak out has led the authorities to the remains of some of the dead.

In February, a number of crudely-drawn maps led investigators to the sites of five bodies, including 16-year-old Chevy Wheeler, who went missing after her mother dropped her off at her school in Stockton, California, in 1985.

Her body, along with the lavender-coloured jumper she was wearing, were found in a shallow grave near the former site of Shermantine's family home in San Andreas, 100 miles northeast of San Francisco.

In 2001, when Shermantine was convicted of the murder of Chevy and four others, he told the girl's parents that they would never find her body.

"My parents will know where I'm at when I'm gone, but you'll never know where Chevy is," Paula Wheeler remembers him saying.

The remains of Cyndi Vanderheiden, who was 25 when she disappeared in 1998, were also unearthed in February, She had been placed in a ravine a short distance away.

Shermantine began mapping the locations of remains he claimed had been discarded in abandoned wells and mine shafts, or buried on remote hillsides and beneath a trailer park, after talking to retired FBI agent Jeffrey Rinek last year.

Before that, a Sacramento-based bounty hunter, Leonard Padilla, had agreed to pay Shermantine up to $33,000 for information leading to remains of his victims.

Herzog who was originally found guilty of three murders, including Vanderheiden's, but had his conviction reduced on appeal to a single count of manslaughter, spent 11 years in prison.

He hanged himself just hours after the bounty hunter involved in the investigation informed him that Shermantine was starting to pinpoint grave sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: