Forums

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Serial Killers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Total posts: 17931
Location: Dublin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life for Craigslist killer aide Brogan Rafferty

Quote:
Brogan Rafferty was 16 when arrested in 2011 for being an accomplice to the murders
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20277727

A teenager who helped kill three men who responded to a fake job advert on the Craigslist website has been given a life sentence.

Brogan Rafferty, 17, helped alleged killer Richard Beasley lure victims to a non-existent Ohio cattle farm.

Rafferty told the court during the sentencing hearing that he wished he had tried to stop the killings.

The teenager was convicted over the deaths of three men on 30 October, after being tried as an adult.

The three killed were Ralph Geiger, 56, David Pauley, 51 and Timothy Kern, 47.

Officials say they were targeted because they were older, single, out-of-work men with backgrounds that made it unlikely their disappearances would be noticed quickly.

A fourth man, Scott Davis, 49, survived after pushing a gun aside and running for help.

Mr Beasley still awaits trial for his alleged role in the murders.

'Nothing of remorse'
During the sentencing hearing on Wednesday, family members read a statement from Mr Davis that reminded Rafferty that they had eaten together before Mr Beasley allegedly attempted to kill him.

The statement reminded Rafferty that he could have stopped "what was about to happen".

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

If it weren't for Richard Beasley, Brogan wouldn't be sitting here”

John Alexander
Defence lawyer
"It was only by the grace of God that I survived," he said. "You took from me a chance to have a normal life."

Barb Dailey, sister of Timothy Kern, told Rafferty that he knew "nothing of remorse" and "nothing of shame".

She told the teenager that without true repentence, "you will be destroyed". Rafferty nodded slightly.

Prosecutors argued during the trial that the young man was a quick student of violence and a willing participant in the killings, while defence lawyers say he went along with Mr Beasley's plan because he feared for his life.

During the hearing, Rafferty said his life had been hell since the killings and said "they must be living in it", while gesturing with at victims' relatives who crowded the court.

"There were many options I couldn't see at the time," he said, describing Mr Beasley as evil and deceitful.

Defence lawyers say that the 17-year-old will testify against his mentor at the upcoming trial.

"If it weren't for Richard Beasley, Brogan wouldn't be sitting here," lawyer John Alexander said.
Back to top
View user's profile 
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Total posts: 17931
Location: Dublin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 14-03-2013 00:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Craigslist killings: Richard Beasley found guilty
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21766320

Richard Beasley may now face the death penalty

The "mastermind" of a plot to lure men to their deaths with bogus jobs ads on the Craigslist website has been found guilty of aggravated murder.

Richard Beasley, 53, could now face the death penalty after being found guilty of murdering three men in Ohio.

His teenage accomplice, Brogan Rafferty, was sentenced to life in prison without parole last November.

A man who survived being shot - a key witness at both trials - gave harrowing testimony of fleeing for his life.

As well as aggravated murder - "aggravated" in this case because the murder was planned in advance - Beasley was convicted of aggravated robbery, kidnapping and attempted murder.

The jury will reconvene, reportedly on 20 March, to consider whether to recommend the death penalty for him.

'Gun cocked'
As the verdict was read out, relatives of the victims hugged and wiped away tears while Beasley slumped over, his head in his hands, and his mother sobbed.

During the trial, prosecutors had argued the three murder victims - each single and out-of-work, with few family ties - had been lured with offers of farmhand jobs.


Brogan Rafferty, who was 16 when arrested in 2011, is serving a life sentence for his part in the murders
But Ralph Geiger, 56, David Pauley, 51 and Timothy Kern, 47, were shot dead. Beasley had intended to rob his victims and steal their identities, prosecutors said.

"He was the mastermind behind this plot,'' said prosecutor Jonathan Baumoel.

Survivor Scott Davis, 49, told the court he had heard a gun being cocked as he walked in front of Beasley after arriving for the supposed job interview.

He pushed the weapon aside and was shot in the arm, he said.

"I spun around,'' testified Mr Davis. "I was worried about bleeding to death."

Mr Davis gave chilling testimony of running through the woods and hiding for seven hours.

Beasley had argued that it was Mr Davis who pulled the gun.

Rafferty had argued at his trial that he had been powerless to stop the killings, saying he feared for his life and the lives of family members.

But this version of events was rejected by the jury.
Back to top
View user's profile 
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Total posts: 705
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 21-08-2013 19:40    Post subject: Video of serial killer Israel Keyes being interrogated Reply with quote

I didn't see a general serial killer thread, or a thread on this one specifically though I found a lot of threads on individual killers.

The FBI has released six hours of video of their interrogation of Israel Keyes in an effort to get more leads.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/08/20/israel_keyes_serial_killer_new_video_footage_shows_the_most_meticulous_serial.html?wpisrc=obinsite
Back to top
View user's profile 
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Total posts: 17931
Location: Dublin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 21-08-2013 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK thread. http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11849
Back to top
View user's profile 
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 21-08-2013 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads combined. P_M
Back to top
View user's profile 
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Joined: 02 Aug 2001
Total posts: 5779
Location: Manchester, UK
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 22-08-2013 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

One gang of serial killers has not appeared on this thread - or anywhere on the Board, so far as I can see. That is despite their notoriety elsewhere on the Web as the producers of a real "snuff" video. They have been called The Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs. Three - later two - Ukrainian teenage nerds, who killed twenty-one people with hammers and other blunt instruments.



The case is described very graphically here.

The video itself does not appear on the page but there may be valid links to it: it is not hard to track down. It is hard to phrase a warning that does not sound like a dare but not even the description on the page will prepare you for those seven and a half minutes.

It might be best to ignore such things entirely but my own attention was drawn to the video by "reaction videos" on Youtube. Two or three of these appear to have been self-posted by boys aged around ten. The soundtrack suggests these are authentic. One boy appears to be traumatized by the experience, as well he might be.

An increasingly popular variant of the "reaction video" has been to show extreme material to elderly relatives. Their reactions are more difficult to read but it would seem to constitute a form of elder-abuse, since they can hardly have given informed consent to what they were about to witness.

That is the place we are now.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Total posts: 17931
Location: Dublin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 27-09-2013 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been a miscarriage of justice regarding the 1994 murder. Given the level of interest this story isn't going to fade away easily.

Quote:
China court rejects killer's claim to additional murder
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-24294935

A Chinese court has rejected a convicted killer's claim that he was responsible for the rape and murder of a woman in 1994, Chinese media report.

Wang Shujin, who has been sentenced to death for raping three other women, murdering two of them, argued that he had also committed the 1994 crime.

Wang had appealed against his sentence, saying it should be reduced given his "confession" to the 1994 killing.

Another man was executed in 1995 after being found guilty of the 1994 crime.

A court gave Wang the death penalty in 2007. However, Wang appealed, on the basis that "prosecutors had not yet prosecuted him for the [additional] rape and murder that took place in [Hebei capital] Shijiazhuang" in 1994, state-run news agency Xinhua reported.

On Friday, the Hebei Provincial Higher People's Court upheld Wang's death sentence, and dismissed his claim that he conducted the 1994 killing.

Wang "used violent methods to rape three women... and killed two of them", the court wrote on its verified microblog. "His methods were ruthless, and the circumstances and consequences of his crimes were serious."

However, "prosecutors identified major discrepancies in Wang's testimony in relation to the Shijiazhuang rape and murder case", and the court supported the prosecutors argument that the 1994 case "was not the doing of Wang", the court added.

Courts in China often give lighter sentences to defendants who confess to crimes.

The unusual court appeal, which saw the prosecutors seeking to affirm Wang's innocence in relation to the 1994 crime, generated significant controversy and debate in China.

The subject "Wang Shujin case" was trending on Sina Weibo, one of China's Twitter-like microblogs, on Friday.

Many microblog users were worried that Nie Shubin, who was found guilty of the 1994 crime, had been wrongly executed.
Back to top
View user's profile 
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Joined: 24 May 2006
Total posts: 3923
Location: Midwich
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 14-10-2013 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in the Quick/Bergwall case from Sweden - the serial killer who never was, or might have been, or...who knows (delete to taste) - I've tagged an article from The Guardian onto the post I made of Hannes Råstam's book, Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer, on the Suggestions for a good read thread.

Quote:
...Until relatively recently, Sture Bergwall was Sweden's most notorious serial killer. He had confessed to more than 30 murders and been convicted of eight. He called himself Thomas Quick. Assuming this sinister alter ego, he claimed during a succession of therapy sessions at Säter over the years that he had maimed, raped and eaten the remains of his victims, the youngest of whom was a nine-year-old girl whose body has never been found...etc


Link on the aforementioned thread.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group