Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Moa the merrier
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 00:43    Post subject: The Moa the merrier Reply with quote

1993 Moa sighting and photo?

http://jules.org/news-in-brief%288-97%29.html#moa
Quote:
In January 1993, three hikers in New Zealand’s Craigieburn Range (west of the city of Christchurch) reportedly saw a roughly 6 foot tall flightless bird. They saw it at a distance of approximately 115 to 130 feet for about 30 seconds and managed to take a grainy photo before it ran off into the forest. They believe it was a moa.
Quote:
Independent photographic analysis by the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch shows promising results. The analysis confirmed the approximate size and distance by the hikers. The image was blurry, but three-dimensional– a silhouette cut out and a model of a moa had been ruled out.

There had been speculation that an emu or ostrich (both large and non-native birds) could have caused the sighting, but neither are large enough and no escaped emus or ostriches are known on the island. The analysis also ruled out 4 legged animals such as red deer (introduced from Europe) or a llama (possibly escaped). The conclusions were: it was a bird, a very large bird with a thickly feathered “neck” area. Photo analysis of the negative produced no further details.
Anyone else heard of this? Is the actual photo online anywhere, or is this another "Thunderbird Photograph"?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 02:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo does exist,but I've never been able to see much of anything in it.There's a small reproduction of it,along with the enhancement,in Vol.11,no.4 of the International Society of Cryptozoology newsletter,but it's pretty bad.

I have seen a larger,supposedly clearer version somewhere,but I can't recall where.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 04:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in New Zealand in 1998, I read somewhere in a local paper there that the two German hikers who had written down their moa sighting in a hut logbook on one of the Great Walks trails, had actually been tracked back to Germany by a local biologist and had, upon questioning, admitted that they had put their sighting down in the hut logbook as a joke...

How's that for a 3rd hand citation as a debunking? Not to mention that two German hikers are now 3 hikers with a camera in your report... Maybe the moa have ghosts too?
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8265
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 09:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this photo was published in FT too.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon reflection,I think I saw it in FT some years ago.I have back issues going back to about '96,I'll look through them later today.
Mama_KittyOffline
Mummified
Total posts: 747
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have been an earlier one, I'm obsessed with moas for no reason and I don't remember seeing a pic in FT, I've been a subscriber since about 1995.
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6063
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt be suprised if there was a few moa still around. NZ is a pretty wild place.
lopaka3Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2163
PostPosted: 13-01-2004 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homo Aves wrote:

I wouldnt be suprised if there was a few moa still around. NZ is a pretty wild place.

Don't ever like to simply dismiss possibilities out of hand, but I'm extremely dubious whether that could be so. We're talking about large birds (the smallest species was turkey-sized) that there has been no reliable evidence of extant populations for something like 400 years. The 1800's "sightings" are now generally believed to be bogus. One can always hope, of course.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 14-01-2004 03:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked through my back issues of FT and Strange Magazine both and can't find larger,somewhat better version of this photo.I'm sure I did see one somewhere(kind of like the Thunderbird picture).

There are good accounts of this incident,but no picture,in both"Cryptozoology A to Z"by Coleman and Clark and in Karl Shuker's new book"The Beasts That Hide From Man",although I don't know if Dr. Shuker's book is available yet in the UK.
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19943
PostPosted: 16-06-2005 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Slow growers lose race for survival

Thursday June 16, 2005
The Guardian

The extinction of the giant moas of New Zealand was partly due to the length of time it took for them to reach reproductive maturity, say scientists. The long growth period made them vulnerable when humans first arrived on the island 700 years ago.

Samuel Turvey, of the Institute of Zoology in London, studied bones from the extinct birds, which contain growth rings analogous to those in trees. "Even things like ostrich will get to full adult size in a year so there's not enough time for any kind of seasonal evidence like [rings] to deposit in their bones," he says. "The fact that moas show up to nine growth rings shows that their growth was spectacularly slowed down compared to any of their living survivors."

The largest moas reached 240kg, stood up to 2m tall and had few natural enemies. But that left them in danger when the Maoris got to New Zealand around the 14th century.

www.guardian.co.uk/life/dispatch/story/0,,1507152,00.html
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1454
PostPosted: 17-06-2005 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the picture not exist online somewhere? I'd love to see it!!
TheQuixoteOffline
Total posts: 4085
PostPosted: 17-06-2005 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[...] In January 1993, on the West Coast, three people, Paddy Freaney, Sam Waby and Rochelle Rafferty, claimed to have seen a large bird they suspect was a Moa. They took a picture of it while it ran away, displaying a blurry photograph showing a medium pink-brown horizontal body, a tall erect neck, and a head that may be looking towards the camera. After photo analysis was done, the picture was confirmed as real, but it was said that the subject could be either a large bird or a red deer.
[...]

source

(includes the photo too)
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1454
PostPosted: 17-06-2005 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quixote wrote:
Quote:
[...] In January 1993, on the West Coast, three people, Paddy Freaney, Sam Waby and Rochelle Rafferty, claimed to have seen a large bird they suspect was a Moa. They took a picture of it while it ran away, displaying a blurry photograph showing a medium pink-brown horizontal body, a tall erect neck, and a head that may be looking towards the camera. After photo analysis was done, the picture was confirmed as real, but it was said that the subject could be either a large bird or a red deer.
[...]

source

(includes the photo too)

Quixote, excellent find!! Very interesting, it does look exactly like the moa models at museums and such. Only other bird that looks awfully similar to the moa (that I can think of from teh top of my head) would be a small chick. (baby chicken)
DougalLongfootOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 467
PostPosted: 04-12-2006 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on holiday in New Zealand recently there was an article on their breakfast TV program about a new book on NZ cryptozoology. Unfortunately I only saw the promo and was in the shower when the actual article was on. Any FTMB members from NZ see the article and know the book?
gordonrutterOffline
The Indescribable Horror that is a
Total posts: 907
PostPosted: 05-12-2006 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougalLongfoot wrote:
While on holiday in New Zealand recently there was an article on their breakfast TV program about a new book on NZ cryptozoology. Unfortunately I only saw the promo and was in the shower when the actual article was on. Any FTMB members from NZ see the article and know the book?

Australian rather than Kiwi but might this be it?
link
It came out on the first of November this year.

Gordon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: