Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ghosts Online: The Haunted Internet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 17-09-2006 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that computers had a sort of consciousness but what with the WWW taken into the equation it would be more human.
I mean if you are not aware but you have to sort out thought processes, you have to be a little, shall we say aware [just like us humans really. I mean we are not aware of most of our thinking a lot happens in the background, it seems though that the thoughts that are important at the very moment we are aware of, dunno if you can call that "being consious" though].
It all gives me the creeps as we really couldn't check it out if our computers are aware because if we tried they wouldn't even know that we exist, we are merely "urges" to do a certain thing and there is no way of communicating by typing questions either.
Imagine what the computer reality would look like, all images, text etc would be in binary, they don't even know what a tree looks like but they might "know" what it is like in binary. So all our knowledge would be something completely different to them.
I can't really follow my own thoughts there but it does give me the [inquisitive] creeps nevertheless.
Kelly199Offline
Grey
Total posts: 4
PostPosted: 29-09-2006 03:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is creepy! Maybe computers are discussing what the nature of their "sleep" is when we turn them off at night! Yikes! Turn that thought around and who the heck is turning US off??!
OldTimeRadioOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 5532
PostPosted: 29-09-2006 07:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingo667 wrote:
....we really couldn't check it out if our computers are aware because if we tried they wouldn't even know that we exist, we are merely "urges" to do a certain thing....[Computers] don't even know what a tree looks like but they might "know" what it is like in binary.

I don't believe that I've ever before seen that stated so elegantly, so cogently or so completely.
MoonchimeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: 06-10-2006 23:10    Post subject: Re: Online with the dead Reply with quote

yetifeet1975 wrote:
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum, but have been a long time reader and fan of FT.
I am currently working in a place thats in the news quiet a lot and recently I experienced something that sort of freaked me out a little bit.

Last december ('05) a freind of mine from South Africa, NG, was killed over here in a very violent way, that was witnessed by another friend who was traveling in another vehicle behind him.

Three weeks ago I was on MSM messenger. (for those that dont have it, MSM allows people to chat online. when one of you contacts logs online, a little box appears saying that so and so has logged on and then you can chat with them.)
I was emailing a friend when all of a sudden a little box appeared in the corner telling me that NG had logged on.
He had been dead for 8 months and during that whole time there had been no other activity at all from his log on (I hadnt removed it from my friends list out of respect )
He was logged on for at least 10mins, but I didnt click the box to chat with him.
Im not a superstious man, nor a religious one,or even one that can spell all that well, but it did kind of freak me out as I was due to go somewhere that afternoon that was a little bit hairy, but luckily it was cancelled at the last minute.
Was this some kind of warning from the otherside?
Im just wondering if any others have experienced this before?

When the dead wish to communicate with us--they have a limited amount of options. Electronic devices are one of the most effecient ways they can get through to us. They have left their physical body and are now in the spiritual realm. They have spiritual energy. Spiritual entities try to reach out through us many times by using electronic methods, since this is more readily available to them. I believe your friend was trying to send you a message by letting you know he was still around--and that he is okay on the plane in which his spirit now resides.~Moonchime
OldTimeRadioOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 07-10-2006 04:50    Post subject: Re: Online with the dead Reply with quote

Moonchime wrote:
When the dead wish to communicate with us--they have a limited amount of options. Electronic devices are one of the most effecient ways they can get through to us. They have left their physical body and are now in the spiritual realm. They have spiritual energy. Spiritual entities try to reach out through us many times by using electronic methods, since this is more readily available to them.

Very interesting approach. Thank you for posting it.
HospitallerOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 422
PostPosted: 07-05-2007 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

A close friend of mine has just received 2 e-mails from a mutual close friend who died just under 2 years ago. She logged on to her laptop (which formerly belonged to our deceased mutual friend - let's call him "Joe") and was thinking of her recently deceased cat. Just then she got 2 mails, one after the other from "Joe", both containing comforting poems about dead pets and the afterlife along with little gif images of an angel, 2 roses and a kitten and puppy. She forwarded the mail to me and I replied to it with a "test" mail, and immediately got an error message saying that the address was defunct. We're both highly sceptical in this regard, but are at a loss where to start with Occam's razor on this one! Ideas anyone... confused
OldTimeRadioOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 07-05-2007 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the emails dated?

I've known postings to "hang up" in the pipeline for a month or even two but nearly two years seems extreme. But it might be possible.

But they should still bear the original send-date.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 07-05-2007 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a whole load of technical reasons that could account for (and Im assuming this is what occurred) your friend suddenly finding 2 unread emails in her inbox, that were originally sent to her and that she had received while "Joe" was still alive.

Im not that up-to-speed with the current technology any more, but the message headers part of the email, if you can access them, will allow its route to be traced, to a degree. However email protocol is pretty slack by its own nature and easy to bend any number of ways, should someone so wish.

What is interesting is the timing of the emails and their specific content. It would be a worthy incident, even if "Joe" were not deceased, and had sent those emails without being aware of your pals recent loss. The fact that "Joe" has also passed on makes the whole thing kind of spooky-on-spooky.
HospitallerOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 422
PostPosted: 07-05-2007 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTimeRadio wrote:
Were the emails dated?

I've known postings to "hang up" in the pipeline for a month or even two but nearly two years seems extreme. But it might be possible.

But they should still bear the original send-date.

Yip, they had today's date. A techie m8 tells me that u can mask the address from which u send a mail, so there could b some idiot behind it, tho no potential culprits spring to mind.
yetifeet1975Offline
Im the person my mother warned me about..
Total posts: 27
PostPosted: 08-05-2007 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since that first post I have had two more friends pass on, so now I have the three of them in a "group" and Im waiting for one of them to get back to me.
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 08-05-2007 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospitaller - Post the emails if you still have them and they are postable.
AbendsternOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 97
PostPosted: 08-05-2007 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Hospitaller:

Again, this could just be administration: if there were draft emails in a deceased person's file, and it had only just emerged (to the email provider) that this person was dead, they might just take it upon themselves to send any drafts.....

Otherwise, it could well be an e-card which can be sent without going directly to the e-mail account (a bit like the news websites which allow you to send articles to friends).

If not: This is WELL SPOOKY
OldTimeRadioOffline
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 09-05-2007 02:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing's spooky in any case.
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 09-05-2007 07:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:
...spooky-on-spooky.
markbellisOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 530
PostPosted: 09-05-2007 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few sites that let you send email at some predetermined time in the future such as:

http://www.futureme.org/

I'd just write "SEE U REAL SOON!!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: