Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ghosts Online: The Haunted Internet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katrinkaOffline
Grey
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: 11-05-2007 03:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a very strange experience a few weeks ago.

I had left my computer running a macro program overnight. This is program which lets you record a series of keystrokes to perform a certain action you wish to perform more than once, and then repeats the keystrokes however many times you instruct it to. In other words, when it is running, a macro program completely takes over your keyboard. The particular program I use can only be stopped by pressing two specific keys.

I was running the macro program on work that was online, and using the Firefox browser.

When I checked the program the next morning, the macro program was still running but the keystrokes were off and not hitting in the fields where they were supposed to hit. I discovered that this was because something had been added to the bottom of the screen that had not been there the night before, i.e., a search box. Furthermore, a word had been typed into the search box, and that word was "hell."

As I said the macro program takes over the keyboard. So unless it is manually stopped, it is impossible for any other action to be performed while it is running. To open a search box in Firefox requires pressing keys (or clicking on menu items) that I definitely had not recorded as part of my macro.

I'm hoping that who, er, ever took over my keyboard in the middle of the night (and it certainly was not my roommate or myself) was attempting to type "hello"....
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14896
PostPosted: 11-05-2007 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search box wasn't copyrighted to "Slemen", was it?
PostPosted: 11-05-2007 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

katrinka wrote:
As I said the macro program takes over the keyboard. So unless it is manually stopped, it is impossible for any other action to be performed while it is running. To open a search box in Firefox requires pressing keys (or clicking on menu items) that I definitely had not recorded as part of my macro...

I take it the mouse still works. And can be used to open an application. And block copy text / individual characters from one place to another?
snavej1Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 48
PostPosted: 11-05-2007 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a ghost. My body was killed last week in a freak origami accident and I have since been roaming the earth and spooking people, especially on the internet. BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! God bless the internet!
katrinkaOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 12-05-2007 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:

It was the ordinary search box that is built into the Firefox browser. I don't know what "Slemen" means?
katrinkaOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 12-05-2007 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frobush wrote:
katrinka wrote:
As I said the macro program takes over the keyboard. So unless it is manually stopped, it is impossible for any other action to be performed while it is running. To open a search box in Firefox requires pressing keys (or clicking on menu items) that I definitely had not recorded as part of my macro...

I take it the mouse still works. And can be used to open an application. And block copy text / individual characters from one place to another?

When the macro program is running, the mouse does not work and cannot be used to open any other application.
Diabolik8
Disenchanted Bast
PostPosted: 13-05-2007 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

katrinka wrote:
gncxx wrote:

It was the ordinary search box that is built into the Firefox browser. I don't know what "Slemen" means?

(Adjective) Marked by or exhibiting a lack of reliability, due to questionable existence of source material.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14896
PostPosted: 13-05-2007 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

katrinka wrote:
gncxx wrote:

There was a spate of mysterious computer applications appearing unbidden on PCs around the world that bore the trade name "Slemen". It happened a good five years ago and seems to have dried up now. I just thought your story might be a return of that.
rynner
PostPosted: 13-05-2007 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a little threadlet once on Slemen-Nemels
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686

...but it's not very informative now, as all the links are dead!
katrinkaOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 13-05-2007 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
katrinka wrote:
gncxx wrote:

There was a spate of mysterious computer applications appearing unbidden on PCs around the world that bore the trade name "Slemen". It happened a good five years ago and seems to have dried up now. I just thought your story might be a return of that.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard of that. I use the Firefox browser precisely because it is supposed to be more secure than IE. What appeared on my computer wasn't really an application, though. It was simply the search box one opens by pressing either ctrl + F, or clicking on Edit, then Find on the Page, from the menu bar at the top of the screen. But since the macro was running, neither of these actions should have been possible to perform, much less should it have been possible to type a word in the search box that was somehow opened. Yet somehow this unrelated function had been performed between the time I left the macro running for the night, and the time I checked it (still running) the next morning.
solsticebelleOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 32
PostPosted: 13-05-2007 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

katrinka wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard of that. I use the Firefox browser precisely because it is supposed to be more secure than IE. What appeared on my computer wasn't really an application, though. It was simply the search box one opens by pressing either ctrl + F, or clicking on Edit, then Find on the Page, from the menu bar at the top of the screen. But since the macro was running, neither of these actions should have been possible to perform, much less should it have been possible to type a word in the search box that was somehow opened. Yet somehow this unrelated function had been performed between the time I left the macro running for the night, and the time I checked it (still running) the next morning.

I also use Firefox and was wondering if the searchbox had turned red as it does when the word is not found on the page. Also, could somebody in your house have stopped the program, done a search, and then restarted the program?
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1131
PostPosted: 13-05-2007 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrinka -- I was thinking either a bug - the macro pulled in a piece of data or a keystroke combination or equivalent and you saw the results onscreen. Lets face it, operating systems and applications are riddled with bugs.

...Or, a hacker, mal-ware, etc - you say your machine was running the macro against a web-page, then was it online? Someone could have hacked you up.

Hospitaller -- Id still like you to see the emails if possible... If they were old emails that appeared to be resent then a restore of backed-up data could account for it (either at sender or receivers end). If brand new emails, then I would search the web an see if they are generic/chain letters/spoof etc etc.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several threads merged.

P_M
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2834
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is suitable for here but I've had a curious thing occur several times in the last few months.

Our apartment has the bedroom on a mezzanine above the front room, so when you are in bed you are effectively still in the front room.

Our Mac is in the front room and at night after a while goes into sleep mode. As far as I am aware this can only be undone by pressing a key on the keyboard or moving the mouse.

Several times now we have been in bed in total darkness when suddenly the room has been lit by the Mac screen coming back to life. I guess it must be the room settling and maybe something moving and knocking the mouse but to happen more than once is a little odd.

There is maybe some technical answer, a programme forcing the Mac out of sleep mode, I don't know.
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4973
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

McAvennie_ wrote:
There is maybe some technical answer, a programme forcing the Mac out of sleep mode, I don't know.

Oh so when I turn on the webcam it lights up the screen at your end, okay, I'll remember that. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: