Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Endurance in extremity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21466
PostPosted: 11-09-2012 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shipwrecked Alaska teen Ryan Harris rescued from bin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19564889

A photo taken from a nearby vessel shows the Coast Guard helicopter as it rescued Harris

A teenage Alaska fisherman cast adrift when a wave sank his boat floated for 26 hours in a plastic fish bin before his rescue by the US Coast Guard.

Ryan Harris, 19, spent Friday night in a 4ft (1.2m) by 4ft container before he was spotted.

His shipmate was able to don a survival suit after their 28-ft boat overturned off the coast of Sitka, Alaska, and drifted safely to shore.

Mr Harris told news media he sang songs to keep his spirits up.

The Kaitlin Rai overturned on Friday afternoon, tossing Mr Harris and crew mate Stonie "Mac" Huffman into the water.

Mr Harris took refuge in a bin used to store fish, and the two men were soon separated by the waves.

Mr Harris said he repeated to himself for hours the mantra, "I'm Ryan Hunter Harris and I'm not going to die here", and sang Rudolf, the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Row, Row, Row Your Boat, he told the Daily Sitka Sentinel.

"I never thought I was going to die, but I was worried about Mac," Mr Harris told the newspaper.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 18-09-2012 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Motorcyclist found alive in ditch three days after crash
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-19635910

A motorcyclist has been found alive six feet down a ditch in South Yorkshire almost three days after crashing.

The 40-year-old man had been reported missing by his partner after he went out on his new motorbike last Tuesday, sparking a major police search.

Police said he was found seriously injured in the ditch near Thorne where he had been for three nights.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It is a credit to his determination that he is still alive”

Insp Rob Cocker
Insp Rob Cocker said: "All officers feared the worst and it was very pleasing to find the man alive."

The man, from Goole, East Yorkshire, was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary where he is being treated for injuries including broken ribs and hypothermia.

Humberside Police said the man, who has not been named, was reported missing by his partner after he failed to turn up for work a day after she last spoke to him.

A missing person investigation was started by police on Wednesday.

Police said the last thing they knew was that the man had been planning to go out riding on his bike last Tuesday.

Bike debris
Insp Cocker said it was also established that his phone had not been used for at least 24 hours nor moved from its location in a very unpopulated, large rural area, south of Snaith.

A major police search began with two full days of searching rivers, reservoirs, fields, ditches and houses, and any other likely location that the man could have been.

Police said a small amount of debris from a motorbike had been found at the A614 near Thorne at 11:20 BST last Thursday.

Firefighters and paramedics were called to join the search and the man was found at 12:14 BST lying in water in a ditch between East Cowick and Thorne.

Police said they believed the biker had crashed into a signpost and travelled 200m further along the carriageway before coming to rest in the ditch.

Insp Cocker said: "This was a large-scale missing person inquiry and required resources being pulled in from Scunthorpe and Hull and the use of the South Yorkshire helicopter for three days."

He added: "It is a credit to his determination that he is still alive."
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13098
PostPosted: 10-05-2013 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22477414

Quote:
A woman has been pulled alive from the ruins of an eight-storey building that collapsed in a suburb of Bangladesh's capital, Dhaka, 17 days ago.

Rescuers said the woman, named Reshma, was found in the remains of the second floor of the Rana Plaza after they heard her crying: "Please save me."

She has been taken to hospital, but is not thought to have serious injuries.

More than 1,000 are now confirmed to have died, most of them women working in clothes factories....

Soldiers were reported to have been preparing to break through a large concrete slab at about 15:15 local time (10:15 GMT) on Friday when the woman was discovered.

The worker who first discovered her told the BBC Bengali service: "I was cutting iron rods when I suddenly found a silvery stick just moving from a hole.

"I looked closer and heard someone calling 'Please save me'. I immediately called over soldiers and firefighters."

Officers ordered workers operating heavy machinery to stop, and rescuers used video and audio detection equipment to locate her exact position.

Crews saw a woman waving her hand, and she shouted "I'm still here" and told rescuers her name was Reshma.

Within minutes, hundreds of soldiers and firefighters rushed to the scene to help clear the rubble, says the BBC's Akbar Hossain in Dhaka.

The woman said that she was not badly hurt, and she was given water and biscuits while handsaws and drilling equipment were brought in to cut through iron rods and debris.

Rescuers worked for 40 minutes before finally pulling her from the rubble, amid cheers from the crowd.

She was taken to an ambulance and then rushed to the nearby Combined Military Hospital for evaluation and treatment.

She later told local TV from her hospital bed that she never dreamt she would see daylight again.

"I heard voices of the rescue workers for several days. I kept hitting the wreckage with sticks and rods to attract their attention. No-one heard me," she said.

"I ate dried food for 15 days. The last two days I had nothing but water..."

Such a dreadful story, but I suppose we should be thankful there were any survivors at all, especially after that length of time. Far from thankful that it happened in the first place.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26205
PostPosted: 14-06-2013 07:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

A remarkable story!

Man survives three days trapped under sea
[Video]
13 June 2013 Last updated at 16:00

A chef for an oil company has survived three days trapped at the bottom of the sea after his boat capsized off the coast of Nigeria.
Harrison Okene managed to survive in a small air pocket, drinking Coca Cola.

His rescue came down only to chance, when he responded to the distant sound of nearby divers who were expecting to recover bodies from the boat.
Jed Chamberlain, from DCN Global diving company, described how the rescue unfolded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22892658

And after he was rescued, he had to spend two and a half days in a decompression chamber. No wonder he gets nightmares.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 14-06-2013 07:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky, lucky, guy! Shocked
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 17-06-2013 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
British man survives 15th floor fall in New Zealand
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22932001

Mr Stilwell fell from his building block, Volt Apartments in Auckland

A British man has survived a fall from the 15th floor of a building in New Zealand, local media report.

Tom Stilwell fell from his neighbour's balcony in his apartment block in Auckland at 02:00 local time on Sunday (14:00 GMT on Saturday), reports said.

He was trying to lower himself onto his balcony, which was directly below his neighbour's, when he fell, police said.

His friends said that he had bone fractures and internal injuries, but was "fine" and "a very lucky man".

He was awake and laughing on Monday, but had no recollection of what happened, his friends told New Zealand newsgroup Fairfax Media.

"He looks alright," his flatmate, Beth Goodwin, said. "It's more internal injuries. He's broken some bones in his ribs and neck but they're not important bones."

Continue reading the main story
More survivors of spectacular falls

"The odds may be against it, but others have lived after even more dramatic plummets.

"Juliane Koepcke, 17, was flying over the Peruvian rainforest with her mother when her plane was hit by lightning. But she survived a two-mile (3.2km) fall.

"In January 1972, 22-year-old Yugoslav flight attendant Vesna Vulovic's plane exploded following a suspected terrorist bomb. The Guinness Book of Records recorded that Ms Vulovic plummeted 33,000ft (10,160m) before landing in snow."

Read more
In a statement, New Zealand police said: "It appears that the man was locked out of his 14th floor apartment. He fell while attempting to climb down the outside of the building from a 15th floor apartment directly above his, in an effort to gain access via his balcony."

There were "no suspicious circumstances surrounding the fall", the statement added.

'Tipsy but polite'
The 20-year-old is said to be in New Zealand on a working holiday.

Mr Stilwell discovered he was locked out of his flat early on Sunday, and asked a neighbour if he could climb down from her balcony into his flat, his friends said.

The neighbour, Geraldine Bautista, told the New Zealand Herald that Mr Stilwell was "a little tipsy" but polite.

"I wasn't scared of him - he just requested 'Can you please let me jump off from the balcony? I will not bother you, just let me use your balcony.'"

"I never thought he would really do that. In my mind I thought 'Okay, I'll just let you see that it's really impossible. I didn't think he'd jump, because it's really scary."

However, he quickly pulled himself over the balcony railing before she could stop him, she said.

"I thought I was dreaming... it happened within seconds," she said. "I couldn't even scream for help."

Mr Stilwell's fall was broken by the roof of an adjacent building, reportedly some 13 floors below.

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition, but was in a satisfactory condition by Monday, a hospital spokesperson said.

Dr Tony Smith, a medical director at St John, an emergency healthcare organisation, told the New Zealand Herald that a person's chances of survival were increased if they were able to break their fall on something.

However, "survival from falls of that height are extraordinarily unusual", he said.

In December 2007, New York window cleaner Alcides Moreno plummeted 47 floors when cables holding the platform he and his brother were working on failed. His brother died but Mr Moreno made a full recovery, something doctors attributed in part to his escaping major head injuries.

In June 2010 a four-year-old boy escaped with minor injuries after falling from the 17th floor of a hotel in Miami. Joey Williams, who bounced off palm trees as he fell to the 10th-floor pool area, was sitting up in bed by the next day.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1025
PostPosted: 18-06-2013 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that one made my stomach flip. Lucky man.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-07-2013 07:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, six, pulled alive from Indiana sand dune
[video]

A six-year-old boy has been rescued after being trapped under a sand dune in Indiana for more than three hours, according to US media reports.
The child was in a critical condition on Saturday but was responding well to treatment, hospital officials said.

He reportedly fell into a hole at Mount Baldy on the shores of Lake Michigan on Friday evening and was buried under 11ft (3.4m) of sand.
Michigan City Fire Chief Ronnie Martin said an air pocket had kept him alive.

Fire fighters and police officers, with the help of excavators, spent three and a half hours digging until they pulled the boy out at about 20:00 on Friday (00:00 GMT).

"He isn't out of the woods yet, but... they found him," the Michigan City News-Dispatch quoted La Porte County Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman as saying.
"It is totally amazing. They got him out and rushed him to the hospital."

Reports said the boy, who has not been named, had been with his family at the dune near Michigan City, but they had not seen him fall into the hole.
He was already partially submerged in the sand when they found him. When they tried to extract him, he fell further inside and disappeared. Shocked

A statement from the Chicago hospital where the child was being treated said: "He is listed in critical condition, but when he arrived he was able to respond to simple commands and he has responded well to mechanical ventilation."
It said his parents wanted to thank everyone involved in the rescue effort and asked people to "include this little boy in their prayers".

Mount Baldy is the tallest moving sand dune in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, which covers 15 miles (25km) of the southern shore of Lake Michigan, according to the US National Park Service.

Park officials said the dune would be closed for the weekend while investigators determined the cause of the accident and whether there was any further danger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23303769
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-08-2013 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romney Marsh crash driver rescued after 14 hours

A man who was trapped upside down in his car in a ditch filled with water for 14 hours has been rescued.
The 44-year-old driver came off the A2070 in Romney Marsh at about 02:00 BST on Tuesday, but was not discovered until nearly 16:00 BST that afternoon.
Kent Fire and Rescue were called to the scene by a lorry driver who had spotted the back wheels of the vehicle.

The man was trapped in an air pocket at the rear of the car, which was almost submerged in 4ft (1.2m) of water. Shocked
Watch manager Alan Brown said firefighters used hydraulic cutting equipment to release the hatchback door, and then winched the car partially up the bank before rescuing the man.

He was treated at the scene by paramedics and a doctor before being taken to the William Harvey Hospital, in Ashford, where he is currently in a stable condition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23697669
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 09-09-2013 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 hours? That's nothing!

Uruguayan man survives freezing four-month Andes ordeal

A Uruguayan man who went missing in May while trying to cross the Andes mountains from Chile to Argentina has been found alive, officials say.
Raul Fernando Gomez Circunegui, 58, got lost in snowstorms after his motorbike broke down.
He was found in a mountain shelter at an altitude of more than 2,800m (9,300ft) by Argentine officials.
Mr Gomez survived by eating leftover supplies in the shelter and whatever else he could catch, including rats.

He has been taken to hospital in an emaciated and dehydrated state, but is expected to make a full recovery.
Argentine officials from the north-western province of San Juan stumbled across Mr Gomez after arriving in the area near the shelter by helicopter to record snow levels.
An enfeebled Mr Gomez was able to open the shelter's door and alert the crew to his presence.

"The truth is that this is a miracle. We still can't believe it," San Juan Governor Jose Luis Gioja told the local Diario de Cuyo newspaper.
"We let him talk to his wife, his mother and his daughter... I asked him: 'Are you a believer?' He told me, 'no, but now I am.'"

He is reported to have lost 20kg (44lb) during the ordeal and is dehydrated, according to media reports.
A doctor who examined him was surprised by his resilience, according to Uruguayan newspaper El Pais.
"He's a patient with high blood pressure, a history of smoking and signs of undernourishment," the doctor was quoted as saying. "But he's going to be fine and in a few days we're going to discharge him."

Members of a Uruguayan rugby team famously survived sub-zero Andean temperatures for 72 days in 1972 by eating the bodies of other plane crash victims.
They were travelling from Montevideo to Santiago to play against against a local team when their plane crashed.
Sixteen of the 45 passengers survived.
They were located after two passengers took a chance and left on a 10-day trek. They were spotted by a farmer who alerted the emergency services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-24013081
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 01-11-2013 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man, 80, fights bear, falls off cliff – and survives
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/31/man-80-fights-bear-survives?CMP=fb_gu
Octogenarian Russian shepherd kicks and headbutts animal, which tosses him off a cliff – but he lives to tell the tale

The Guardian, Thursday 31 October 2013 18.35 GMT

It is not known what species of bear the man tussled with, but brown bears are very common in the region. Photograph: Xavier Fores/Joana Roncero/Alamy
An octogenarian versus a hungry Russian bear. It was a confrontation that could have ended only one way, and yet shepherd Yusuf Alchagirov was sitting upright in bed this week and happily munching on the three traditional pies his family had baked in celebration at his survival.

The bear approached Alchagirov, 80, in a raspberry field in the southern Russian region of Kabardino-Balkaria last week, but despite his age, Alchagirov showered kicks and headbutts on the bear and managed to knock it off balance.

The bear, apparently irritated by the feisty shepherd, tossed him off a cliff and sauntered away, said Alchagirov in an interview with local television. He was hospitalised with bruises, bite wounds and four broken ribs, but was spared a mauling, and released within a few days. It is not known whether the bear suffered any lasting injuries.

"I got off easy. It would have killed me if I'd chickened out," Alchagirov said.

Bears attack humans only when they are either provoked or hungry, according to Russian experts. Over the autumn there have been a number of reports of hungry bears approaching villages in the far east of the country, after devastating floods destroyed much of their natural food sources.

In the region of Yakutia, one town witnessed six bear incursions in a month, and local authorities reported hungry animals breaking into people's houses and emptying the fridges. The bears became such a nuisance that a programme was put in place to shoot the scavenging animals.

In the most recent case, locals believed the bear was probably only playing with Alchagirov, Russian media said, and thus were not planning to track down the animal.
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4001
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:

Sounds like he bearly survived.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:
ramonmercado wrote:

Sounds like he bearly survived.

He could have come to a grizzly end.
Father_TedOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 44
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly gives you paws for thought.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13098
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll teach him to stop ursine about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 18 of 21

Jump to: