Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Miscellaneous ghost photos and videos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redhead666Offline
Eat right, exercise, die anyway.
Total posts: 129
PostPosted: 22-02-2011 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

coaly wrote:
It's not artifact, and it's not a long shutter speed. Two options, it's either manipulated, or a mirror/display pic. The pixels are uniform to the entire photograph, but there's some fogging, or blurring around the edges, (Not motion blur).

I do genuinely look forward to seeing the other pics from the shop, and the recreation. Smile

I can absolutely assure you the pic has never been tampered with. The photos went straight to the store photo-lab to be printed from the camera, then to a drawer in the cosmetic department, where they get glanced at every now and then.

Once I post a pic of the area in question, you will also see how there is nothing there for reflection----just some white shelves with makeup products on them.
Redhead666Offline
PostPosted: 22-02-2011 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

linesmachine wrote:
It sure is an odd image.

@redhead666: Does the image at all resemble any of the other people who were at the location that day? I ask because I've seen something similar caught with a digital camera last year. When shooting indoors cameras struggle with exposure, and when the indoor area is well lit (like this) the camera doesn't fire the flash, it chooses to use a longer shutter time instead. This might account for the decapitated head, but I'm not convinced.

Many people attend these makeup events. There could have been as many as 200 + women there that day so there is no way to tell if the face is of a customer.

As for shutter speeds, I can't answer that. I didn't work there then. One of the employees took the pic with an every day run-of-the-mill digital camera.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13118
PostPosted: 22-02-2011 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a long shot I know, but do you even slightly recognise the mystery face?
Redhead666Offline
PostPosted: 22-02-2011 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:

No, sorry. Everyone who works there has seen this pic by now---no one knows who it could be.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 22-02-2011 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhead666 wrote:
gncxx wrote:

No, sorry. Everyone who works there has seen this pic by now---no one knows who it could be.

In that case she was probably a customer if she was anybody. But a customer from where?
JackDarkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 191
PostPosted: 22-02-2011 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werecow wrote:

For months I'd been assuming the blur was a strange artifact of the fellow at the back moving away quickly, especially as I took several pictures in sequence, and the next shows only the groom and trainer in frame. However, looking at it again (and looking at it full size, which I hadn't recently), I think those of you who think it's the jockey are probably right; he's wearing similar colours to the man behind, so the overlap/blur created this effect that confused my (and appparently not just my!) eye. However, as said, I have a whole sequence of pictures and the jockey's not in any of them, just the other three, hence why this perfectly reasonable explanation never occurred to me. He must have scampered out of frame pretty right quick, the little bugger. So it's not as relevant as I thought, but I'm glad that mystery has been cleared up at least. Smile

Maybe it's the time of night and I'm knackered, but my head is spinning with that 'explanation'.

Can you clarify: - when you took that photo did you think there were 3 people there, or 4?
linesmachineOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 912
PostPosted: 23-02-2011 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werecow wrote:
I think those of you who think it's the jockey are probably right; he's wearing similar colours to the man behind, so the overlap/blur created this effect that confused my (and appparently not just my!) eye. However, as said, I have a whole sequence of pictures and the jockey's not in any of them, just the other three, hence why this perfectly reasonable explanation never occurred to me. He must have scampered out of frame pretty right quick, the little bugger.

@jackdark: Werecows current thoughts are indicated above. We reckon it's a jockey (dismounting?) and then he doesn't feature in the next shots in the series becuase he's scarpered!
norton51Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 130
PostPosted: 23-02-2011 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on the original photo, given that it now seems it was a special makeup event: http://www.coolblades.co.uk/student-shop/training-heads/
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 7407
PostPosted: 23-02-2011 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they make one that looks kind of like a bad transvestite?
Redhead666Offline
PostPosted: 25-02-2011 01:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a picture of that same area where the original pic was taken. It was as close as I could get it to the angle in the original--I apologize for it not being exactly the same ( that is hard to do!).

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/RedheadGrrrrr/LW.jpg

PLease note that in the original pic under the floating head, there is a yellowish-greenish blur. That is a type of makeup product and since the first pic was taken, those products have moved to the right a bit so they will not appear in the same space.
Also note, there is no mirror or reflective surface in the area and there wasn't when the first pic was taken, either.

And, we do not use the "training heads" as previously mentioned (only live (or not live, ha ha ha) heads.
norton51Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 130
PostPosted: 25-02-2011 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot seems to have changed between the original photo and the comparison one. I guess that reflects stock being moved around and special things coming in for the demonstration.

Just a few additional thoughts on the original 'phantom head' photo. It is quite blurry, compared to the new photo, suggesting a longish exposure. Given the lack of flash and the indoor setting that isn't too surprising. The left and bottom edges of the phantom face are particularly blurry.

The picture appears to have been cropped. The resolution is low but that could just be the very high compression.

The size of the phantom head looks disproportionately small compared with the two women, given that anyone physically standing there could have been no more than centimetres behind.

None of these factors is incompatible with a long exposure shot accompanied by significant camera movement. Without getting hold of the original, complete with EXIF info, it's impossible to eliminate that as a possibility.
coalyOffline
Banned
Total posts: 807
PostPosted: 25-02-2011 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be just me, but it, (the original)... looks a rather lot like a botched Photoshop affair. Someone's used the clone tool to add people to the background, and given up. Maybe someone was messing about with it, and got distracted, or gave up, and the file was saved, and no one noticed. It does look an awful lot like an addition, digitally. But you did say, this wasn't possible,so it's a mystery, until more details arise. Confused
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 25-02-2011 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for going to the trouble Redhead, but as expected it doesn't clear up the mystery. Coaly is right that if there's nothing there in reality, it is likely to have been something affecting the picture as it was in the camera, but don't ask me what!
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9702
PostPosted: 25-02-2011 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

coaly wrote:
It may be just me, but it, (the original)... looks a rather lot like a botched Photoshop affair. Someone's used the clone tool to add people to the background, and given up. Maybe someone was messing about with it, and got distracted, or gave up, and the file was saved, and no one noticed. It does look an awful lot like an addition, digitally. But you did say, this wasn't possible,so it's a mystery, until more details arise. Confused

I thought 'Photoshop' too, as there are some really jagged edges, if you zoom right in on the photo. That's just the way it looks, not necessarily how it is.

Edit: I would say the original photo was probably a jpeg. It's probably been cropped and of course the faces cut out, and then probably saved as a jpeg again.
Each time you re-save a jpeg, it applies jpeg compression and you get more compression artifacts appearing. If you zoom right in on that pic, there are a lot of artifacts...
coalyOffline
Banned
Total posts: 807
PostPosted: 26-02-2011 02:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed in the new pic, the very large mirror to the left?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: