Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Dumb Cops
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogopogo3Offline
Just a CabbageHead
Total posts: 1377
PostPosted: 06-05-2002 23:30    Post subject: Dumb Cops Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,52051,00.html

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A convicted murderer serving an 18-year sentence at a state prison escaped Monday morning when correction officers, thinking he was another prisoner, drove him to a bus station here for release.

Officials at Turney Center Industrial Prison and Farm apparently mistook inmate Donald L. White for another inmate scheduled for release and loaded him into a van bound for Nashville, said state Correction Department spokesman Steve Hayes.

"He matched the description of the other inmate," Hayes said. "There is some indication [the switch] may have been planned."

Correction workers realized their mistake before the van's 10:30 a.m. arrival at the Greyhound bus depot in Nashville and had officers waiting.

"He saw law enforcement and ran," Hayes said.

White apparently heard emergency sirens as the van drove up to the depot, according to Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron.

Hayes said the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the Tennessee Highway Patrol and local law enforcement were searching for White.

The Greyhound station is located just blocks from downtown Nashville's tourist district — including the Gaylord Entertainment Center, home to the NHL's Nashville Predators, and the historic Ryman Auditorium.

The area was closed off by police and a command center set up nearby. A Nashville high school also was locked down.

White was described as black male, 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds. He has a large afro haircut and several tattoos, including one on his right forearm.

He was serving an 18-year sentence for a second-degree murder conviction.
Glensheen'sGirl~Offline
There's just one true me.
Total posts: 171
PostPosted: 07-05-2002 01:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article isn't clear about the ending... did the recover the escapee? Since the article doesn't describe how he was recaptured, I'm assuming he's still on the run...?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 07-05-2002 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from his description I imagine there can't be that many that looks like him. But maybe it was like in Life of Brian.

"Hi, are you the convict that is supposed to be set free?"
"Ehmm, yeah that would be me"
ogopogo3Offline
Just a CabbageHead
Total posts: 1377
PostPosted: 23-05-2002 01:25    Post subject: Policeman punches child (photos) Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_2002000/2002249.stm

Outcry as policeman punches child

Television pictures of a policeman punching a child in the face have shocked viewers in Russia.

The image was captured in Vladivostok, as police attempted to deal with a picket staged by fishermen and their families.

The footage shows a policeman involved in angry exchanges with one of the protesters, a young mother carrying her daughter in her arms.

As the argument continues, the policeman advances and lashes out with his fist, punching the child in the face.

The policeman was named in Russian media reports as Lieutenant Colonel Aleksandr Lysenko, the head of the city's traffic police.

Russian radio said he had been sacked, but other reports said he had been suspended while an investigation was carried out.

Officials are complaining that Russian television has presented a one-sided account of the encounter, claiming that earlier pictures of the woman attacking the officer with her handbag had not been shown.

Vladivostok district prosecutors are investigating whether the police used illegal methods or excessive force to disperse the blockade.

A delegation from the Russian Interior Ministry was also said to be flying to Vladivostok to investigate.

Around 200 people took part in the protest, claiming they were owed months of wage arrears.

The officer could face a prison sentence of between three and 10 years if convicted of assaulting the woman.

Prosecutors are also investigating the workers' claims over their non-paid wages.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 23-05-2002 02:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Officials are complaining that Russian television has presented a one-sided account of the encounter, claiming that earlier pictures of the woman attacking the officer with her handbag had not been shown.

And the relevance of that is?
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 844
PostPosted: 23-05-2002 08:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Wastrel's point was 'how was Madame Handbag's attack relvant to Policeman gobbing child', but maybe I misread it Smile

As to Fortean content... bit tangental, maybe, but I read it as one of those 'Nature of Truth' things...is the camera lying?

8¬)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 23-05-2002 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the woman was engaging a policeman in combat while carrying a child in her arms then I doubt her ability to be a good parent.

The policeman could have been aiming for her and she used the baby as a shield.

Then again perhaps the pig is just a common thug

I would have to see the footage to comment further.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 23-05-2002 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by harlequin:
Quote:
I thought Wastrel's point was 'how was Madame Handbag's attack relvant to Policeman gobbing child', but maybe I misread it

I think you are refering to another post, since deleted? I see a few on this thread have already been deleted.
DerekH16Offline
Puzzled by life
Total posts: 871
PostPosted: 04-06-2002 00:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, why is this story rather unsurprising?

(Hint - Group 4)

Secondly, have they caught him yet?
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19440
PostPosted: 17-10-2003 14:38    Post subject: Eat shit (and drink wee and wear a shoe on your head) Reply with quote

Quote:
Policemen force accused to drink urine in Jabalpur

HT Correspondent
Jabalpur, October 15

In an uncivilised act, the police in Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh allegedly forced an accused wanted in some cases to drink urine and put human and pig's excreta in his mouth to humiliate him.

The accused Rajesh Tiwari, a resident of village Ittoli in Mazgawan area, was also made to keep shoe on his head with a placard around his neck that read 'Apradh karna pap hai, police hamari bap hai'. He was then told to march down the village Ittoli.

The police wanted Rajesh in connection with an attempt to murder and other cases for last few months. The police got hold of him on October 13 and brought him to his native village Ittoli where he beaten up before being forced to drink urine, family members of Rajesh and some villagers claimed.

When contacted, Superintendent of Police Dr S W Naqvi said he has sent the additional Superintendent of Police (rural) Bhagwat Singh Chauhan to the village for an on the spot investigation.

He said initial investigation reveal that the police have not meted out inhumane treatment to the accused. However, he admitted that the police had brought Rajesh to the village Ittoli.

Dr Naqvi said Rajesh was wanted in connection with cases under Sections 307, 324 and 325 of IPC and was on the run.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_419048,0008.htm

Anyone know what the sign says?

Emps
Anonymous
PostPosted: 17-10-2003 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this was freakin weird, but the thing that really stood out to me was the fact that the word "police" has no translation in their language. A language always reflects a culture, so....

I'm sufficiently western in thought and cultural attitudes that a culture without rules or someone tasked with enforcing those rules is mildly shocking. Is it thought that people simply are good all the time? Or was it previously thought, since they now have a police force? How....optimistic.
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 11-02-2004 13:28    Post subject: Dumb Cops Reply with quote

I thought I'd started a thread for stupid police stories but clearly not:

Quote:
From The Morning Call -- February 10, 2004

Rush Twp. holds hearing on police shooting of dog
Supervisors ask if officer was justified in killing schnauzer.

By Sarah Fulton

A closed hearing on the actions of a Rush Township police officer who said he shot a 15 year-old pet schnauzer for ''humanitarian reasons'' was held Monday by township supervisors.

Testimony was taken late into the evening to help supervisors determine whether officer Scott Mickelesko acted wrongly when he shot Nancy Meiser's dog, Whiskers, after receiving a call on Jan. 10 from a motorist who said the animal had been hit on Fairview Road.

The unofficial results of an autopsy performed on the dog last week by the Schuylkill County pathologist revealed no trauma or fractures to the animal to support the claim that it was hit by a car, Meiser's attorney, Melissa Rudas, has said. Rudas was in court Monday and could not attend the hearing. She hopes to have an official copy of the autopsy report this week.

Township solicitor Paul Domalakes has said supervisors may or may not consider the results of the autopsy when weighing Mickelesko's actions.

Mickelesko, Meiser, county 911 supervisor Tara Schappell, township Supervisor William Sanchez Jr., who photographed the dead dog, and two of Meiser's neighbors who found the dog's body on the side of the road were asked to testify.

Mickelesko has said that, before he shot the injured dog, he tried to locate the owner by calling in the animal's license number to the county 911 center. Three times, Mickelesko incorrectly read the numbers to dispatchers.

Meiser has contended that even if the dog was fatally injured, she should have been contacted before the animal was shot.

Neither Meiser nor Mickelesko would comment on the hearing. Supervisors plan to vote on their findings at their meeting next Tuesday.

Mickelesko's attorney, David Washington of Harrisburg, declined to open the hearing to the public. Mickelesko has been suspended without pay while supervisors gather details.

Sarah Fulton is a freelance writer.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_1dogshot-rfeb10,0,7874774.story?coll=all-newslocal-hed

He should be able to tell if a dog has been injured or not and he got the numbers wrong 3 times!! If he is that dim I'm not sure it is a good idea letting him wander the streets.

Emps
filceeOffline
Beer Monkey
Total posts: 521
PostPosted: 11-02-2004 13:37    Post subject: Re: Dumb Cops Reply with quote

Emperor wrote:

...He should be able to tell if a dog has been injured or not and he got the numbers wrong 3 times!! If he is that dim I'm not sure it is a good idea letting him wander the streets.

Emps

Let alone wander the streets with a loaded firearm Eek Eek
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 13-03-2004 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sheriff accused of having handcuffs removed from boy with torch

Lincoln, Nebraska-AP -- A rural Nebraska sheriff is being sued for having a pair of handcuffs removed from a student, with a torch.
The student had been handcuffed by Sheriff Larry Donner -- who had been invited to speak at a Burwell High School.

The lawsuit claims the handcuff key broke and sheriff had a welding shop remove the cuffs with a torch.The lawsuit claims the torch caused third-degree burns to Seth Barrett's wrist, which later required surgery.An attorney for the boy's parents says the theme of the lawsuit is, 'What were you thinking?'It seeks damages from the sheriff, the school and its welding shop.

http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=1708912
sunsplash1Offline
Fortean and Proud
Total posts: 1322
Location: The Hills, overlooking a smallish antipodean city in South Australia
PostPosted: 14-03-2004 05:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

And these people have Guns?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: