Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Medical mysteries, bizarre cases
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1878
PostPosted: 27-10-2002 22:34    Post subject: Medical mysteries, bizarre cases Reply with quote

46 year old fetus removed from75 year old woman.

(originally found at story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=573&e=9&u=/nm/20021024/od_nm/birth_dc - link now dead, so hyperlink disabled. stu)

Now I want to know how they knew it was 46 years old? Did it have a wife and kids?
Spookyangel
Anonymous lurker
PostPosted: 28-10-2002 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that really sad. Sad
naitakaOffline
Realistic action figure
Total posts: 432
PostPosted: 27-11-2002 20:02    Post subject: Body too toxic to touch Reply with quote

Nasty business...why would any employer allow workers to handle stuff like this without protective gear?

Link

"Hamilton [Ontario] police, firefighters and a chemical decontamination team closed one lane of Wellington Street North outside Hamilton General Hospital's morgue yesterday to clean a body so toxic it was unsafe to do a post-mortem otherwise.

The 31-year-old Niagara Falls man died Friday after he was splashed with corrosive phenol formaldehyde as he and others were mixing chemicals at Mancuso Chemicals Ltd. in Niagara Falls.

The substance is so strong that it ate through the rubber gloves of three firefighters carrying the man to a waiting ambulance. They suffered chemical burns.

Greater Niagara General Hospital evacuated its emergency room shortly after the body arrived Friday. Fumes forced medical staff to borrow breathing masks from firefighters.

The man's body was sealed in four body bags and taken Saturday to the morgue at Hamilton General. It was impossible to perform an autopsy and an outdoor decontamination was ordered for yesterday morning..."

[Emp edit: Fixing beeg link.]
Anonymous
PostPosted: 27-11-2002 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenol and formaldehyde are both pretty nasty in large quantities - hell, phenol is nasty in small quantities.
Reading the report this looked like an accident waiting to happen- mixing the stuff by hand.

Will anybody end up in jail?
Will they bollocks!
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19440
PostPosted: 20-02-2004 16:30    Post subject: Medical mysteries, bizarre cases Reply with quote

Sounds interesting (it might have to go on my birthday present list):

Quote:
Medical mysteries, bizarre cases

New book chronicles rare and odd ailments of human body, mind

By Amy Cox

CNN
Friday, February 20, 2004 Posted: 1604 GMT (12:04 AM HKT)

(CNN) -- Jumping Frenchmen of Maine, Alice-in-Wonderland syndrome, wandering spleen.

They might sound like the names of the latest rock bands, but they're actually extremely rare and bizarre diseases and disorders that few people even know exist.

Author Nancy Butcher explores these and other odd ailments in "The Strange Case of the Walking Corpse," a new book chronicling some of the most strange and disturbing cases of what can go wrong with the human body and mind.

"I think like a lot of people, I've always been interested in really, really strange diseases." Butcher said. "I thought about becoming a doctor myself but decided it was too real and gruesome for me. But I've always been fascinated by weird symptoms and peculiar things people do to cure themselves or others."

Butcher said she had been collecting tales of strange medical mysteries for years, but the disorder the book is named after is what really spurred her to organize her research.

Dr. Jules Cotard is credited with first describing, in the late 1800s, the "walking corpse" psychiatric disorder. In this, deluded patients think they have lost body parts or their souls, and often believe they have died. Also called Cotard's syndrome, the mental disease has been found in people with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Another bizarre mental disorder Butcher describes is the Alice-in-Wonderland syndrome, in which a patient's sense of time, space and body image are distorted. People may appear tiny or patients may feel that part of their body shape or size has been altered.

Being extremely startled by an unexpected noise or sight is the main characteristic of the disorder with the peculiar name of Jumping Frenchmen of Maine.

It's not just bolting when someone sneaks up behind you, explains Butcher. Patients with the disorder flail their arms, cry out and repeat words. First identified in some of Maine's lumberjacks of French-Canadian origin, the odd reflex has been identified in other parts of the world, too.

Butcher said strange and gruesome elements have always fascinated people. Reading or watching TV shows on these topics can satisfy curiosity at a safe remove from the actual horrors of disease.

"I think a little big of smugness is involved. There's this feeling of 'These people have these horrible conditions and I don't,'" she said. "It's like watching a car wreck. It's gross and disgusting but it's not happening to you.

"And the extremes -- the really gross diseases, the really disgusting sores ... it's the same as the fascination with crazy freak shows on TV: they're grossly compelling."

Although the book is full of strange medical minutiae and odd cases, Butcher said she didn't want to trivialize the people who have these disorders.

"I never want anyone who has any of these diseases to look at this and think they're being made fun of," she said. "There is a certain freakish, fascinating, and even funny aspect to the diseases, but for the most part, they're not. They are just fascinating because they're so rare, they're so extreme and the symptoms are nothing like anybody's ever heard before."

But sometimes the rare and unusual make headlines. The deadly Ebola virus was a relatively unknown disease until an outbreak in parts of Africa in the 1990s. And the uncommon mad cow disease in humans -- formally known as variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease -- is practically a household word.

Advances in medicine and biotechnology are sure to keep bringing intriguing advances and strange conditions to the fore, Butcher said.

Teeth grown in a petri dish from stem cells may someday replace dentures and implants, Butcher writes. And scientists are studying natural limb regeneration for humans, trying to copy the salamander's ability. Even the blood moving through our bodies may one day be generated artificially.

"So I think the future looks as equally fascinating and disgusting as the past," she said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/02/20/strange.cases/

[edit: From Amazon:

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Butcher, whose previous books had the more wholesome topics of weight loss and sleeping (101 Ways to Stop Eating After Dinner; 101 Ways to Fall Asleep), here delves into the dark corners of medicine to unearth weird maladies and surprising cures. More a gathering of medical trivia than an actual chronicle, her book jumps from topic to topic, covering obscure ailments such as "cat-eye syndrome" (a rare chromosomal disorder) and "jumping Frenchmen of Maine" (an ill-understood neurological disorder), as well as more familiar diseases such as Black Plague, Hansen's disease (leprosy) and rabies. For each disease, Butcher offers a short synopsis of its discovery and attempted cures. In addition to uncommon ailments, the book outlines medicines that took a long time to be accepted by the medical establishment, or that remained on the fringes of acceptability. Some of these, such as urine or aged frog eggs, are best left to history. Others may have uses in the modern world: Butcher offers a table of herbs, for example, that alleviate various aches and pains. Subsequent chapters cover parasites, mental illnesses, sexual dysfunctions, sleep-related maladies and strange beauty treatments (some Victorian women owed their milk-pale complexions to a careful ration of arsenic). Butcher's anecdotes read like a collection of personal notes without an overarching theme, and are thus best for browsing; the book contains enough bizarre, disgusting and amusing medical minutiae to keep readers turning pages.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1583331603/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1583331603/ ]

Emps

Last edited by Mighty_Emperor on 20-02-2004 17:34; edited 1 time in total
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1878
PostPosted: 21-02-2004 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good book.

It worries me though that the same woman wrote some of the Mary Kate and Ashley books!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 22-02-2004 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nursed people with Cotard's, (La Delire de Negation), although not as a primary diagnosis, its alot less interesting when you actually meet someone with it and is more sad than anything else for the person.

A classic book is Uncommon Psychiatric Syndromes by Enoch and Ball.

Last edited by Guest on 22-02-2004 11:18; edited 1 time in total
VitriusOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 196
PostPosted: 22-02-2004 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:

I've nursed people with Cotard's, (La Delire de Negation), although not as a primary diagnosis, its alot less interesting when you actually meet someone with it and is more sad than anything else for the person.

A classic book is Uncommon Psychiatric Syndromes by Enoch and Ball.

What was the most common primary diagnosis? Schizophrenia is mentioned alot(perhaps especially when severe negative symptoms are present), but I can see it being more common in depressed phase bipolar or severe unipolar episodes. Maybe also dissociative crises or some type of epilepsy?

What treated it?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 22-02-2004 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a paranoid schizophrenia diagnosis or some severe psychotic depression is usual and it is characterised with a person displaying really severe nihilistic delusions. Treatment is similar to any form of severe psychotic depression. Anti-depressants and anti-psychotics combinations and ECT is also considered.

The outcome in the two I nursed was'nt good and it tends to effect older people, (if two people I've seen can be considered a trend, neither had the diagnosis of Cotard's but it was pretty clear thats what they had), The diagnosis of Cotard's is rarely if ever used as most people don't recognise it and its not part of the diagnostic criterias. There are a few of these rare syndromes that are attributed to schizophrenic-type illnesess.

Its very sad and its very difficult sometimes impossible to get people to work through it.

Not to be confused with Couvade syndrome where father's-to-be-take on the physical characteristics of pregnancy!

Like I say Enoch and Ball's book contain many accounts of rare mental health problems, treatments and prognosis and is an excellent read if you are interested in Mental Health.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 23-02-2004 00:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misdagnosis is bloody common as is people who having been in Mental Health services for years having half a dozen different diagnosis over their history because nobody really knows whats wrong with them.

Sometimes MH professionals just don't have a clue, (myself included in this). We often act, (or react), to what presents and make mistakes.

Mental Health is flawed and the constant push by drug companies to pathologicalise everything so they can come up with pills to combat it is increasing. (christ knows what will be considered an illness in the new DSM-V).

However I would'nt stay in the job if I did'nt think I was doing some good and we are improving in recognising that symptoms may have a phyiscal basis rather assuming its just delusional.

Also nothing wrong with being Eccentric I'd stick with that.
hedgewizard1Offline
Work in progress
Total posts: 744
PostPosted: 23-02-2004 03:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuManChu wrote:

My biggest problem, however is, the side effects of the medications they want to put me on, are worse than the symptoms of what I was born with.

Having been diagnosed with clinical depression, I can relate to your medication concerns. Still haven't filled the script for Xanax. So far I make due with therapy, and it works OK. There's something about highly addictive medications that scares the bejasus out of this old hippie.
IvanVolleOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 275
PostPosted: 18-12-2008 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original post deleted-Story has it's own thread.

Last edited by IvanVolle on 19-12-2008 03:31; edited 1 time in total
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5732
PostPosted: 18-12-2008 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You'd never know if he didn't have a scar there . . . when you take the shoe off his face it's obvious." nonplus
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26278
PostPosted: 18-07-2010 08:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woman with TWO wombs falls pregnant with babies who are not twins due a week apart
By Paul Thompson
Last updated at 12:59 AM on 17th July 2010

A woman is pregnant with two babies who were conceived almost a week apart.
Angie Cromar has been told she is expecting a boy and a girl.
But they are not twins because their 34-year-old mother has a rare medical condition which means she has two wombs.

The condition, known as uterus didelphys, affects only one in five million women.
But fewer than 100 women worldwide are known to have become pregnant after conceiving at different times.

Mrs Cromar, who has three children under eight, was aware that she had more than one uterus.
But she and her husband Joel were still shocked when her doctors told her about the double pregnancy.
'It was exciting,' said Mrs Cromar, who lives in the U.S..
'Joel didn't believe me for a little while, though,' she said.

The delivery and labour nurse said she was told at the first ultrasound that one baby was five weeks and a day old and the other six weeks and a day.

Mrs Cromar from Murray, Utah, later revealed on her Facebook page that she was expecting a boy and a girl.
She wrote: 'It''s a BOY!!!!!! and it's a GIRL!!!!!!!! Just found out that we are having both! I was looking forward to getting rid of some baby clothes, but I guess we still need them all!'
She added that the babies were due in the autumn.

She and her husband, 33, already have two boys, Alex, eight, and Luke, four, and a daughter of two, Sammy.

As a maternity ward nurse at the hospital where her babies will be delivered later this year she is aware of the dangers of a double pregnancy.

Doctors have warned that uterus didelphys presents a risk of premature labour and low birthweight.

'I'm a little nervous, just because I know what can happen, but I'm really excited,' she said.
'It's pretty rare. We are pretty thankful, pretty happy.'

Her doctor Steve Terry said he was surprised when the ultrasound revealed the double pregnancy.
He said research had revealed that there were fewer than 100 women worldwide who are reportedly in the same condition.
'She is in a small club,' he added.

Mrs Cromar is a nurse in the maternity unit at the Cottonwood hospital in Murray, near Salt Lake City. She has been told the babies, who are now at 20 weeks, are developing normally.

She said the condition had not caused any problems in her previous pregnancies.

However medical experts said the condition puts her in the high-risk category. The babies' development will be closely monitored and it is likely she will be offered the choice of a caesarean delivery.

According to U.S. medical records, in 1981 a woman with uterus didelphys became pregnant with triplets, two in her left uterus, one in the right.

The babies on the left were delivered on the same day, two hours apart while the baby on the right was delivered 72 days later.

Last year Julia Grovenburg, again from the U.S., conceived while she was already pregnant, an example of a rare condition in women with a single uterus called superfetation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1295292/Babies-set-born-mother-week-apart-conceived-different-times.html#ixzz0u1QfJwSD
Xanatic_Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 336
PostPosted: 18-07-2010 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in the tv-series Prey, one of the traits of the people who were meant to be the next step in human evolution was multiple wombs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: