Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Atlantis Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisquiltyOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 78
PostPosted: 26-11-2001 19:56    Post subject: Atlantis Thread Reply with quote

This article appeared on Earthfiles.com. It talks about structures found off of Cuba 2200 feet down. It also discusses theories on Atlantis' location.

http://www.earthfiles.com/earth303.htm
Anonymous
PostPosted: 26-11-2001 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Tenochtitlan built to resemble the Aztec's original home city in the East, with all it's concentric canals and whatnot?

Last edited by Guest on 26-11-2001 20:05; edited 1 time in total
whoisquiltyOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 78
PostPosted: 26-11-2001 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting. I hadn't heard that before. So, that would lend support to what Frank Joseph is saying in this interview.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 26-11-2001 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Plato's Atlantis was Santorini, personally, but what if maybe stories about an earlier civilisation got mixed up with stories about the Cycladic/Minoans? Like the way King Arthur got himself transported from the Dark Ages to the Middle Ages, or King Lear, for that matter. That's just my brain rattling 'cos it's not in gear...
rynner
PostPosted: 26-11-2001 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that human history is longer than currently accepted, and that relatively advanced civilizations did once exist. Many if not all of these may have been 'bombed back to the stone age' by natural catastrophes such as meteor impacts.

Science has begn to swing back towards catastrophism, after a long period when such views were deemed sensationalist. Improved knowledge of asteroids and comets has undoubtedly helped this re-evaluation, and the discovery of the world-wide iridium signature of the impact that probably destroyed the dinosaurs was one crucial factor, the other being the observation of the comet Shoemaker-Ley 9 impacting on Jupiter, less than a decade ago.

Suddenly the world seemed much less safe, and many people have been re-reading ancient histories and legends and finding possible confirmation of real and wide-spread catastrophes. One day, perhaps not too far in the future, a history that includes stories of ancient civilizations and major destructions may become the new orthodoxy.
intaglioreallyOffline
Well what am I now?
Total posts: 2641
PostPosted: 28-11-2001 01:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rynners right about Atlantis. What nobody seems willing to say is that Santorini may have been the centre of Minoan civilisation not just an outpost.

On the other hand there may well have been several drowned civilisations. The Black Sea culture (possibly the source of the Noah legend), Scillonia, possibly the Cuban site as well as Santorini.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-11-2001 09:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the first I have seen on Atlantis in a long time that makes me wonder if it could be real. Also I had never thought of an Atlantean empire before, stretching from Africa to Asia(America). The only thing that bothers me is the timing, right when Disney releases it's Atlantis movie.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-11-2001 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a little jaunt to Crete and Santorini this summer and had a look around Knossos, Akrotiri and all the rest. I think the
idea that Santorini was the capital of Cycladic/Minoan civilisation makes perfect sense. Santorini would naturaly become a crossroads of sorts, making it a far better choice than Crete.
If you like this sort of thing read 'Atlantis: The Truth Behind the Legend' by A.G. Galanopoulos and Edward Bacon. It's got pretty pictures and everything! Brings back all kind of fond, donkey-related memories...
(What's this...? I hear you cry...he's said something sensible, possibly)
intaglioreallyOffline
Well what am I now?
Total posts: 2641
PostPosted: 29-11-2001 05:07    Post subject: Brings back all kinds of fond, donkey related memories Reply with quote

Eek Eek Monster Psychout :p
Anonymous
PostPosted: 22-03-2002 23:30    Post subject: Atlantis Reply with quote

Did anyone see the tv prog that suggested the inspiration behind plato's description of Atlantis was a place called Heliki(sp?).
Great Earth power but was it the inspiration?
Personally thought it was fascinating but not convinced on the inspiration bit , would appreciate your views
brianellwoodOffline
MAD HATTER
Total posts: 823
PostPosted: 15-04-2002 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see the prog. but thought I would try & bring the thread back to life. read last year that a russian guy was going to search for atlantis a few hundred miles out from the scillies, and a few before him have suggested mid atlantic locations near the azores. Anyone know where the name atlantis originated? A recent nat geographic prog. suggested that an island off crete was the original atlantis, inhabited by the minoans and destroyed by a tsunami after the side of an erupting volcano fell into the sea.
Brythonic celtic countries all seem to have stories of lands sunk beneath the waves, we have lyonesse, the bretons the isle of ys and the welsh also have the same legend. In all of them one "knight" on horse back escapes the catastrophy. Is this a mythic record of the same event?
BreakfastologistOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 935
PostPosted: 17-04-2002 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some theories suggest that Lyonesse was some throwback to The area of land south of Cornwall during the last ice age when the sea level was low enough that it was land. I know there are also tree stumps visible out in Swansea Bay, where the sea level rose and took areas of land- things like this may also contribute to some legends like that of the Bottom Hundred at Aberdovey.

Atlantis has been identified all over the place, including Santorini off Crete, America, Cuba, Antarctica the turkish city of Tantalis and almost anywhere else you care to mention. Recent favourites have included an area on the Atlantic side of the Strait of Gibraltar which would have been dry land during the last ice age.

Last edited by Breakfastologist on 17-04-2002 12:07; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 17-04-2002 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Atlantis is as someone else said, we only have one source to it, and anyone who claims they found Atlantis always assume Plato was wrong about everything. So you get somebody with this great discovery of it, but it was just in another place than Plato had said, at another time, it was some different people, and something else happened to it. Then it could be some ancient civilisation existed at that place, but no reason to think it was Atlantis.
BreakfastologistOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 935
PostPosted: 19-04-2002 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what is interesting about the gibraltar area- not only is it exactly where Plato said Atlantis would be, but it was on dry land at the time Plato said it was. There is more on this here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1554000/1554594.stm

No evidence of it having been flooded cataclysmically, though.
brianellwoodOffline
MAD HATTER
Total posts: 823
PostPosted: 24-04-2002 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q:"I know there are also tree stumps visible out in Swansea Bay"

There are also tree stumps visible in Mount's bay, formerly visible on rare occ. in neap tide conditions but now after the removal of sewage outlets in the bay, the stumps I'm told are visible from the scillies helicopter on calm days. Also, legend has it that St.Michael's mount was a hill in a forest on which a monastery was built, and the tree stumps wuld support this as fact, but there is no record of a sudden inundation as far as I know. Surely the sea level increase from the end of the last ice age would be long before any monks or written records? However, Lyonnesse according to legend was definitely sunk violently beneath the waves. There are romantic stories of fishermen hearing church bells in the sunken towers ringing beneath the waves on stormy days off Land's End. Lovely but presumably Lyonnesse was sunk before christian days?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: