Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Atlantis Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTimeRadioOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 5532
PostPosted: 30-08-2008 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than Atlantis, as such, isn't this just more evidence of the millions of square miles of world-wide littoral which went (rapidly) under the sea at the end of the most recent Ice Ages, around 9500 BC?

Which is, of course, pretty much the date Plato gave for the "sinking" of Atlantis.
rynner
PostPosted: 31-08-2008 07:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7466369.stm
appears unrelated, unless swimmer Andrew Bree is planning on swimming down there! Wink

Another lost/mythical Irish island is Hy Brasil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hy_Brasil

"The names Brazil and Hy-Brazil are thought to come from the Irish Uí Breasail (meaning "descendants (i.e., clan) of Breasal"), one of the ancient clans of northeastern Ireland."
OldTimeRadioOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 5532
PostPosted: 31-08-2008 08:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wikipedia article makes it appear that there are few places in or around the Western Seas, north or south, that weren't identified as Brazil at one time or the other. <g>
BIg_SlimOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 05-09-2008 01:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many theorys about atlantis and many of them link to Ireland,
however i dont think they hold much sway because atlantis is described as being west of the pillars of hercules,Ireland is way up to the north of the strait of gibralter(pillars of hercules). If you look at google earth you can see the raised platforms of land under the sea,and yes there is around ireland wich links it to mainland UK but thats it ...nothing north of or south of it. Besides theres no raised land west of gibralter under the sea so it looks to me like its a total fairy tale Sad
Waylander28Offline
Booga Boo!!!
Total posts: 271
PostPosted: 05-09-2008 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIg_Slim wrote:
There are many theorys about atlantis and many of them link to Ireland,
however i dont think they hold much sway because atlantis is described as being west of the pillars of hercules,Ireland is way up to the north of the strait of gibralter(pillars of hercules). If you look at google earth you can see the raised platforms of land under the sea,and yes there is around ireland wich links it to mainland UK but thats it ...nothing north of or south of it. Besides theres no raised land west of gibralter under the sea so it looks to me like its a total fairy tale Sad

I just have to pipe in here, many Irish focklore tales tell of a land West of Ireland, Off our west coast. The land was said to contain all the beautiful and strong peoples, who remained forever youthful, the land was Tir Na Nog. Many characters came from there, and always seemed to land on the West coast of Ireland, one very famous character was Nuada of the Silver Arm. It is were I believe the Tuatha De Dannan came from, a slightly advanced people, who knew the arts of chemistry and medicine, and used their knowledge in battle.

If you look to the West of Ireland. (Heres a good Map sight (http://www.flashearth.com/), choose openlayers option, and look beyond the west coast of Ireland. There is a large interesting shelf foramtion, that seems to have a lower centeral area. If descriptions of Atlantis are to be followed there was some sort of inner sea area that acted like harbour. It's an interesting sight, and north of that shelf mass, there is a very promenant circular island shap just at the top. Coudl that have been Atlantis or the whole land mass. This could all be said to be West of the strait of gibralter.

Still if you go directly west of the strait of gibralter, you have the Azores! Maybe the Azores or long disappeared parts of it was Atlantis?!

Anything is possible, folklore has a funny way of ringing some truth behind it's tall tales.
BIg_SlimOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 13-09-2008 02:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for "pipeing in" lol
always good to hear another theory.
From what i know of tirnanog and Tuatha de Danann.
is that its not always there and visible only to very few humans.
If your lucky enough to ever see it go there and never look back. Laughing
ancient history describes it and as always i think there must be Somthing there
to start all theese tales. truth or not there must be a reason for the story.
Waylander28Offline
Booga Boo!!!
PostPosted: 15-09-2008 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIg_Slim wrote:
Thankyou for "pipeing in" lol
From what i know of tirnanog and Tuatha de Danann.
is that its not always there and visible only to very few humans.
If your lucky enough to ever see it go there and never look back. Laughing

Funny enough, there is mention of a ghost island that can be seen of the west coast of Ireland, in this last months Fortean times. It was an editors note in the letters pages, (only just got to them last night); so there must be something on the ether. Smile
BIg_SlimOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 26-09-2008 01:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waylander28 i have somthing to support your submergerd atlantis off ireland Smile.
Ossian’s Grave
Now, staying in Antrim but heading inland a little into Glenaan, the next site is one where you need to really stretch your imagination, and that’s Ossian’s Grave...

Who was Ossian and how did he die?

Well, he’s a figure of legend of course – the warrior/poet son of Finn McCoul - and the story goes that he was feeling tired and dispirited after losing in battle when his eye fell on the lovely Niamh.

She returned his love but there was a catch - they had to live beneath the sea in the land of Tir na n’Og. Time passed (some say a hundred years) and Ossian longed to return to the land once more.

This was allowed but on one condition. No part of his body must ever touch the ground because if that happened he would instantly age all those years. Well, you can guess what’s coming...

He went ashore on horseback, stopped to help an old man and his foot slipped in the stirrup, turning him into an old man himself. Some say he died at that point but there is another story that he actually lived long enough to meet St Patrick.

Now, if you want to be picky, you might point out that Ossian was supposed to be around in the 3rd century, and St Patrick lived mainly in the 5th, so meeting him might have been a bit of a problem...

You might also mention that his so-called grave is actually a very fine double horned cairn, dating back to about 2000 B.C. but, hey.. who wants to let facts get in the way of a great story?

eh eh? check that. Son of Finn McCoul the legendary irish giant AND they had to live beneath the sea in the land of Tir na n’Og. Thats the first time i seen Tir na n’Og being refered to as under the sea!!!!. Does it fit with what your saying?
staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
Total posts: 515
PostPosted: 29-09-2008 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's near Tory Island maybe it was part of the lands of the Fir Bolg....

Wink
TheCavynautOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 186
PostPosted: 30-09-2008 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

staticgirl wrote:
If it's near Tory Island maybe it was part of the lands of the Fir Bolg....

Wink

This threads got me digging out the Horslips albums! Wink
Waylander28Offline
Booga Boo!!!
PostPosted: 01-10-2008 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIg_Slim wrote:
Waylander28 i have somthing to support your submergerd atlantis off ireland Smile.
Ossian’s Grave
Now, staying in Antrim but heading inland a little into Glenaan, the next site is one where you need to really stretch your imagination, and that’s Ossian’s Grave...

Who was Ossian and how did he die?

Well, he’s a figure of legend of course – the warrior/poet son of Finn McCoul - and the story goes that he was feeling tired and dispirited after losing in battle when his eye fell on the lovely Niamh.

She returned his love but there was a catch - they had to live beneath the sea in the land of Tir na n’Og. Time passed (some say a hundred years) and Ossian longed to return to the land once more...

Okay BIg_slim, I'm afraid my book of Irish legends is out of my house at the moment, so I had to resort to the net for info, as I was not sure about the Niamh situation. As it turns out this is basic story indeed.

But back to Oisian (thats how we spell it) and the mysterious land,

Wikpedia wrote:

In Oisín in Tir na nÓg his most famous echtra, or adventure tale, he is visited by a fairy woman called Níamh Chinn Óir - Niamh of the Golden Hair or Head - one of the daughters of Manannán Mac Lir, a god of the sea - who announces she loves him and takes him away to Tir na nÓg ("the land of the young", also referred to as Tir Tairngire, "the land of promise"). Their union produces Oisín's famous son, Oscar, and a daughter, Plor na mBan - "Flower of Women". After what seems to him to be three years Oisín decides to return to Ireland, but 300 years have passed there. Niamh gives him her white horse, Embarr, and warns him not to dismount, because if his feet touch the ground those 300 years will catch up with him and he will become old and withered. Oisín returns home and finds the hill of Almu, Fionn's home, abandoned and in disrepair. Later, while trying to help some men lift a stone onto a wagon, his girth breaks and he falls to the ground, becoming an old man just as Niamh had predicted. The horse returns to Tir na nÓg.

In the tale Acallam na Senórach (Tales of the Elders), Oisín and his comrade Caílte mac Rónáin survived to the time of Saint Patrick and told the saint the stories of the fianna. This is the source of William Butler Yeats's poem The Wanderings of Oisin.

The grave site of Oisín is said to be located close to the foot of Glenann in the Glens of Antrim in Northern Ireland.

I'm convinced that there is something more to the land of Tir Na nOg, and that at one time there was a land just beyound the west of coast of Ireland, that atleast may have had some civil advancement above that of the island of Ireland itself.

Go on the Horslips!! Wink
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1540
PostPosted: 21-02-2009 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Atlantis found on Google Ocean?

Experts say a "grid of streets" spotted on Google Ocean could be the lost city of Atlantis.

The network of criss-cross lines is 620 miles off the coast of north west Africa near the Canary Islands on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean.

The perfect rectangle, around the size of Wales, was noticed on the search giant's underwater exploration tool by an aeronautical engineer who claims it looks like an "aerial map" of a city.

Atlantis experts said that the unexplained grid is located at one of the possible sites of the legendary island, reports The Sun.

Greek philosopher Plato described how the city sank beneath the ocean after its residents made a failed effort to conquer Athens around 9000 BC.

Dr Charles Orser, curator of historical archaeology at New York State University said the find was fascinating and warranted further inspection.

"The site is one of the most prominent places for the proposed location of Atlantis, as described by Plato. Even if it turns out to be geographical, it definitely deserves a closer look," he said.

Bernie Bamford, 38, of Chester who spotted the "city", compared it to Milton Keynes, the new town built on a grid design. "It must be man made," he said.

Google Ocean, an extension of Google Earth, allows web users to virtually explore the ocean with thousands of images of underwater landscapes.

Launched earlier this month, it lets users swim around underwater volcanoes, watch videos about exotic marine life, read about nearby shipwrecks, contribute photos and watch unseen footage of historic ocean expeditions.

SOURCE: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3207310.html?menu=news.quirkies

rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26262
PostPosted: 21-02-2009 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google dismisses 'Atlantis find'

The Lost City of Atlantis is still lost - despite hopes that Google Earth had located the fabled city on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean.

Observers noted what seemed to be a grid of streets and the outlines of a big city on the sea floor about 960km (600 miles) off the African coast.

Experts had said this was one of the possible sites of the city described by Plato, the Greek philosopher.

But Google said the lines represented sonar data collected from boats.

"It's true that many amazing discoveries have been made in Google Earth including a pristine forest in Mozambique that is home to previously unknown species and the remains of an Ancient Roman villa," a Google statement said.

"In this case, however, what users are seeing is an artefact of the data collection process. Bathymetric ( or sea floor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea floor," she added.

"The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data. The fact there are blank spots between each of these lines is a sign of how little we really know about the world's oceans."

The story of Atlantis, a fabled utopia destroyed in ancient times, has captured the imagination of scholars ever since it was first described by the philosopher Plato more than 2,000 years ago.

He wrote of a land of fabulous wealth, advanced civilisation and natural beauty. Debate rages over where it might lie, if it existed at all: some say it is near Cuba, off the coast of Cornwall, near Gibraltar or in the middle of the Atlantic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7903169.stm?lss

Google's statement makes very little sense, actually. Why doesn't all deep sea surveying display such regular artefacts? If we can't trust that particular area, how can we trust any of their undersea topography?

But we can also discount this as Plato's Atlantis, which was described as set out in a series of circular man-made canals or waterways - definitely not a grid-like layout of streets.

More to come, perhaps...
river_styxOffline
Chaos Magnet.
Total posts: 1841
PostPosted: 22-02-2009 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth remembering that Google put quite a few Easter Eggs into Google Earth and it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with Google Sea or whatever it's called.
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1540
PostPosted: 23-02-2009 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple follow-up stories circulating today in which Google claims the lines are actually gaps in the sonar data used to generate the maps. In other words - they're not features of the ocean floor but artifacts of the scanning process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: