Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Atlantis Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProfessorFOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 336
PostPosted: 23-02-2009 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, that's what they want you to think.
It's all reptilian shape-shifting overlords innit?
tilly50Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 324
PostPosted: 24-02-2009 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any more of these anomolies anywhere else on Google Ocean?
rjmrjmrjmOffline
Professional Surrealist
Total posts: 1484
PostPosted: 25-02-2009 00:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge green thing floating just above where London is...

Oh wait... it's the North! Very Happy
KarlDOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 348
PostPosted: 06-06-2009 22:00    Post subject: Alternative theory, slightly controversial. Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think Plato's Atlantis was Santorini, personally, but what if maybe stories about an earlier civilisation got mixed up with stories about the Cycladic/Minoans? Like the way King Arthur got himself transported from the Dark Ages to the Middle Ages, or King Lear, for that matter. That's just my brain rattling 'cos it's not in gear...

I have this theory that Plato was a bit of a loon, prone to making things up and getting things wrong. I know its a contriversial theory but how about.....
There is no such place as Atlantis and there never has been

Gasp Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked omg omg
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18409
PostPosted: 06-06-2009 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmrjmrjm wrote:
There's a huge green thing floating just above where London is...

Oh wait... it's the North! Very Happy

Oi! I'll take me bloody belt ter yer!
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 06-06-2009 22:10    Post subject: Re: Alternative theory, slightly controversial. Reply with quote

KarlD wrote:

I have this theory that Plato was a bit of a loon, prone to making things up and getting things wrong. I know its a contriversial theory but how about.....

Except, of course, the extraordinary, highly advanced, Bronze Age, civilisation of the Minoans really did exist, with Aktorini on the volcanic island of Santorini at its hub, until the island exploded and a lot of it disappeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

Wink
KarlDOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 07-06-2009 00:01    Post subject: Re: Alternative theory, slightly controversial. Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
KarlD wrote:

Except, of course, the extraordinary, highly advanced, Bronze Age, civilisation of the Minoans really did exist, with Aktorini on the volcanic island of Santorini at its hub, until the island exploded and a lot of it disappeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

Wink

Oh i am sure there were lots of ancient civilisations around which could be the basic for the myth of Atlantis but I don't see any evidence for any super advanced civilisations who where decended from extra terestrials or whatever the lastest chariots of the Gods type guff is doing the rounds at the moment.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 07-06-2009 00:22    Post subject: Re: Alternative theory, slightly controversial. Reply with quote

KarlD wrote:

Oh i am sure there were lots of ancient civilisations around which could be the basic for the myth of Atlantis but I don't see any evidence for any super advanced civilisations who where decended from extra terestrials or whatever the lastest chariots of the Gods type guff is doing the rounds at the moment.

Ah! But, the Bronze Age Minoans of Santorini did have indoor plumbing. Possibly even hot and cold running water. Impressive enough, even if you were an ancient Egyptian.

Smile
KarlDOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 16:29    Post subject: Thats true.. Reply with quote

Ive been to Santorini me, they didn't have hot running water when I was there Sad and someone had nicked half the island Shocked

What I find fascinating is people who constantly try to endow ancient civilisations with advanced technology. I mean why do you want ancient people to have electicity or Corby trouser presses? I was reading some crap about Egyptians using pyramids to store static charges to make their crops more fertile and I was thinking why cannot these people simply accept that they were pretty primative people who were a bit obsesed with death and spent a lot of effort in building tombs for their rulers?
Blinko_GlickOffline
slightly warm
Total posts: 312
Location: Sitting on the porch of insanity with a nice Pimms don't you know?
PostPosted: 10-06-2009 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't get the notion that the Antartica landmass is Atlantis out of my head.

Turn the globe on it's side and you have an island continent in a huge ocean.

Add to this the ancient maps showing the landmass free of ice, the theory of crustal displacement and the associated havoc it would cause (floods, freeze, volcanic nastiness), and you have yourself an elegant answer to the greatest mystery ever!!
ProfessorFOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 336
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the first person to meander down that particular avenue of thought.
See Graham Hancocke for more...
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24077
PostPosted: 18-12-2009 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost city of Atlantis discovered? Grainy images show city-like formations at the bottom of the Caribbean
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 5:24 PM on 17th December 2009

A group of 'undersea archaeologists' have become the latest to claim they have uncovered the lost city of Atlantis.
The scientists - who have refused to identify themselves - have released a series of images taken beneath the Caribbean.
They insist the snaps show what appear to be the ruins of a city that could pre-date Egypt's pyramids, which appeared after 2600BC.

They even told a French newspaper that one of the structures appears to be a pyramid.
Now the anonymous group wants to raise funds to explore the secret location where the images were taken.
They would not reveal the exact location, however, saying only that it was somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.
The claims have raised eyebrows on the internet, though sceptics refrained from debunking them entirely - just in case.

The legend of Atlantis, a city of astonishing wealth, knowledge and power that sank beneath the ocean waves, has fascinated millions.
Time and time again hopes have been raised that the lost city has been found - only for those hopes to be dashed against the evidence (or lack thereof).
Its location - or at least the source of the legend - remained a tantalising mystery.
In 1997, Russian scientists claimed to have found Atlantis 100 miles off Land's End.

In 2000 a ruined town was found under 300ft of water off the north coast of Turkey in the Black Sea.

The area is thought to have been swamped by a great flood around 5000BC, possibly the floods referred to in the Old Testament.

In 2004 an American architect used sonar to reveal man-made walls a mile deep in the Mediterranean between Cyprus and Syria.

In 2007 Swedish researchers claimed the city lay on the Dogger Bank in the North Sea, which was submerged in the Bronze Age.

And as recently as February of this year, what appeared to be grid-like lines that resembled city streets were spotted on Google Earth - in the ocean off the coast of Africa.
Sadly Google itself quickly debunked the suggestion, explaining that the lines were left by a boat as it collected data for the application.
'Bathymetric (sea-floor) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea-floor,' a spokesman said.

'The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1236651/Is-lost-city-Atlantis-Grainy-images-released-showing-city-like-structures-beneath-Caribbean-Sea.html#ixzz0a28FwwTr
EnolaGaiaOnline
Total posts: 1549
PostPosted: 18-12-2009 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be the earliest _Herald de Paris_ posting on this story:

http://www.heralddeparis.com/previously-undiscovered-ancient-city-found-on-caribbean-sea-floor/65855

This indicates the images are satellite photos that have admittedly been 'enhanced' or 'filtered'.

With all the coy anonymity and lack of details, I can't help but smell 'fakery' ...
PeniGOffline
Proud children's writer
Total posts: 2973
PostPosted: 18-12-2009 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If legitimate scientists thought they had found structures under the Carribbean, they:
a) would refer to "possible structures in the waters of the Carribbean;" references to Atlantis would be jokey, and discussion would focus on known Central American civilizations, timing of sea level rise, and other contexts for the surprising nature of such a find;
b) would do so openly under their own names and institutional banners so that they could
c) solicit hard for funds to investigate this marvelous, revolutionary, promising, orgasmicly exciting find.

The last major sea-level rise in that area happened at the end of the Ice Age, long before any known civilizations in the Old or New Worlds. No structures from that time have survived, though we have a few intriguing remnants of structures, such as the stone floor at the Clovis level in Gault. Any land area sunk since that time would be the result of a hitherto-unsuspected disaster, such as a volcanic eruption. Either way, major cool points accrue.

Underwater archeology is EXPENSIVE, as digging - the easy part, farmed out to grad students and avocational volunteers - becomes complex and requires a special skill set to undertake. Competition for funds is fierce, especially in the present climate when everyone is cutting back. So the announcement wouldn't be made on the basis of Google maps, but after an exploratory dive, and would include pictures and an artifact or two, and it would go straight for the grant money, listing all the good solid reasons why this project should get funded and not all those other projects.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24077
PostPosted: 31-05-2010 08:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the real Atlantis finally been found... under a modern holiday paradise?
By Bettany Hughes

[Long article equating the destruction of Atlantis with the volcanic catclysm that destroyed Thera (modern-day Santorini). The first serious book I read on Atlantis, in the 1960s, suggested this same scenario, so it's not exactly new! But new geological and archaeological evidence has since grown even more compelling.]

Atlantis: the Evidence is shown on BBC 2, 9pm, 2 June.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282779/Has-real-Atlantis-finally--modern-holiday-paradise.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: