Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Swallowed up by the ground... Sinkholes!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon.
PostPosted: 29-11-2001 13:09    Post subject: Swallowed up by the ground... Sinkholes! Reply with quote

Reading the thread on humans buried in concrete reminded me of a story I heard when I was a kid. I lived on a crossroads and I was told by several people that in the early years of the 20th century a house and cart had just turned one of the corners when the ground just opened up beneath them and driver, horse, cart and all were swallowed up never to be seen again. Now, I don't believe any aspect of this story but are there any other stories of people/vechicles being swallowed by the earth, is it a common UL????????

Coincidentally, I lived a mere stones throw from the cemetry where a PC Gutteridge is buried whose killers goughed his eye out in case their image was 'photographed' on them ( a UL now hopefully long dead!!!).....this murder case is famous for something, first time fingerprints used or something like that but I can't remember what...............
rossba1Offline
Wicker Man
Total posts: 227
PostPosted: 29-11-2001 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old bridge near where i live in the Highlands- cant remember what it is called but it was recently "probed" and they found the outline of a horse and cart in the concrete. Dont know what technique they used- presumably some kind of sonic method. It was quite well publicised. In the Inverness Courier and th Aberdeen Press&Journal
IoetheOffline
Many angled one
Total posts: 107
PostPosted: 29-11-2001 16:28    Post subject: Re: Swallowed up by the ground...... Reply with quote

Blueswidow wrote:

.....this murder case is famous for something, first time fingerprints used or something like that but I can't remember what...............

I think it's first successful use of the marks on a cartridge case to trace the murder weapon; see

http://www.microwaredata.co.uk/murder-uk/bookhtml_b/browne_fg00.html
Anonymous
PostPosted: 29-11-2001 16:45    Post subject: Re: Swallowed up by the ground...... Reply with quote

Blueswidow wrote:

Coincidentally, I lived a mere stones throw from the cemetry where a PC Gutteridge is buried whose killers goughed his eye out in case their image was 'photographed' on them ( a UL now hopefully long dead

- but it figured in 'wild wild west' possibly the worst film ever made!
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 2322
PostPosted: 29-11-2001 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also photographed the eyes of one of the Ripper victims in case her murderer's image was imprinted on them.

Carole
rynner
PostPosted: 29-11-2001 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go against the grain here (for me) and drag this thread back on topic!

It is not uncommon for the ground to open up and swallow people. It happens due to subsidence over old mines, or even to the collapse of inadequately 'capped' mineshafts. I would say it happens at least once a year here in Cornwall, and there are similar tales from other old mining districts.

Admittedly most of these subsidences do not result in fatalities, but there have been any number of close calls. One women was hnging out her washing when her garden collapsed beneath her, and in Camborne, back in the 19th century, a parade ground disappeared into the depths only a short while after the local Volunteer regiment had been marching on it!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 30-11-2001 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

barndad wrote:

An old bridge near where i live in the Highlands- cant remember what it is called but it was recently "probed" and they found the outline of a horse and cart in the concrete. Dont know what technique they used- presumably some kind of sonic method. It was quite well publicised. In the Inverness Courier and th Aberdeen Press&Journal

Do you have a link to any of the stories about this?

sureshot
Anonymous
PostPosted: 30-11-2001 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember this story too. A horse and cart fell down a deep (tall?) hollow pillar whilst the bridge was being constructed. It was too deep to rescue the horse (and it probably didn't survive the fall) so they filled it in.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13648
PostPosted: 02-12-2001 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge hole opened up in a street in Crewe, Cheshire a week or 2 back when a car fell through the tarmac! A nearby stream had somehow saturated the ground and washed everything away beneath the road. The girl whose car sank wasn't hurt, but wasn't a happy bunny either!
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 02-12-2001 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

See FT 147 page 22 for a photograph of the 40 ft deep hole that appeared recently in a garden at Thorpe St Andrew, near Norwich. I've got a feeling that a similar incident to the one escargot mentions happened in Stoke a few years back.

Also, can anyone else recall a black and white photograph of a double-decker bus sticking out of a huge hole in the road?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 02-12-2001 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thefrasers.com/nessie/news/nesspapr052601.html

The second article down on the left is about the only thing I have been able to find on this rather gruesome story.
One of those stories that I always seem to remember and 2am and have trouble sleeping...
rossba1Offline
Wicker Man
Total posts: 227
PostPosted: 02-12-2001 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sureshot, gabbarabbit seems to have found it. I tried searching the inverness courier http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/ but it doesnt go back far enough. As my local paper its full of interesting stuff. Quite often fortean "Nessie" things and other stuff.
As to photographing dead people's eyes- Do you think David Lynch had heard of this when he wrote Twin Peaks? I mean about the scene where Cooper watches the video of Laura and sees the reflection of Jamies bike in her eyes (those who watched on Sat. might have it fresh i their heads).
There may be some kind of deep subconscious thing that makes the eyes of dead people particularly facsnating/creepy/repellent.
intaglioreallyOffline
Well what am I now?
Total posts: 1596
PostPosted: 03-12-2001 00:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spook wrote:

See FT 147 page 22 for a photograph of the 40 ft deep hole that appeared recently in a garden at Thorpe St Andrew, near Norwich. I've got a feeling that a similar incident to the one escargot mentions happened in Stoke a few years back.

Also, can anyone else recall a black and white photograph of a double-decker bus sticking out of a huge hole in the road?

There are 2 possible I know of that show that. One is the famous one taken in the Blitz and one concerns a north English city (Bradford? Blackburn?) where they measured holes in DDBs (Double Decker Bus'). Norwich too has a bad reputation for sudden cavities.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-12-2001 00:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the story of the disappearance, in full view, of one David Lang in 1880:

http://www.spartechsoftware.com/dimensions/vanished/DavidLang.htm#David%20Lang%20Disappearance

Folklorists out there will be familiar with the story of Revd & Professor Robert Kirk of Aberfoyle, author of The Secret Commonwealth of Elves and Fairies (c.1791), who vanished - appropriately - at a now-famous fairy mound - the first 'abductee'?
intaglioreallyOffline
Well what am I now?
Total posts: 1596
PostPosted: 04-12-2001 04:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermes wrote:

.... Folklorists out there will be familiar with the story of Revd & Professor Robert Kirk of Aberfoyle, author of The Secret Commonwealth of Elves and Fairies (c.1791), who vanished - appropriately - at a now-famous fairy mound - the first 'abductee'?

Surely Thomas the Rhymer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: