Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 21-11-2013 14:53    Post subject: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me... Reply with quote

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Nowadays, if kids are too spirited, they are sometimes diagnosed with something like ADD and perhaps even put on Ritalin®. In the USA few years back, other methods of spiritedness reduction were sometimes practiced.

Quote:
My Lobotomy: The Story Behind One Man's Life Altering Surgery

Huffington Post. 19.November.2013

At the age of 12, Howard Dully was one of the youngest patients to undergo a transorbital lobotomy, a neurosurgery prescribed to treat psychiatric conditions. Howard joins HuffPost Live and shares his story.

Watch Full Segment (11/19/2013)

'He took the ice picks and put them in my eyes...'

Admittedly, the good doctor (Walter Freeman), did give the boy an extra jolt of ECT, leaving him unconscious, before performing the deed. Shocked

See also: http://www.npr.org/2005/11/16/5014080/my-lobotomy-howard-dullys-journey
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14768
PostPosted: 21-11-2013 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hollywood movie star Frances Farmer was probably the highest profile person reported to receive a lobotomy. Except apparently she didn't have one at all, but the rumours persist.
ramonmercadoOnline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20662
PostPosted: 21-11-2013 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
The Hollywood movie star Frances Farmer was probably the highest profile person reported to receive a lobotomy. Except apparently she didn't have one at all, but the rumours persist.

I found the film Frances, powerful but depressing. I couldn't watch it again because of the lobotomy scene.

Its not true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances

A complicated and contradictory story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Farmer
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14768
PostPosted: 21-11-2013 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly true she went through hell and was committed to an asylum, but the lobotomy bit seems to be sensationalism, and who needs that for such a sad story? Not Frances.
ZoffreOffline
Total posts: 719
PostPosted: 22-11-2013 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose Marie (or Rosemary) Kennedy (sister of JFK et al) was forced to undergo a pre-frontal lobotomy at the age of 23, due to her mental illness making her too "assertive" and prone to mood swings. It was carried out apparently on the wishes of her father, Joseph Patrick Kennedy, and without the knowledge of her mother, and left her unable to look after herself properly, after which time she was confined to a private psychiatric hospital until she died aged 86. Her father refused to visit her for the rest of his life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: