Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Bleeding 20-Year-Old Scar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnconiteOffline
Ninja-Pirate for hire.
Total posts: 76
PostPosted: 13-07-2005 13:02    Post subject: Bleeding 20-Year-Old Scar Reply with quote

My husband has a large scar on his shin that he recieved when he was about 6 or 7 years old. It is approx 3 inches long and at it's thickest about a centimeter. I think he got it from a garden shear accident or a bike fall or something. It has been completely healed and scarred over for the past 20 years, but in the past 2 weeks or so it's started to scab over and bleed. Just on the scar's location, not anywhere around it. We can't figure out why.

The only changes in our daily routine and life lately are as follows: He has changed his diet drastically, going from about 6 to 10 cans of Dr Pepper a day to 1, and drinking a ton of water. He is also not eating fast food as often either and has become more serious in training with his Kung Fu. (N.Shaolin/N.praying mantis style) He doesnt think he's scratching in his sleep and knows he isn't doing it during the day since it is covered by clothing and he works with his hands building and repairing computers. Plus, why suddenly subconciously scratch a scar on your shin?

It is such an old scar it's not likely he got it busted open when he was practicing. There are no bruises surrounding it and it is not swollen. Just thick flat shiny scabs that sometimes bleed. (ew gross) He said it hurts a little.

Why is this happening? Any ideas?
OFIN73Offline
Grey
Total posts: 24
PostPosted: 13-07-2005 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to alarm you, but I'd urge you to get your husband screened for some kind of skin cancer. Skin anomalies should always be taken seriously.
dilligaf710Offline
Grey
Total posts: 19
PostPosted: 13-07-2005 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine has a scar on his leg from when he was a little kid that started to irritate him a few years back...the problem: tiny bits of glass under the skin. over the years(about 15..), the glass seems to have slowly moved through the tissue to the surface..he would scratch in his sleep and make it worse. went to a doctor who removed every bit he could find, stitched it up and i don't believe he's had a problem since.

whether he's experiencing something similar to my friend or something more serious, the best thing to do is see a doctor.
AnconiteOffline
Ninja-Pirate for hire.
Total posts: 76
PostPosted: 13-07-2005 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was given a clean bill of health not too long ago. There are none of the usual signs of skin cancer in the area of the scar or on other parts of his body, either. He had an allergic reaction to a detergent i was using, but this occured 2 weeks after i switched to a hypoallgergenic brand. I'll try to get him to the doctor but that's a difficult thing to do.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-07-2005 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anconite wrote:
he was given a clean bill of health not too long ago. There are none of the usual signs of skin cancer in the area of the scar or on other parts of his body, either. He had an allergic reaction to a detergent i was using, but this occured 2 weeks after i switched to a hypoallgergenic brand. I'll try to get him to the doctor but that's a difficult thing to do.

Wow! 10 cans of Dr. Pepper a day! Glad to hear he's cut back on the soda consumption.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: