Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ouija Boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 15-08-2001 15:24    Post subject: Ouija Boards Reply with quote

Tom Blazak

When I was 14 years of age, me and some of my friends had a sleepover and as you do at that age we decided it would be a fun idea to play with a ouija board. We played with it for an hour maybe two before getting bored...

original link containing rest of story is now inactive - sorry... stu
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-08-2001 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't FT used to have an advert in the classified ads in a section called 'Toys & Games' for Ouija Boards or am I mixing it up with another magazine?

Either way it's pretty scary that someone is/was marketing these as children's toys.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-08-2001 17:59    Post subject: Mere Toys? Reply with quote

In fact, the Ouija board was invented as a parlor toy in the early 20th century, though less formal methods of spirit communication involving pointers and letters date back a bit further. To my knowledge, no product liability suit ("spiritually unsafe as designed") has ever been brought against Parker Brothers.

For more information, see: http://www.museumoftalkingboards.com/
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6110
PostPosted: 20-08-2001 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouija Boards were indeed marketed as a toy as recently as the
nineteen seventies. I remember a friend had one and they were
on display in Boots and other Toy Departments. In the UK, they
were made by Waddingtons, the biggest games company of the
day.

This version used arcs of letters and came with a circular plastic
indicator on felt feet

In the face of opposition from the clergy and tabloid tales of them
precipitating mental crises among teenagers, they retreated to
the occult shops.

As is pointed out above, the ouija board was just a convenient
variation on spirit writing methods. The older methods involved
recitations of the alphabet at which the spirits would rap to choose
a letter. The planchette was slightly different: a heart-shaped piece
of wood on little castors with a pencil stuck in it. This would write
words or sentences in answer to questions. There were various
patent variations on the Ouija method, all derived from the glass
and letter-cards method.

Like dowsing or using pendulums the indicator can seem to have a
life of its own and the tendency is to regard the messages as a way
of tapping the subconscious minds of the participants.

In the nineteenth century, there was an industry of spirit writings.
Victor Hugo and his family, exiled in Jersey, were great enthusiasts,
messages told of how Hugo's works were received in Heaven and
read by the angels! roll eyes (sarcastic)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-08-2001 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have this one on oath from our kid...

About five years ago, my sister went to stay with a friend in Stockport. The friend had just bought an old planchette style board from a junk shop in the old Corn Exchange (pre bomb, obviously). They used this, producing the usual babble, then proceded to get drunk and go to kip.

Sis was woken up at around 3AM by a terrified friend. She couldn't work out what was up until - now, she swears this is true - she heard a noise dowstairs. Bear in mind, they were the only two people in the house...

The noise of the board. Moving. By. Itself.

The rest of the night was spent sitting up with a chair against the door. They took the thing back to the Corn Exchange next day.

The stall holder wasn't surprised; he said something to the effect that this was about the third time it had come back. He also said that he'd heard it move sometimes in the shop.

Hey, I know it all sounds fairly unlikely. But you should see the look on my sister's face if anyone ever suggests doing an Ouija board, even to this day...
lucydruOffline
Been, left, might be back again.
Total posts: 494
PostPosted: 20-08-2001 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why you will never catch me using one, you never know what might happen. And if I had to be in a place with friends who used one then you would get me wearing silver jewellry and sprinkling salt round everyone in a circle.

lucydru
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-08-2001 21:18    Post subject: Hey Kids! Contact the Spirit World in your own home! Reply with quote

Not only were Ouija boards marketed in the 70's and before, but they're now really sought after collectors items. I suspect you'd be able to get £100 for one in good condition!

I have to say I've seen pretty impressive results from Ouija boards in terms of stirring up 'something'. They were very popular in my teenage/student days. Strange effects on audio cassettes, apparently verifiable information etc.

However, only damage I can ever recall being caused by an OUija board was on the university campus. Knowing that some of their friends were going to have an Ouija session, a group of pranksters started tapping on the room windows, and then shut off the power. One student's leg was broken as the seance broke up in panic.

So Kids - Ouija? Just say No! (Thats one rap)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-08-2001 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucydru why would you wear silver i know to a few of you guy's this may be a bit of a stupid question but i dont quite understand
casio
lucydruOffline
Been, left, might be back again.
Total posts: 494
PostPosted: 21-08-2001 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver is used to protect the wearer from evil.

lucydru
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-08-2001 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucydru wrote:

I've not heard of that one. I always thought it was iron that was protective.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-08-2001 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a suit of armour might do the trick. I think in folklore it's different metals for different things, isn't it, although I could be wrong?

Could end up looking like Mr. T if you're not careful.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-08-2001 18:41    Post subject: Sorry - off topic but couldn't resist! Reply with quote

Quote:

I've lived in plenty of places where it would have quite the opposite effect, especially late at night!
Snook25Offline
The A-Team
Total posts: 86
PostPosted: 21-08-2001 18:56    Post subject: Ponder Reply with quote

Why is it the Oija boards always seem to attract the "bad" things?? You only ever seem to hear things of popele being freaked out by horrible stuff happening. Mad
NilesCalderOffline
Reptilian Overlord
Total posts: 2506
PostPosted: 21-08-2001 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old axiom of being careful of what you call up ("...'less you can't put it down") is especially true here.

What you call up tends to be what you're expecting and years, in the minds of joe public, of expecting Ouija boards to call forth demons and other evil spirits have biased the boards to bring us the very worst that our subconcious can produce.

And to top it all there are some *really* nasty ultraterrestials/cthuloids out there to mess up your whole day. Very Happy
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-08-2001 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points; also, anything that is bored enough to hang round rooms of drunken students is bound to start behaving badly after a while.

A few times, people I know claim to have contacted benevolent, if miserable spirits. Perhaps it's just a case of the ones that shout loudest getting the attention.

Nice screen name, by the way Niles. I thought that was just me that remembered Doom Patrol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: