Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Alternative Therapies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 12:27    Post subject: Alternative Therapies Reply with quote

A long article by a columnist who has tried most of them - and believes in them...
Quote:
Just look at Cherie Blair and the extraordinary fuss over the alternative therapies in which she has indulged. How everybody sniggered when they heard she'd s hared showers with lifestyle guru Carole Caplin, who'd 'scrubbed out' her toxins, or that she'd visited 'homeopathic dowser-healer' Jack Temple. It seems the public mindset regards anything 'new age' with the deepest suspicion.

How, ask the commentators, can a busy working mother of four with an excellent brain dabble in this kind of lunacy? The answer is simple: it helps. I pursue so many 'alternative' therapies I've lost count. And half the working women I know visit a range of practitioners: reflexologists, masseurs, yoga teachers, homeopaths and even energy healers and mediums.
A massage junkie to begin with, I've now been hooked by more abstruse forms of bodywork. These include Trager work (where limbs are wobbled gently to restore mental and physical harmony -- and yes, it works like a dream); zero-balancing (gentle spine-loosening which can release emotional blocks); Thai yoga massage (lazy man's yoga, and the only thing that has caused me to sleep for 11 hours straight since I had children); ayurvedic bodywork (more passive stretching); Barry Pluke's Bodyshift therapy and Kingsley Ogedengbe's famed Chavutti-Thai (a blend of Indian massage with the feet and Thai limb- stretching techniques). Any one of these at the end of a tough week is my idea of heaven.

Also Feng Shui and electronic gemstone therapy.
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 12:41    Post subject: Yeah! Like What Ever Gets You Off, Man! Reply with quote

Didn't even Mrs Thatcher lie in warm baths, whilst some nice Indian, mystic, lady applied electricity?

Wasn't it called, 'Bond Therapy,' or something?

Wink
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 5945
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 15:00    Post subject: Re: Yeah! Like What Ever Gets You Off, Man! Reply with quote

AndroMan wrote:

Didn't even Mrs Thatcher lie in warm baths, whilst some nice Indian, mystic, lady applied electricity?

Wasn't it called, 'Bond Therapy,' or something?

Wink

And she's been loopy ever since.
rynner
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longish article on science and aromatherapy.

Don't get sniffy about it! Very Happy
beakboo1Offline
Latex RealBird
Total posts: 2322
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I would dearly love to apply electricity to Thatcher as she lies in a warm bath. :p
mejane1Offline
miaow, miaow... purrrr
Total posts: 1383
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

beakboo wrote:

How I would dearly love to apply electricity to Thatcher as she lies in a warm bath. :p

I'd quite like to do the colonic irrigation thing on the old cow... we all have dreams, eh?

Wandering back to the subject, I see nothing wrong with anyone - even wives of politicians - experimenting with alternative therapies. Some of them do work. Some of them are a lot of hogswash.

On the other hand, if she starts asking an astrologer whether or not her hubbie should nuke Iraq... Surprised

Jane.
Dennis_De_BacleOffline
Total posts: 1216
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm

Last edited by Dennis_De_Bacle on 17-09-2005 19:04; edited 1 time in total
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5725
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The growth business in shopping precincts round Manchester is Chinese
Herbal Medicine. The Chinese supermarkets also carry stocks of curious
"food supplements" which often have florid promises on the packages.
They are directed at the general public, not just the Chinese community.

It is not so long ago that I found a pack of tea which promised to cure
cancers, among many other things! Some have been banned in recent
years when research has suggested they may themselves be carcinogenic.

I am unsure about the legal standing of Chinese Doctors and their medicines.
Are Chinese Medical qualifications recognized by the law?

I do know that there are plans afoot to restrict or ban the sales of many
Western herbal remedies, including Saint John's Wort, which sells in such
vast quantities as to suggest a very depressed Nation indeed! confused
rynner
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Whitehead wrote:

It is not so long ago that I found a pack of tea which promised to cure cancers, among many other things! Some have been banned in recent years when research has suggested they may themselves be carcinogenic.

So we come full circle - this was one of the scams perpetrated by Cherie's recent 'financial advisor'!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner wrote:

So we come full circle - this was one of the scams perpetrated by Cherie's recent 'financial advisor'!

I thought that his was one of the infamous "slimming teas"?

Does anyone on the board read the "Barefoot Doctor (tm)" column in The Observer magazine? Truly appalling stuff. Today he was claiming that a fear of blood was due to problems with spleen (or possibly kidney) energy and that it coould all be cured by taking certain herbs and massaging the instep. For some reason I always find my spleen energy rising when reading the good "doctor", and am always on the lookout to vent it. Mad
Dennis_De_BacleOffline
Total posts: 1216
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm

Last edited by Dennis_De_Bacle on 17-09-2005 19:01; edited 1 time in total
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 5945
PostPosted: 22-12-2002 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info here.
beakboo1Offline
Latex RealBird
Total posts: 2322
PostPosted: 23-12-2002 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:

Any treatment 'alternative' or otherwise which helps people break free from the tyranny of drugs should be encouraged and applauded.

It's not a tyranny, anti depressants are a liberation and live saver for many. I agree that some alternatives can be good, and anti depressants should only be used when these fail, but I think it's a bit negative to describe them as a tyranny. Smile
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 2321
PostPosted: 23-12-2002 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

No harm in some of these alternative therapies as long as you don't expect spectacular results.

There may be a placebo effect which people claim as 'cures' in some instances.

I like crystals because they're nice to look at and if the supposed properties of crystals are indeed true, well, that's an added bonus.

I also like aromatherapy because it feels/smells good and does in some instances work, or at least the insect repellant mix of oils that I tried did. Usually I get eaten alive by mozzies when I'm abroad, when I used the aromatherapy remedy they kept away from me, and the oils even smelt nice . . .

But, if Mrs Blair had any common sense she would have kept quiet about her dabblings in such esoteric interests.

Carole
Spookyangel
Anonymous lurker
PostPosted: 23-12-2002 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to agree with you there, Carole. If you believe a treatment is going to make you feel better, then it will.
I was a nervous wreck about taking my driving test and so was recommended by a friend to take "Kalms". They aren't addictive, just some herbal tablets. I took them for a few days before and flew through my test feeling incredibly relaxed about it all.
I found out afterwards, that I didn't actually take them for long enough for them to get into my blood stream and work properly, and I didn't even take a high enough dosage! lol Just shows, you can talk yourself into these things. Smile
Aromatherapy is another example.At one point a few years back I did suffer from stress a lot and found I felt bette if I had some Neroli or Bergamot on a tissue to sniff when I felt the panic feeling rising. Not sure if it worked, or whether it was just that I liked the smell, but it got me through a difficult time.
As long as ppl don't use these alternative treatments in place of medecine when something is really wrong, I don't see the harm in any of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: