 |
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
HenryFort Bad Craziness - Wide Asleep at the Wheel
Joined: 23 Oct 2005 Total posts: 927 Location: UK Again Age: 43 Gender: Male |
Posted: 28-07-2013 21:45 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| this thread reminds me of the flitcraft 'story within a story' from dashiell hammetts maltese falcon ... parable and meaning |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
kamalktk Great Old One Joined: 05 Feb 2011 Total posts: 705 Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 16-08-2013 18:38 Post subject: |
|
|
|
The mystery of the vanishing gun inventor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23709471
William Cantelo, a 19th Century inventor rumoured to be working on an early version of the machine-gun, left his house one day and never returned. What happened to him, asks Steve Punt... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ramonmercado Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003 Total posts: 17933 Location: Dublin Gender: Male |
Posted: 16-08-2013 20:33 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| kamalktk wrote: | The mystery of the vanishing gun inventor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23709471
William Cantelo, a 19th Century inventor rumoured to be working on an early version of the machine-gun, left his house one day and never returned. What happened to him, asks Steve Punt... |
Fascinating story. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
HenryFort Bad Craziness - Wide Asleep at the Wheel
Joined: 23 Oct 2005 Total posts: 927 Location: UK Again Age: 43 Gender: Male |
Posted: 16-08-2013 20:47 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| theres a nolan-esque "the prestige" plot arc going on in that article ... by punt of punt and dennis fame by all accounts |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
HenryFort Bad Craziness - Wide Asleep at the Wheel
Joined: 23 Oct 2005 Total posts: 927 Location: UK Again Age: 43 Gender: Male |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ramonmercado Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003 Total posts: 17933 Location: Dublin Gender: Male |
Posted: 25-09-2013 23:13 Post subject: |
|
|
|
Its also being discussed on another thread. An amazing story. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
EnolaGaia Joined: 19 Jul 2004 Total posts: 1305 Location: USA Gender: Male |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
rynner2 What a Cad! Great Old One Joined: 13 Dec 2008 Total posts: 21365 Location: Under the moon Gender: Male |
Posted: 09-10-2013 09:04 Post subject: |
|
|
|
“Come home dad” –desperate family of missing Poole man Richard Gibbons speak of anguish
6:00am Wednesday 9th October 2013 in Latest
By Diana Henderson
THE family of missing Poole man Richard Gibbons have spoken of their anguish after nearly six months with no news.
The 54 year-old rock-music loving grandfather lived at Alderney and went missing from his home by 7am on April 18.
Wife Sandra and his six children, aged from 37 to 23, have never stopped searching for him and have set up a Facebook page to spread the word far and wide.
“It's so heartbreaking,” said middle daughter Rachel, who lives in Swanage and has three children of her own. “Everyone is devastated.
“My mum is in pieces. She feels helpless. We are at breaking point,” she said. “But we have never, ever stopped looking for him.”
Richard, was close to his 14 grandchildren, who are aged from 20 down to two, and is to become a great-grandfather, with his eldest grandchild Krystal Fossey due to give birth in a couple of weeks.
Before he disappeared he had concerns over his health, suffering seizures earlier in the year and was awaiting an MRI scan.
The family used to live in Milton Keynes, where he owned his own electrical engineering business and was in a band, and moved to Dorset in 2000.
“I don't think he was well enough to realise what he has done,” said Rachel. “I just want him to come home.”
Only son Richard said: “I have lost my best friend, my father. We have explored so many possibilities.
“He is irreplaceable to me and my family.”
He said he missed all the things he and his dad did together, and appealed for anybody who knew anything of his whereabouts to report it.
Richard is described as 5ft 7ins tall, of slight build, with mid-brown shoulder length hair and is believed to have been wearing a dark grey Superdry jacket with yellow logo on the shoulder, black or blue jeans and black plimsolls.
Anyone with any information about him should contact Dorset Police on 101.
http://www.thisisdorset.net/news/tidnews/10725423.___Come_home_dad_______desperate_family_of_missing_Poole_man_Richard_Gibbons_speak_of_anguish/?ref=rss
Did he have a seizure and fall in the harbour? But it's a busy place, and the body would probably have been found.
(I'd not heard of Alderney in Poole before, but it's a suburb NE of the centre, opposite Alderney Hospital.) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ramonmercado Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003 Total posts: 17933 Location: Dublin Gender: Male |
Posted: 11-10-2013 13:14 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Quote: | Coroner says 'no signs' Ariel Castro died in sex act
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24487839
Ariel Castro in the courtroom in Cleveland. Photo: August 2013
The coroner who classified the death of Ohio captor Ariel Castro as a suicide says there were no signs he had been choking himself for sexual pleasure.
It follows a state prison report that suggested his death by hanging last month may not have been suicide.
It said he was found partially naked in his cell and hinted at accidental death by auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Castro was beginning a life sentence for imprisoning, raping and torturing three women in his home for ten years.
Details of his death were published by the Ohio Department for Rehabilitation and Correction on Thursday.
'Not enough evidence'
According to the findings, Castro was found "hanging from a hinge in the window of his cell by a sheet wrapped around his neck. His pants and underwear were pulled down to his ankles".
The convict left no suicide note.
The report said Castro's intentions were unclear, however the facts had been "relayed to the Ohio State Highway Patrol for consideration of the possibility of auto-erotic asphyxiation" - the act of restricting air supply for sexual pleasure.
But Franklin County coroner Jan Gorniak said there were no signs Castro had been sexually stimulated, speaking in a statement to media on Thursday.
"That's why I called it a hanging suicide," she is quoted as saying by the Plain Dealer newspaper.
The home of Ariel Castro being bulldozed in Cleveland on 7 August 2013.
Castro's home, where the women were imprisoned, was torn down in August
She suggested his trousers and underwear may have simply fallen down while he was hanging and was not enough evidence to back up the idea of auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Ms Gorniak said she had not been consulted by anyone involved in the report over the possible cause of death.
The report also found that prison guards had faked logs about their monitoring of Ariel Castro in the hours before he killed himself.
Officials found video footage indicating that two guards failed to make checks at least eight times on that day.
Castro was supposed to have been checked by guards in his isolation cell in Orient, Ohio, every 30 minutes.
The 53-year-old was taken off suicide watch in June after authorities determined he was not at risk of taking his own life.
His lawyer, Craig Weintraub, told reporters last month that Castro had been denied permission to receive independent counselling despite previously contemplating suicide and that he was likely to suffer depression after his sentence.
The former school bus driver was sentenced in August to life imprisonment without parole plus 1,000 years for the abduction of Michelle Knight, 32, Amanda Berry, 27, and Gina DeJesus, 23, from the Cleveland streets between 2002-04.
The three women escaped from Castro's home on 6 May.
In an interview soon after his conviction, Castro's lawyers said that he fit the profile of someone with a sociopathic disorder. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ramonmercado Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003 Total posts: 17933 Location: Dublin Gender: Male |
Posted: 11-10-2013 13:28 Post subject: |
|
|
|
The hospital can't have carried out much of a search. Big damages case coing I reckon.
| Quote: | Missing UK woman found dead in US hospital stairwell
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24461923
Lynne Spalding's friends set up a Facebook page asking for help finding her
A British woman who went missing from a US hospital more than two weeks ago has been found dead in an outside stairwell at the hospital.
Lynne Spalding, 57, had been treated for a bladder infection at San Francisco General Hospital and had appeared disorientated shortly before she disappeared on 21 September.
She was was not found until Tuesday.
Ms Spalding's body was found by a hospital employee in the rarely used exterior stairwell.
The Foreign Office confirmed that it was aware of the death of a British national and was providing consular assistance to her family.
BBC correspondent Alastair Leithead reported that Ms Spalding, who was originally from Peterlee, County Durham, had suddenly disappeared from her hospital room.
She had been there for two days and was described as being in a fair condition and improving shortly before she went missing, our correspondent said.
Staff 'devastated'
Following her disappearance, the hospital was searched and police opened a missing person investigation.
The hospital's chief medical officer, Todd May, said staff did not know what had happened, or how she had got through a fire exit door which was normally alarmed and locked from the outside.
"What happened at our hospital is horrible," he said.
"We are here to take care of patients, to heal them, to keep them safe. This has shaken us to our core. Our staff is devastated."
A family spokesman asked how could a woman be missing for 17 days in "one of the finest medical institutions in this country".
He criticised the search of the hospital for Ms Spalding for not being thorough enough. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
rynner2 What a Cad! Great Old One Joined: 13 Dec 2008 Total posts: 21365 Location: Under the moon Gender: Male |
Posted: 12-10-2013 10:49 Post subject: |
|
|
|
Another puzzling case, that suggests that sometimes people who 'disappear' may not be far away at all...
Mystery after bodies found in garden of house whose elderly residents 'vanished'
Detectives have discovered the remains of two people buried in the back garden of a quiet suburban home more than a decade after the elderly couple living there “disappeared”.
[video]
By Sam Marsden
6:44PM BST 11 Oct 2013
Police dug up the bodies on Thursday after receiving a tip-off last week about an “incident” alleged to have happened at the property in the late 1990s.
Neighbours said a reclusive husband and wife in their 70s had lived in the smart 1980s semi-detached house for several years, but then suddenly vanished.
It is understood that officers may have been attempting to trace family members of the couple in recent days.
The dead pair are believed to be adults, but they have not been named. Police warned that it could take weeks or even months before the heavily decomposed bodies are formally identified.
Police continued searches at the house in Blenheim Close, Forest Town, near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, today.
Part of the rear garden was covered by a white and blue forensics tent and mounds of earth were piled up next to a mini digger.
One neighbour said the elderly couple who occupied the property in the 1990s had “seemed to disappear”.
The woman, who did not want to be named, said: “I hardly ever spoke to them, and we never really saw them, or anyone visiting them. Then they just vanished.
“It was weird. The word on the street was that they had emigrated. But I thought that was strange as they seemed so elderly.
“I have been here for 18 years, and they were here when I moved in. The house was a bit neglected, and you would only ever really catch glimpses of them through the window.”
She said she believed the house then stood empty until the present occupiers moved in about seven years ago.
The neighbour, who lives in the quiet cul-de-sac with her partner and 16-year-old son, said she was “very shocked” by the discovery of the bodies.
“We have been living here and having parties in the back garden and barbecues while all the time there were human remains buried just yards away. It's awful,” she said.
"It is unbelievable really. Nothing much goes on around here. It's is just a typical suburban street."
There have been no arrests but police have given few details about their investigation, other than to confirm that the current owner and tenant of the house are not part of the inquiry.
Inspector Mark Webster, of Nottinghamshire Police, said forensic tests were being carried out to identify the remains.
He would not disclose any more detail about precisely what information had sparked the police search and refused to rule out the possibility of officers looking for somebody else in connection with the deaths.
However, he stressed that he could not say whether a murder investigation would be launched until detectives knew who the dead pair were.
Appealing for anyone with information to come forward, Insp Webster added: "If anyone in Mansfield or the surrounding areas knows anything that could help the police, we would be very grateful.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10373900/Mystery-after-bodies-found-in-garden-of-house-whose-elderly-residents-vanished.html |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Ronson8 Things can only get better. Great Old One Joined: 31 Jul 2001 Total posts: 6061 Location: MK Gender: Male |
Posted: 12-10-2013 11:46 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Quote: | | He would not disclose any more detail about precisely what information had sparked the police search and refused to rule out the possibility of officers looking for somebody else in connection with the deaths. |
I can see why he wouldn't rule out looking for somebody else considering it unlikely that they buried themselves.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Ronnor Yeti Joined: 23 Oct 2009 Total posts: 81 Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 12-10-2013 12:20 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| If they 'disappeared' suddenly (albeit they were dead and buried in the back garden), how did the house come to be sold? The report says "the house then stood empty until the present occupies moved in about 7 years ago" but someone must have disposed of the couple's belongings and put the house on the market...? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Mythopoeika Boring petty conservative
Joined: 18 Sep 2001 Total posts: 9109 Location: Not far from Bedford Gender: Unknown |
Posted: 12-10-2013 13:40 Post subject: |
|
|
|
| Ronnor wrote: | | If they 'disappeared' suddenly (albeit they were dead and buried in the back garden), how did the house come to be sold? The report says "the house then stood empty until the present occupies moved in about 7 years ago" but someone must have disposed of the couple's belongings and put the house on the market...? |
Yes, fingers can only point at a relative, I think... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Monstrosa Joined: 07 Feb 2007 Total posts: 506 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
|