Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory, Strangely Common
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1981
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 06:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give someone a life sentence in the UK then they can become uncontrollable prisoners as they can't really be sentenced to much else on top of the life term.

Someone in prison for life in the States (for example) still has the added bonus of a death penalty if they murder another inmate or guard.

These two at least need to be locked away in solitary for 23 hours a day.
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 488
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 07:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:

Yeah, agreed. I don't want to get off-thread here, but I don't see what that'd achieve, really. I'd prefer the bullet/brain option.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1981
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 08:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergeant_Pluck wrote:
CarlosTheDJ wrote:

Yeah, agreed. I don't want to get off-thread here, but I don't see what that'd achieve, really. I'd prefer the bullet/brain option.

Too quick Twisted Evil
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 08:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Too quick Twisted Evil

A popular POV for many people, I suppose. For me, that's the difference between justice and revenge. I don't see why we should be cruel about punishment, however heinous the crime. Paying with one's life is the ultimate sanction, after all, and should be taken as cleanly/quickly as possible.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 09:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against the death penalty because it gives the State too much power and too much can go wrong.

Fine, maybe, when situations are clear cut, like the case in question, but even then, I'd say that, 'the ultimate sanction' is too much power to be in the hands of the State. There have to be some clear limits to power.

If things are less clear cut, then at least a life sentence is commutable. If Britain still had the death penalty, there would have been an awful lot of innocent people swung from the end of a rope in the last fifty years.
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 09:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, kind of. I oscillate in my opinion of it, sometimes for, sometimes against. 55-45 for, I guess, assuming a credible system of justice with the appropriate safeguarding.

I'm afraid I don't look at it in such Orwellian terms, as power given to a state (or, indeed, State). I think it has little to do with the state and exercision of power. Clearly, corrupt and totalitarian regimes have never traditionally relied on such niceties as a rule of law to become corrupt and totalitarian in the first place.

Furthermore, I'd find it difficult to think of an 'awful lot' of innocent people who would have been hanged since the abolishment of the DP. There haven't been too many convicted of a - would-be - capital crime who have been exonerated. Birmingham Six, I suppose is the obvious example.

Indeed, the law isn't perfect, but I can probably think of more people deserving of capital punishment that didn't get it, than those who weren't but would have.

Last edited by Sergeant_Pluck on 13-07-2012 12:22; edited 1 time in total
FelixAntoniusOffline
Outsider.
Total posts: 1055
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergeant_Pluck wrote:

....... If one of these guys is a 'remorseless, callous psychopath' then why is he not strait-jacketed up in a secure mental institution somewhere. A clear dereliction of duty by the administrators of the 'system', surely.

Quite simply, you can't cure a psychopath, possibly the burn out at some point, but there will never be any real remorse for their actions.

A hospital is for treatment...... For a psychopath there isn't any that works!
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8590
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergeant_Pluck wrote:
..There haven't been too many convicted of a - would-be - capital crime who have been exonerated. Birmingham Six, I suppose is the obvious example, ...

Then as a law graduate you should also be very aware that your own opinion aside, they were exonerated by a court of law,and as such are considered innocent - and suggestions to the contrary can thus be construed as libelous.

Perhaps you'd like to clarify your position on that particular group of free individuals?

Last edited by stuneville on 13-07-2012 12:25; edited 1 time in total
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

FelixAntonius wrote:
A hospital is for treatment...... For a psychopath there isn't any that works!

Well, quite, but what are you going to do. Can't keep them in a prison where they slice up all the other inmates, and if you're not going to kill them, you may as well keep them in a secure facility.

I'm a great advocate of the 'oubliette' - a small hole, usually under a dungeon floor in a medieval castle, where you put people to forget (oublier - french - to forget)

As an aside, I've just read Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test, which in incredibly interesting - and quite frightening - treatise on the difficulties of diagnosing sanity. Consider this - if I accused you of being a psychopath, how would you convince me that you're not psychopathic?

Last edited by Sergeant_Pluck on 13-07-2012 15:36; edited 2 times in total
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
and suggestions to the contrary can thus be construed as libelous.

Perhaps you'd like to clarify your position on that particular group of free individuals?

Yes, the words 'suggestion' and 'construed' are the vague terms that are tripping you up there. Libel is a published false statement, and since I deliberately 'suggested' an opinion, wholly without malice, libel would be a diffcult sell.

I do, however, take your point, and in respect for your moderatory position and the integrity of the board, I have edited my post to remove the suggestion in its entirety rather than clarify my position further.

Last edited by Sergeant_Pluck on 13-07-2012 15:31; edited 1 time in total
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8590
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I took the liberty of editing your last post to sort out the quote tags.

We do have a somewhat overly twitchy legal dept. Trust me on that.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergeant_Pluck wrote:

Furthermore, I'd find it difficult to think of an 'awful lot' of innocent people who would have been hanged since the abolishment of the DP. There haven't been too many convicted of a - would-be - capital crime who have been exonerated. Birmingham Six, I suppose is the obvious example.

Indeed, the law isn't perfect, but I can probably think of more people deserving of capital punishment that didn't get it, than those who weren't but would have.

There's a list of UK miscarriages of justice on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miscarriage_of_justice_cases#United_Kingdom

It's quite a long list.
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-07-2012 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
It's quite a long list.

Yes, it is. Fair enough, I'll concede the point. While I don't have enough knowledge of most of the individual cases, it does seem that your assertion holds.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21535
PostPosted: 16-07-2012 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Papua New Guinea Alleged Cannibals Charged
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/13/papua-new-guinea-cannibals_n_1670688.html
By ROD McGUIRK 07/13/12 05:01 AM ET

CANBERRA, Australia -- Authorities have arrested 29 people accused of being part of a cannibal cult in Papua New Guinea's jungle interior and charged them with the murders of seven suspected witch doctors, police said Friday.

Madang Police Commander Anthony Wagambie confirmed a report in The National newspaper that said the cult members allegedly ate their victims' brains raw and made soup from their penises.

"They don't think they've done anything wrong; they admit what they've done openly," Wagambie told The Associated Press by telephone.

He said the killers believed that their victims practiced "sanguma," or sorcery, and that they had been extorting money as well as demanding sex from poor villagers for their supernatural services.

By eating witch doctors' organs, the cult members believed they would attain supernatural powers and literally become bullet-proof, he said.

"It's prevalent cult activity," Wagambie said. He said he believes there could be between 700 and 1,000 cult members in several villages in Papua New Guinea's remote northeast interior. All of them might have eaten human flesh, he said.

According to the report in The National, which is published in Papua New Guinea, 28 men and women appeared in a Madang court on Tuesday. Wagambie said they were charged with willful murder.

It was not clear what happened to the 29th suspect. Murder is punishable by death in Papua New Guinea, a poor South Pacific island nation.

Wagambie said the suspects were not required to plea to the murder charges and were being held in custody.

Police will gather more witness statements before pressing charges related to the cannibalism allegations, he said.

Cannibalism was part of traditional culture in Papua New Guinea, where human flesh was known as "long pig," and survived in isolated pockets into the latter part of the 20th century while the country was under Australian colonial rule.

Wagambie, 36, said he had never heard of a previous case of cannibalism in his lifetime.

He expected police would make around 100 arrests over the weekend for cult-related crimes.

Four of the seven victims were murdered last week, Wagambie said, adding that no remains had been recovered.

"They're probably all eaten up," he said.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 01-10-2012 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of the UK preparing to reposition itself to face the rigours of the Global free market, or just a bit of publicity fun?
Quote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/27/human-butchery_n_1920440.html

World's First 'Human Butchery' To Set Up In London's Smithfield's Meat Market (PHOTOS)

The Huffington Post | By Rachel Tepper Posted: 09/27/2012

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/791684/thumbs/r-HUMAN-BUTCHERY-large570.jpg

Just when we think we've seen the wackiest from morbid cake curator Miss Cakehead, she ups the ante.

If you were turned off by her severed toe cookies, anatomically-correct macarons or gross-out cocktails, then you're probably not going to like her latest project, the world's first pop-up "human butchery."

HuffPost got a sneak peek at photos for the upcoming event, which is being sponsored by video game publisher Capcom to mark the release of "Resident Evil 6."

For the non-gamers among us, "Resident Evil" is a survival horror video game series that's bloody, to say the least. It's fitting, then, that the promotional launch for the latest installment feature meaty offerings from the "gory world of Wesker & Son, the fictional butcher with a penchant for human flesh," according to a release.

The make-believe butchery will open for two days, September 28 and 29, in a very real location -- London's famous meat market, Smithfield's -- and will offer some edible items for purchase: "Peppered Human & Lemon Sausages," "J’avo Caught Human Thigh Steaks" and specially-made pots of "Red Herb" and "Green Herb."

Never fear, the meat in question isn't actually human, although it's unclear what meat is used. Gross or not, we can't help but admire the pieces' clear artistry, which comes courtesy of artist Sharon Baker. From the look of her web site, she's created some creepy works before; check out these human bread casts.

If you can stomach it, take a look at more of Baker's meaty work for the "human butchery." Fair warning, a few of these pictures are NSFW.

Rather grisly photos at link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: