Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Good posting practices
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mejane1Offline
miaow, miaow... purrrr
Total posts: 1637
PostPosted: 15-07-2004 13:22    Post subject: Quoting posts Reply with quote

A bit of netiquette advise for those who haven't quite got to grips with things yet...

When quoting a previous post it helps everyone else if you use the php "quote" function instead of just putting the text in inverted commas or brackets. It's easy to do - just copy the text you wish to quote, click the "Quote" button near the top of the screen, paste the text and then click "ok".

Quote:
the text will appear like this

If you want to quote an entire post (useful only if the post is fairly short and not immediately above your own post) then click the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button at the bottom of the post you wish to reply to. You will then get something like this:

Quote:
originally posted by mejane[b]
the text will appear like this

followed by your own comments.

Even a non-techy like me can do it!

Jane.
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19943
PostPosted: 09-08-2004 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few general pointers:

1. Check that it hasn't already been posted or, if you are starting a thread, make sure there isn't already a thread on this topic - the search facility is OK (if not perfect) and should bring up previous topics and if it doesn't we don't mind moving things around if people have made an effort first (see 5).

2. Consider posting the relevant parts of a news report rather than just simply linking to it (esp. if it is very relevant to the thread and/or your point) as news tends to be ephemeral and most eventually disappear and it can be frustrating going through old threads that have been rendered

3. Please use the QUOTE markup tags - see above. It helps everyone tell if it is your words or someone elses and can help avoid confusion

4. If you post a news report or excerpts from another site please include a link - it acts as a credit, we can check facts, etc.

5. Don't treat it as a slight if it has to be moved at some point - it is less a reflection on you and more just part of our general housekeeping/filing duties. If you spot a post that needs merging (or moving) don't reply with a link to the other thread with a "its already being discussed here" drop both links into the Reorganisation thread.

6. Make sure the colour of the text doesn't clash with the forum's background colour as there are a number of options with the text colour that make text virtually unreadable on this grey background (unless its done for comedy purposes).

7. The board no longer automatically shortens links and they will make the board awfully wide (for some browsers). We will edit large links when they come to our attention (post them in the re-org thread if you spot them) but it'd be easier if they were posted in a shortened form initially. You can use the BBcode posted below or consider using one of the link shortening services like TinyURL or MakeAShorterLink. A good rule of thumb on length is if the link is much wider than the text box the messages goes into.

8. Can you make the title of the thread indicate its contents? You can still be creative (and even make bad puns - thats me really but anyone is welcome to join me) as long as it isn't WTF??, etc.

Also make sure you have read the following:

FAQs

Note: This isn't directed any specific people but are just a few things I've noticed as a mod and general board user as well as being the result of my learning from my making mistakes. They aren't rules just general guidelines to bear in mind when you are posting and might make life easier for current board users as well as helping future members.

If you wish to direct people to this post the URL is:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=425224#425224

but do it privately to save people's feelings.

Last edited by Mighty_Emperor on 31-05-2006 02:37; edited 4 times in total
CavynautOffline
Skoumed!
Total posts: 2000
PostPosted: 03-09-2004 01:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you quote and then answer more than one point from a particular post?

What I mean is...

Quote one.

My answer.

Quote two.

My answer.

etc, etc.

Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but I've noticed several people managing it, and I'd like to know how.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11948
PostPosted: 03-09-2004 03:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pressing the quote button does is put the tag [qu*te] before the text you want to quote and the tag [/qu*te] after it. You can easily just type those by hand and copy and paste the text you want in between. i.e type "[qu*te]" - then copy the text you want to quote - then type "[/qu*te]" and put your comments after the last bracket.

Smile

* replace all *'s with Os - if i actually typed Os in this post and not *s it would make them quotes for me and not show what i meant....

Last edited by Yithian on 03-09-2004 03:20; edited 1 time in total
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 27-09-2004 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavynaut: If it is to address different parts of one reply I tend to hit the quote button and then highlight and copy and paste the quote a number of times and then edit the to leave in the relevant bit - it often helps to use something like Notepad if there is a lot of material.
oll_lewisOffline
mi mou tous kiklous taratte
Total posts: 3071
PostPosted: 02-10-2004 01:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I contribute a little netiquette point?... I hope this is the right thread to add it too. (not in resonce to things that have happened recently just things that have come up in the past and could do with being added to the netiquite list).

please don't just post to correct another posters spellings, if you are quoteing them and wish to correct any typos in the quote fine. However, it often comes of as a 'neer, neer, I'm smarter than you' post if people try to corect spellings even if that is not intended because many trolls or people who have lot arguments people use 'correcting spelling' as a last resort to try and flame people when they can't think of other ways or clever retorts.

I have creative spelling because I speak both welsh and english and both languages have very different spellings and it's hard keeping track of both, for others it may be becase of dislexia or just a tendency to typo, a persons spelling is no reflexion on their inteligence.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 25-10-2004 01:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord_Flashheart wrote:

please don't just post to correct another posters spellings, if you are quoteing them and wish to correct any typos in the quote fine. However, it often comes of as a 'neer, neer, I'm smarter than you' post if people try to corect spellings even if that is not intended because many trolls or people who have lot arguments people use 'correcting spelling' as a last resort to try and flame people when they can't think of other ways or clever retorts.

Noted. Sorry. That's me sometimes, ain't it? blush
hecate10Offline
Trainee Goddess
Total posts: 233
PostPosted: 01-11-2004 20:15    Post subject: good POSTING practices???? Reply with quote

......eh?.....

Would someone like to interpret please?????

Incidentally I had an email telling me about this reply 'to a thread I had posted on...' - I never!!!!
PostPosted: 01-11-2004 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuManChu wrote:

If you want to send declarations of undying love, or death threats, don't use PM,... stick to the crayon and snail mail system, you know it makes sense
And why would that be?
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10531
PostPosted: 01-11-2004 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuManChu wrote:

If you want to send declarations of undying love, or death threats, don't use PM,... stick to the crayon and snail mail system, you know it makes sense
How about Fiendish Plot discussions?
CodenameThrowOffline
Oblongate carnival
Total posts: 1676
PostPosted: 02-11-2004 09:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm safe
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11948
PostPosted: 02-11-2004 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu neville wrote:

How about Fiendish Plot discussions?

No they stay in IRC.
StormkhanOffline
Disturbingly familiar
Total posts: 5331
PostPosted: 02-11-2004 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally you can't beat the cut-out-newspaper-text method of slasher-stalker mail. It adds a little "something" to the message. Like saliva!

Some things have been spoiled by the internet.
Andylkl1Offline
Animal Lover
Total posts: 51
PostPosted: 21-11-2004 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormkhan wrote:
Naturally you can't beat the cut-out-newspaper-text method of slasher-stalker mail. It adds a little "something" to the message. Like saliva!

Some things have been spoiled by the internet.

Saliva, blood and any other bodily fluids imaginable... Laughing

But at least we could expect an instant response through the internet!
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
PostPosted: 22-11-2004 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the "link breaking" feature (which split up long URLs to stop them breaking the baord) isn't available in the current installation of the forum.

We'll see if there is a fix but we'd ask people posting any URLs (or at least long ones) to use the format:

[url=http://www.domain.com/this_is_a_rather_long_url_an_example_of_how_things_break.html]Source[/url]

Last edited by Mighty_Emperor on 21-02-2005 22:21; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: