Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Good posting practices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner
PostPosted: 19-08-2008 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupinwick wrote:
A lot better than making the text overly small. It also shows the URL (at least on firefox) when the mouse hovers over the text.

IE also shows the URL when the mouse hovers over the text (whatever the text size) in the bar at the bottom of the page (usually just above the task bar).

eg try http://news.bbc.co.uk/
rynner
PostPosted: 28-08-2008 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

If resizing the font in a URL, put a space at either end of the URL, inside the tags.

That way the link remains clickable, and a reader does not need to cut'n'paste it into the address bar to see the original article.
rynner
PostPosted: 07-10-2008 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gothgirl is using a GINORMOUS sig
- eg,here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=822959#822959

Naughty, n'est ce pas?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18650
PostPosted: 07-10-2008 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, s'a cute monkey, but with monkeys, a little goes a long way.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11948
PostPosted: 08-10-2008 04:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise it was a sig! I thought she was posting a big picture each time for fun!
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10508
PostPosted: 08-10-2008 06:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner wrote:
- eg,here:

Naughty, n'est ce pas?

Oui. Ce sera sous peu une signature sans singes.

Et voila!
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20722
PostPosted: 08-10-2008 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner wrote:
- eg,here:

Naughty, n'est ce pas?

Slap an ASBO on her!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25312
PostPosted: 18-10-2010 09:09    Post subject: QUOTE... UNQUOTE Reply with quote

Take a look at the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations: most of the quotes there are just a sentence or two, or a paragraph, or a stanza or two of poetry. So it seems that the working definition of a quote is a short extract from some writer's work.

So why oh why do so many people here post long passages or complete articles using the board's quote function? Especially when this has the disadvantage of being in a smaller font which is harder to read? The problem is made worse when the 'quote' includes not only the text of the article but picture captions, sidebars, and other miscellaneous gubbins which break up the flow of the piece. (When presented with such a post, I read the first few sentences to see if it's likely to interest me, in which case I'll then click the link to read the original; otherwise I'm off!)

As far as I can see, the only justification for using quotes for a long post is to say "I didn't write this, it was some bloke in the Daily Blah!". But there are other ways to handle this: I use italics for any introduction or comments I wish to write, and leave the article (with gubbins edited out) in the standard font. Another way might be to use different font colours.

Any other thoughts?
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 18-10-2010 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the article isn't too long, and is controversial, I like to quote the whole thing (edited for sidebars etc) in case it 'disappears' and can't be found again. Wink
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25312
PostPosted: 18-10-2010 09:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
If the article isn't too long, and is controversial, I like to quote the whole thing (edited for sidebars etc) in case it 'disappears' and can't be found again. Wink

Yes, it's good practice to back up something that may disappear from the web, but you miss my main point - why use quotes at all?
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 18-10-2010 09:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use quotes to distinguish quoted material from my own, comments. Also they clearly show that the content of a Post came from somewhere else. Sometimes it is very hard to tell where the original ends and the comments begin. I prominently add the URL to link it to the original source and it's provenance, to show that it came from somewhere else. Just in case I was accused of plagiarism, or copyright infringement. Also I try not to Post an entire Article, these days and just try to give the gist in the opening paragraphs, hoping that it won't be removed at some point from the original site. Some attempt at Posting in the spirit of 'Fair Use', anyway.

Of course some Posters forgo making known their own interpretations of the text through comment, just cutting&pasting, leaving it to the reader to make their own mind up as to the cut&pasted object's significance. Perhaps to add to the pleasure (the 'jouissance´, as Jaques Lacan might have put it), if any. As if it was some sort of intertextual ink blot test.

Comment is not always required, sometimes the qualities of the text shine through, its relevance being immediate and self evident. However, often it´s nice to know what the Poster might have been thinking when they came to Post whatever it was they thought interesting, or relevant, if only in mitigation.

Smile
YithianOffline
PostPosted: 10-12-2010 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I had an attack of podgy fingers when trying to scroll around on my iPhone: I think I 'reported' someone or something that I didn't intend do. Please ignore it.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10508
PostPosted: 11-12-2010 08:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for mentioning.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 11-12-2010 08:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always doing that. Drives the mods mad. Very Happy

The 'quote' and 'report' buttons are very close together. On an iPhone it's like trying to catch the attention of one of two mutually affectionate cheese mites.
YithianOffline
PostPosted: 11-12-2010 09:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
I'm always doing that. Drives the mods mad. Very Happy

The 'quote' and 'report' buttons are very close together. On an iPhone it's like trying to catch the attention of one of two mutually affectionate cheese mites.

I also find that as pages with multiple components sometimes load stutteringly, I can be about to 'click/touch' one icon when the page loads more fully and expands leaving me hitting the wrong bit.

Patience is the answer, I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: