Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Good posting practices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13729
PostPosted: 11-12-2010 09:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, with this new technology it's all too easy to accidentally click on the wrong link. M'lud.
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 19-02-2011 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love your health banter but I also love this thread and for the last few days when I clicked on it to read about more minor strangeness I get a illnesses and remedies. Sorry folks but could we have a different threat for that and get on with the weird and wonderful on this one...pleeeeeeeease! index2.htm
Bigfoot73Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1110
PostPosted: 19-02-2011 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you actually have anything you wanted to post yourself, that somehow we are inhibiting you from posting?
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 20-02-2011 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfoot73 wrote:
So did you actually have anything you wanted to post yourself, that somehow we are inhibiting you from posting?

No, I wasn't inhibited from posting anything; I was inhibited from reading about minor strangeness. There is a chat section for banter. And I find my post was quite justified and polite. So why the hostility?
LaurenChurchillOffline
Pretty Good Old One
Total posts: 680
PostPosted: 20-02-2011 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because your post doesn't seem all that nice, despite the hugging smilies. Obviously you tried to soften the tone and I appreciate that, but asking people to change the conversation topic back isn't all that polite a thing to do.

Although the topic title IS 'Minor Strangeness' the health talk was a typical conversational tangent that hadn't taken us very far off topic and certainly not to the point where the topic was irretrievable.

Actually, it's the semi-related conversations that keep me coming back here. If each thread was just

Quote:
this happened

Quote:
this happened

Quote:
this happened

I'd tune out pretty damn quickly.
Bigfoot73Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1110
PostPosted: 20-02-2011 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Lauren.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 21-02-2011 09:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are naughty! Sad

I've given this meandering & chatty discourse its own Thread.

'Minor Strangeness' can be found, at:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28407&highlight=minor+strangeness

P_M
LaurenChurchillOffline
Pretty Good Old One
PostPosted: 21-02-2011 09:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding, right? Conversation has to start somewhere. Starting a new thread entirely for a conversation that branched off from another thread is pointless. No one is going to use this thread after uair replies regarding Enid Blyton, and conversation is still going to wander from the central topic of the Minor Strangeness thread.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 21-02-2011 09:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaurenChurchill wrote:
You're kidding, right? Conversation has to start somewhere. Starting a new thread entirely for a conversation that branched off from another thread is pointless. No one is going to use this thread after uair replies regarding Enid Blyton, and conversation is still going to wander from the central topic of the Minor Strangeness thread.

When, Dingo667, very politely, mentioned that the, 'Minor Strangeness' Thread was veering off topic and could the off-topic stuff be taken elsewhere, other Posters were less than polite.

Of course, Dingo667, should have contacted us Mods and we would have intervened. See here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1071322#1071322

I know it should be difficult to veer off topic on such a wide ranging Thread, as 'Minor Strangeness', but you all managed it. Any further questions, PM me, or one of the other Mods. Please try to keep it off the Thread, itself. This Thread is for, em... other stuff.

P_M
LaurenChurchillOffline
Pretty Good Old One
PostPosted: 21-02-2011 09:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding smilie faces, as I said, doesn't change the tone of the post, which was clearly "this is what I want so do it".
Since the entire premise of this thread seems to now be 'random, pointless and contextless conversation' I fail to understand how stating that could possibly be off-topic.
Clearly it is the intention of the FTMB mods to keep the Message Board as conversation-less as possible in order to make everyone equally discontent. Except Dingo667 of course, who would like the threads to be bulletpointed and contain a contents list for quicker reading.

Wait, sorry, I've changed the topic to how to format posts. Should I make a new thread?
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 5945
PostPosted: 21-02-2011 09:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, only one person had a moan about it going a bit ot, does that person have special rights?
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 21-02-2011 09:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Thread about 'Minor Strangeness', on the 'It Happened To Me' Forum, is about strange occurrences and etc. that (ideally), actually happen to Posters. It's not a 'Chat' Thread. If you want to chat, there's a Forum for it. Pick your topic. Minor deviations are one thing, but we're already into the second page on this one.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8615
PostPosted: 23-02-2011 07:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. disparate parts of said new thread, which were very pantomime horse all round, now sent their separate ways, merged in with appropriate bits, etc.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5752
PostPosted: 07-02-2012 00:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a poster has contributed thirty-three out of thirty-five posts to a thread, all of them pasted from other sources without comment, I wonder if he or she might care to consider if this particular means of starting a discussion hasn't failed miserably. Question

edit: "from other sources" added
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 07-02-2012 02:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWhitehead wrote:
When a poster has contributed thirty-three out of thirty-five posts to a thread, all of them pasted from other sources without comment, I wonder if he or she might care to consider if this particular means of starting a discussion hasn't failed miserably. Question

Merely an indication that one should redouble one's efforts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: