Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Bizarre beach beast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19440
PostPosted: 31-07-2004 02:41    Post subject: Bizarre beach beast Reply with quote

Forget mangey hyenas/deer.foxes in the US - how about a mystery washed up on the coast just north of me:

Quote:
Mystery on beach

Is it a bird? Is it a fish? Or is it even a walrus?

Or has a professional cameraman from Chorley chanced upon a whole new species on the Lancashire coast while walking his dog?
When Martin Boardman went for a coastal stroll with his wife Penny and pet trail hound Patch, he never expected it to turn into a nationwide mystery that has puzzled park rangers and zoologists alike.

Martin, from The Grove, chanced upon the rotting carcass in a secluded cove near Arnside and the photographs he took have since flummoxed marine and other wildlife experts.

The freelance cameraman, who is also a keen fisherman, said: "We were walking the dog when we happened upon this little cove and discovered this creature lying on the rocks.

"It was a bit of a mess and was badly decomposed. On first sight I thought it was a porpoise, but then I saw a long beak and was confused. But I think it's definitely a mammal."

Scott Davidson, displays manager at the Aquarium of the Lakes, Lakeside, The Lake District, disagreed.

He said he was pretty certain that Martin's mystery creature was in fact a 10-arm cephalopod mollusc.

The marine life expert said: "I reckon it's a squid and its tentacles have rotted away. But it's a pretty big example – they only normally grow to around 1ft.

"Where you would presume the head is, you can see its beak and where it would pump out water. And if it was decomposing it would certainly have stunk – they're notorious for that.

"What was seen as flippers could just be part of the decomposition. I'm 99% certain it is a squid."

Martin, 47, is now contemplating the possibility that if it is a new species it might even end up named after him.

But for now the Boardmanesis, Boardmanatee or perhaps even the Boardmanemo, is the subject of an investigation that has moved on to the Institute of Zoology, at Regent's Park, London.

Martin's mystery mammal was described as two and a half feet long, with what he said was a "body like a sealion but the bony head of a bird".

It also had what appeared to be two flippers. The bottom of the beak was thin and longer than the top and the creature was a dark tan colour on its back but lighter underneath.

Frank Holding, a park ranger at Yarrow Valley Country Park, Birkacre, Chorley, was puzzled when he was shown Martin's photos.

He said: "If an animal has been a long time in the water it may be unrecognisable from its original state.

"In my humble opinion I would have thought it was perhaps a walrus pup. Its tusks would not normally show at that age, but in this case the skin has decomposed."

Other suggestions included a penguin, seal, or even a platypus.
But Martin was unconvinced and called Blackpool's Sea Life Centre whose bosses passed on details of a marine rescue service.

Gail Platt, from Chorley, a marine mammal medic with British Divers Marine Life Rescue, said: "I couldn't make out what it was, but thought it was more dolphin-like than anything else."

Martin added: "Gail's boss passed on details to Paul Jepson, a zoologist based at London Zoo.

Based on the description he too is stumped, but he is now going to look at the photographs."

* Can you help the Evening Post identify the mysterious beast? Ring the newsdesk on 01772 838103 or e-mail: lep.newsdesk@lep.co.uk with your theories.

30 July 2004

http://www.prestontoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=73&ArticleID=831355

[edit: I've also posted this at TONMO and see what the teuthologists make of it:

http://www.tonmo.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2773

the description of the beak and the colouration do suggest squid - even Giant Squid??]

Last edited by Mighty_Emperor on 31-07-2004 02:54; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 31-07-2004 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

from that picture it almost looks like a seal with it's head partially rotted/bitten off. That beak kinda resembles a lower jaw, but that picture is just insufficient to make any kind of determination. so frustrating when they do that! is there another site with closer pictures?
H_JamesOffline
Ancient Cow (&)
Total posts: 3495
PostPosted: 31-07-2004 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

the picture's sadly really useless.
badotakuOffline
Nocturnal Student
Total posts: 77
PostPosted: 02-08-2004 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a seal to me... Like Search said, without a head.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-08-2004 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a bird-like skull. Looks rather like a penguin... or, dare I say it, am "extinct" Great Auk? Wink

I also recall reading somewhere that 20 or so years ago a lot of King penguins (about 3ft tall) were released for some reason or other around Norway, which of course led to the inevitable Living Great Auk Sightings. Could this be the remains of a late survivor from that population?
Soong2Offline
I am Soong, not a number
Total posts: 377
PostPosted: 06-08-2004 18:47    Post subject: 10-arm cephalopod mollusc Reply with quote

I went out for a beer with one of those once, he had too many arms and no pockets.

I got all excited when I read 'professional photographer', shame that the picture is no use. Kind of reminds me of the staged hoaxes that were fashionable not so long ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: