Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Bermuda Triangle
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin merge
PostPosted: 12-08-2001 21:42    Post subject: The Bermuda Triangle Reply with quote

Anyone know of any recent cases of missing planes and ships, and/or abandoned ships in the area known as the Bermuda Triangle?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-08-2001 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's been any for ages, the vortex has become dormant but the lights are still active in that region. Everybody avoids it now and any disappearances would be covered up anyway, the tourist industries don't want to lose trade because of a "superstision", right?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 13-08-2001 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Perhaps navigation and the building of ships and planes has advanced to the stage where we no longer suddenly lose them in the type of stoems common to the region?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 17-08-2001 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any body considered the theory that the weather conditions there have become more favourable due to the greenhouse effect?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 17-08-2001 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe down Tin-can. Its an invasion...we gotta get off this planet before they come throught the gate!
BreakfastologistOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 925
PostPosted: 17-08-2001 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a brilliant documentary on this on BBC2 a while ago (Horizon or Equinox or something) that suggested the cause of this phenomenon was pockets of natural gas in the sea floor coming bubbling out. This fills the water with bubbles causing it to become super-fluid and resulting in any vessel sinking in seconds- there was very impressive film of this happening to an oil rig in the Black Sea. This can also affect both navigational equipment and aircraft, although I don't recall how. It seemed a very credible explanation of the phenomenon to me...
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4014
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 02:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I seem to remember reading recently that the Bermuda Triangle was never really a "phenomenon" itself but an attempt to create an anomily on paper, that really anywhere you look on a map would have a similar amount of unexplainible phenomenon.

In particular, the report of the lost squadron of planes. I know I read a detailed account of the facts there, and the more sensational accounts ("My god - what is that light!" kind of stuff) was totally made up, and the actual tapes reveal is that their basic map work was wrong, the commander was SURE he knew where he was, and they just kept turning further and further out to sea, where they just crashed when they ran out of fuel. The planes sent after them just stayed out too long, IIRC.

Is there anybody on board who is still convinced of the Bermuda Triangle? What is the compelling reported phenomenon besides statistics and the "lost squadron"?
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2597
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 09:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading a great book that kind of explained it for me, it said that a section of the sea round there (the Sargassian Sea?) has a large amount of seaweed type stuff in it (cant remember what the technical name for it is) that creates gas bubbles that lierally suck things into it.
Someone with a brain will likely know the clever stuff behind that ramble.. Very Happy
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8072
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ships and aircraft haven't stopped passing through the area of the 'Bermuda Traingle' at any point. The 'disappearances' tend to be greatly exaggerated too. Weather conditions are the most likely cause for most missing things in the area - altho' I remember seeing that documentary and it was an impressive theory. I've always thought that the infamous Flight 19 disappearance was down to navigational error by novice pilots, leading to the whole flight having to ditch due to lack of fuel far out to sea.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

McAvennie wrote:

I remember reading a great book that kind of explained it for me, it said that a section of the sea round there (the Sargassian Sea?) has a large amount of seaweed type stuff in it (cant remember what the technical name for it is) that creates gas bubbles that lierally suck things into it.
Someone with a brain will likely know the clever stuff behind that ramble.. Very Happy

The seaweed is Sargassum, funnily enough. What you have there is a muddle of various different theories.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. R.I.N.G. wrote:

Is there anybody on board who is still convinced of the Bermuda Triangle? What is the compelling reported phenomenon besides statistics and the "lost squadron"?

I like the story about the decommissioned battleship being towed through by two tugs. The standard milky fog came along and engulfed it. All night the weather was like that, but in the morning it had cleared up. Both tugs found their towlines parted and the battleship was gone. There are lots and lots of stories like that, but the sea in general is a weird place and they aren't all that localised. It's more like the Bermuda Splodge.
The similar area off of Japan is more interesting; it regularly gobbles up oil tankers and bulk freighters much larger than anything that's been lost off of Florida.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5725
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notion of the Bermuda Triangle was a massive popular success
and the term has even entered the language as a metaphore.

Unfortunately Berlitz's book has been blasted out of the water time
after time not for being inaccurate or careless but for being a great
steaming heap of lies. Some ships appear to have been made up
while others were wrecked thousands of miles away!

We are left with the fact that some stretches of water are hazardous
to shipping. Cor! roll eyes (sarcastic)
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2597
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Whitehead wrote:

Berlitz! I think thats the guy whose book I read.
Once again a childhood mystery turned out to be easily explainable. Damned scepticaemia setting in more so :'(
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Whitehead wrote:

Hmm, yes. He uses the phrase ' West of the Azores' a lot. That covers a whole lot of ocean.
Cult_of_ManaOffline
Get that
Total posts: 437
PostPosted: 21-04-2003 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long article here (see the second article on the page) discusses gas hydrates and how they could be implicated in the loss of sea-going ships and certain aircraft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: