Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Bermuda Triangle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9793
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find!
Old_ShoeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 77
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

My limited understanding of the green flash phenomenon is that it happens mostly in the tropical latitudes, and very rarely, at that. It happens at sunset as the rays from the sun cross the atmosphere at just the right angle with just the right conditions. The atmosphere acts like a prism and bends the light rays into a giant rainbow of colors. The colors are all briefly visible, but only the color green really stands out as much different than the ambient light conditions and that's what you see as the flash.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26609
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old_Shoe wrote:
My limited understanding of the green flash phenomenon is that it happens mostly in the tropical latitudes, and very rarely, at that. It happens at sunset as the rays from the sun cross the atmosphere at just the right angle with just the right conditions. The atmosphere acts like a prism and bends the light rays into a giant rainbow of colors. The colors are all briefly visible, but only the color green really stands out as much different than the ambient light conditions and that's what you see as the flash.

I thought of the Green Flash, but descriptions of the green flare are different:
Quote:
I've never seen one, myself. I've only heard descriptions and it's always simply a green flare in the distance that rises up and arcs back down again and disappears. It looks like a flare shot from a Very pistol.

It might well have been. Signals, perhaps in a secret military exercise, hence the insistence that "you ain't seen nothing, roight!" to the look-outs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: