Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Dreams that have come true
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13074
PostPosted: 21-10-2005 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobzilla12 wrote:
Agreed. Not only that, but there definitely wasn't any immediacy about the dream...I mean, what's the point of having the dream 13 or so yrs. before I meet this woman?

Maybe it's the significance of the woman in your life that made you remember it "backwards"? You certainly remember her "forwards". No other meaning than that.
Niall114Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 21-10-2005 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the whole post-facto thing about dream analysis is we make them fit the situation we later find ourselves in.

Now, I don't consider myself an arch-sceptic (in the Doctor Science mould of things) but I knew that I would colour the following true story in some way when I woke up from the dream.

I dreamt that my Uncle had driven over to see my family, but he had brought the Ghosts of his dead relatives (that's to say my Grandparents and his Brother) with him. They came in the house, sat around the table and we talked, just as if they hadn't been dead for years. When I woke up, I felt a couple of things:
1. happy, because I had seen the people I loved as a child again
2. mildly annoyed, with the knowledge that I would be gloomily trying to fit the dream into context with my life for the rest of the day. Even though I knew it was a dream.

The mildly Fortean bit came afterwards.. driving over to see my Uncle, we were shunted by a HGV and narrowly missed death in a car wreck.

But being the ghastly sceptic
1. we were driving to see my Uncle, NOT him coming to see us.
2. I don't remember any supernatural stuff in the crash, just applied physics and terror.

So, it's not precognitive, just "spooky"!

It's only the connection with a near death experience which makes the dream more "meaningful" than a dream about people I loved, and who I still miss.

I'd actually forgotten about the context of this until I read my old diary entries, I'd written a piece about the vivid dream when I woke up, and then, obviously, a piece about the road accident when I got home again from it. I had forgotten the dream in all the post accident shock, and if I hadn't have written it up, I wouldn't make this connection now.

Anyway, that's my input, take it how you will.
Niall114Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: 21-10-2005 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flying goat~ wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:
I've dreamed Formula One Grand Prixs before. Even down to wheels coming off, the results, and a specific driver in a specific car crashing.

Obvious question, but don't people bet, often quite heavily, on F1 results? If you ever feel like funding a Fortean Phenomena research institute, I'll come & work there yeay

I must admit I had a similar vivid dream, and for years I watched the races with a dread that Ralf Schumacher would die in a collision, as I had dreamt of a crash where "the brother of a famous driver died" and I went as far as sketching the nose of the car in my diary (for racing fans, it's the kind with the front wing on struts below a "high" nose, pioneered by Benetton a few years back).

I went cold when Ralf had that crash at Indianaplis the other year, even though the nose of the car was wrong.
nedwob2Offline
Grey
Total posts: 1
PostPosted: 24-10-2005 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several times when I've dreamt of the future. Sometimes it is about personal events that are of no import...just amusing.

Sometimes they are more vague and subject to interpretation.

My latest occurred in mid August. I had a dream that water was rising around my house. My friends and I had to climb to the roof to stay above the water. I remember in the dream looking down at my truck (actually a truck that I'd owned in the 1970s that I'd liked very much...it was later totalled in an accident)) going underwater. At about the time the rising water was reaching the roof of the truck, the water began to receed quickly. Someone pointed out that the water had "broken through" elsewhere and was flooding that area instead. I remember in the dream having the mixed emotions that I was glad we weren't getting flooded but guilty that others would suffer instead. The dream was "strong enough" that I mentioned it to my wife and a couple of friends.

A week later, I had these same feelings as I watched New Orleans as the levees broke and the city flooded. There they were on top of their roofs looking at their flooded cars while I wasn't.

Did I dream the future or not? If I hadn't alrerady in the past, I'd think not. The trouble comes in trying to decide which of the dreams I have are of the future and which are not.

If others of my dreams are of the future then I think we are in for a rough ride.

The
AbendsternOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 97
PostPosted: 26-10-2005 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry 2 back-track like this but HighandMighty mentioned 'snapshot' precog dreams- I get those all the time and never have any idea what they are about. My most recent was watching somebody who I had not yet met disappear up the stairs of a bar that I recognized. What really bothers me is that these dreams are so pointless and mundane but I also wonder just why we can remember them so clearly?

People often claim to remember details of past lives in dreams- could premonitions be the same thing, but forwards, and if so what does that tell us about the nature of human existence and of time itself - if we viewed it like a defective tape, where you can sometimes hear what's going on on the other side when it's been played many times. Possibly this means that we should all refresh our music collection!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 16-01-2009 15:10    Post subject: Dream came true this morning Reply with quote

Today I had a day off work so enjoyed a lie in. I woke up around 6am then drifted off back to sleep to have the following dream:
Something was pushed into the communal hallway I share with the flat next door via the letterbox from the outer door, the noise of the delivery attracted my attention. I opened my flat door and there was money on the floor that looked like a tidy pile of old fashioned £1 notes. As I looked down at the money someone or something in our very echo'y outer hall growled or yelled very loud making me jump. At this point I woke up with a start.

What really happened:

About 11am the postman arrived and popped some letters into the letterbox. This attracted my attention as I was sitting here at my PC at the time doing some file maintenance in preparation for a backup using Macrium Reflect backup software. I went out to check the mail mindful of the dream and hoping for a pile of money.
There was a few letters for my neighbour and 2 small identical letters and a copy of new scientist for me. No cash.

As I reached down to pick up the letters the postie who was walking down the stairwell sneezed. In such an echo'y stairwell this makes one hell of a booming noise and this made me jump.

The two identical letters I had were from National Savings & Investments. Each envelope contained a premium bond win of £50 = £100.00 in total.

Sounds like a predictive dream to me.
infinitysymbolOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 36
PostPosted: 24-02-2009 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story chriswsm!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 25-02-2009 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about it and come up with this possible explanation for the money.

I hold the max amount of premium bonds and therefore win something almost every month. There is a possibility that subconsciously I was expecting the arrival of money in some form around that time of the month. I had a similar cheque this month on the 19th.

As for the loud noise part . . . . dunno.
CHIPMUNK1974Offline
Grey
Total posts: 17
PostPosted: 26-02-2009 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I had a dream that I was leaving my house for work and I noticed that there was about 30 starfish stuck to my front door. As I tried to get out of the door they kept sticking to me like velcro and I couldn't leave the house.

Anyway, when I woke up I went through my usual routine and then came downstairs for breakfast. When I switched on the TV the picture that greeted me was a starfish!!

Not long after I had a dream that a girl I worked with was looking after my dog for me for the day. When I went to collect her, she told me that my dog had died. When I went into work the next day I was just about to tell her all about the dream when I noticed her looking a bit upset. She said her sister had just called to tell her the family dog had died. Shocked
rustysblanketOffline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 02-07-2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around the time Stoke City were managed by Joe Jordan I had a vivid dream that involved me watching a news report that Joe Jordan had been sacked. The next day I was so convinced it was real I was talking about it with my best mate . He then looks though the paper and can't find anything about it. I am confused but think nothing more of it. The very next day I was sat watching the news and there it was the very report ' live ' that Joe Jordan had been sacked. Looking back at it I think the dream was perhaps wishful thinking as Jordan was a nightmare for my beloved Stoke.
nothingtralalaOffline
Grey
Total posts: 1
PostPosted: 20-11-2009 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post here, but 'It happened to me' has long been my favourite section of the magazine and I have both the books!

Just thought I'd share something that happened to me some years back, and stayed with me ever since. I hope this won't be too boring!

It was either 2000 or 2001, and I was at collage and still living at my mum's house. I had a Saturday job at a bit retail chain, which I completely hated, but needed the money.

One morning I work up early one week day (maybe 7am-ish?) and (being a student) went back to sleep again. During that morning sleep, I had a very vivid dream: the phone rang and I picked it up, it was the voice of a woman that I didn't recognise, claiming to be from my work and asking if I could come into work at ten minutes past four that day to do some overtime. Even in my dream I thought it was odd- I didn't recogise the womans voice, even though I knew everyone who worked in the shop, and it sounded very distant and cold and it unnerved me. The main thing that struck me as odd was that she asking me to come in at such an odd time-4.10- I knew the shift patterns and none started or finished at that time. I hastily made an excuse and hung up.

I woke up straight after hanging up the phone in my dream so it was still very clear in my mind. As I sat up in bed the phone rang downstairs, I got out of bed and went down to answer it, and it was the same mysterious, distant-sounding woman's voice, asking me to come into work at ten minutes past four! I stuttered some excuse and hung up, I was completely freaked out! I knew something completely weird had just happened and it struck me that no-one would believe me, they would probably say I was dreaming both times, so I immediately picked up the phone and rang my best friend to tell her what happened. I think she probably thought i'd gone mad but fortunately she's still my best friend! I know 100% that I was asleep the first time and 100% I was awake the second.

You might think it was just a coincidence, but I was almost never asked to do overtime, only very occasionally a christmas or for late night shopping on a Thursday, and this was neither Christmas nor a Thursday. I never asked people at work who had called me, somehow I know they would deny that anyone had called me, and I was very shy and introveted back then and worried about what people thought of me. I don't care so much about what people think about me now, I really wish i'd asked! Smile
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13074
PostPosted: 20-11-2009 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't beat a good weird phone call story!
halfstepsunflowerOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 26-12-2009 00:39    Post subject: My 3 most recent dreams for December Reply with quote

Some one directed me to this thread and I am looking to not only share in the thread but also for help in understanding why this is happening. I am not religious nor do I have a grasp on what spirituality even is... any input would be appreciated.

Until recently I was reluctant to believe my experiences were anything but coincidence. Lately I have been unable to deny the similarities, though.

I have been having dreams that are uncanny in their accuracy about events that have occurred.

Here are my 3 most recent examples (all within this past month)

The first is probably the least bizarre. I had a dream that a friend of mine slipped on my icy front porch and bent his ankle underneath him, breaking it. The next day I found out that in the night at 4am (the night I had my dream) he slipped on ice and broke his ankle. The way he exampled his fall was, remarkably, exactly how I had dreamed it.

The second is a little more disturbing. I had a dream that two men broke into my house and entered my basement to steal a specific item. The item I don't want to explain in this forum, but it is not something just anyone would have in their home. I remember the two men's faces very vividly and I remember getting a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw them. I chased after them and wanted to hurt them, but they were gone before I could do anything. The dream woke me in the middle of the night and I couldn't get back to sleep. I had never met either of these men before. Two days later I met one of the men from my dream. I was terrified by this but he was a mutual friend of many of my friends. Without revealing that I had never met the man, I did explain to many people about my dream. Everyone I spoke to assured me he was the nicest person I could ever meet. I had that same sick feeling in my stomach every time I thought about speaking to him, but I never said a word to him about it. Anything I could think of saying I figured would just make me sound crazy. A few days later he was at another of his friend's house. Two men broke into the home in order to, coincidentally, steal the same item that was in my dream... which was located in their basement. They started beating a woman that was there, when the man from my dream got up to help her. One of the attackers shot the man and he was killed. I still have yet to meet the other man from my dream.

The third I am not sure was really even a dream. My boyfriend and I were on an icy country road when I felt a strong feeling of deja vu. I realized, somehow, that we were about to have an accident. I wasnt wearing my seatbelt but I first braced myself for the impact. As I was about to say something about my feeling, we hit patch of ice and slid into the woods, into a tree. For the next two hours until i fell asleep I couldn't shake the feeling of deja vu. Apparently, judging by the broken glass where my head impacted into the windshield, things could have been a lot worse... I'm not sure if bracing myself did anything to help save me but I do feel like it gave me extra warning time.
BeltaniaOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 59
PostPosted: 27-12-2009 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been many incidences where I've experienced actual Deja-vu, but have, for the thirty seconds or so that it lasted, been convinced that whatever had just happened in front of me had ocurred in a dream I'd had a few nights before. A few seconds later, my brain was able to remind me that there had been no such dream, and I had no feeling of recognition at all!
millomiteOffline
Dances with sheep
Total posts: 182
PostPosted: 30-12-2009 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a recurring dream during my 20s and 30s where I was climbing, with my wife, a steep path under a hot sun and eventually reached a small town with white buildings. What I always found unusual about this dream was that I was badly out of breath and walking a lot slower than normal (for someone who was reasonably fit). I then found myself doing exactly that in the Alpujarras region of Spain when I was in my 50s and nowhere near as fit as when I had the dreams. When I got to the town I remembered the dream and of course I was badly out of breath!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: