Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Medical mishaps and daffy doctors
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 05-12-2001 18:11    Post subject: Medical mishaps and daffy doctors Reply with quote

Foot long tool left inside patient

I wonder if this is some kind of record.
Very nasty.
_schnorOffline
Stand back boy!
Total posts: 990
PostPosted: 05-12-2001 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's *gotta* hurt Eek Eek
rynner
PostPosted: 05-12-2001 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Implement" might have been a better word than "Tool", methinks...

(You know what people are like here, give them an inch and... Oh! I can't believe I just said that!)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-01-2002 00:57    Post subject: Medical Mishaps? Reply with quote

Every once in a while, a medical mishap will hit the media - usually regarding a case with a tragic conclusion.

On a lighter note - 'though still obviously a serious matter if followed through - there are those cases in which an averted error has its funny side...

...such as the one I was witness to a while back, in which a man had the wrong knee partially marked out for surgery, before his protests had the error corrected. Goodness knows what he'd have made of it later had the marking been performed after local or general anaesthetic!

It put me to thinking whether anyone else has a personal anecdote of a medical mishap or near-miss they would care to share with us?
Medical staff often work long, thankless hours, so I can't believe that errors of this nature are uncommon (scary thought 'though it is). Over to you...
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-01-2002 01:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't say I've known this to happen personally but you constantly hear about it here in the States. Like the wrong leg is amputated, wrong kidney removed and such. One big medical boo-boo that happened to a celebrity named David Spade from Saturday Night Live had heart surgery on some valves I believe and the Doctors 'fixed' the wrong valves so he had to go through it all again..........crack his chest back open, etc. etc.......
rynner
PostPosted: 20-01-2002 08:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a boy I cracked a bone in my wrist playing football (I was goalie). There was another boy in the X-ray department with a broken bone in his arm. After treatment, I had a plaster cast on up to my shoulder, while the other boy only had plaster on his forearm.

I often wonder whether the hospital mixed us up.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-01-2002 09:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad died because of a medical blunder.Sad
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 20-01-2002 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once in hospital after an accident. Late at night a medical-looking bloke came in the room and woke me up to have a drip put in. I refused, saying I hadn't been told I was having any such thing and it was a mistake. He thought I'd just chickened out and argued very politely with me about it. Suddenly he seemed to realise he had the wrong person, stammered a bit and left in a hurry. Wonder what I'd have had? And how bad the consequences for the person who did need the drip.........?

I worked on a ward with lots of throat cancer cases who had tracheostomies (i.e. the cancer & a bit more cut out of their throats.) One day I naughtily eavesdropped on a group of surgeons, one of whom was openly admitting that she'd been excising too little surrounding flesh, and consequently all her throaty patients had suffered relapses and died. So she'd decided to change her operating procedure somewhat...brrr.
TheBeast17Offline
Acutely Obtuse
Total posts: 248
PostPosted: 21-01-2002 08:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

A husband of a friend of mine has a medical condition whereby all his organs are on the opposite side to normal, can't remember the name mind you, i'll look it up.

Anyway he had a major pain in his side, and the doctors decided that it was gall stones and he eventually went in for surgery, without having had an x-ray!!

They opened his up, and were naturally surprised that they couldn't find his gall bladder. So they sewed him back up and guess what they did?

Yep, they opened him up the otherside and removed his gall bladder, because that was what they were supposed to do.

So he now has two scars, one on each side of his body, and he still has the pain in his side because the side with the pain in it is the one they opened first. So the pain obviously wasn't his gallbladder.

Incidently he's had tests since this cock-up, and the doctors have decided that, in their medical opinion, they don't know the cause of his pain.confused
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-01-2002 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 60's a work friend of my Mum's .. (who was a nurse and has since retired ) booked her toddler son into have a circumcision done, and left him in the ('not so' it turned out) capable hands of the hospital staff ... After the operation, when she was allowed to see him, the sister in charge of the ward told her that he would need to be fed lots of ice cream in the coming week to help him recover from the procedure. When the mother replied something like...'' I had no idea you had to do that when someone is circumcised....' they all realised that the poor little chap had, had his tonsils taken out by mistake instead !! At that I think the mother decided that enough was enough and dhe gave up on the idea all together - sounds like the little chap had a lucky escape to me !!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-01-2002 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar happened to a friend of mine at Bronglais hospital in Aberystwyth; after spending a long, hot day out cycling my friend drank a ridiculous amount of water but didn't eat, and developed a pain in his abdomen from over-hydration and a lack of salt. He went to the hospital and the doctors decided he had appendicitis and wanted to operate on him! Thankfully he sneaked out of the ward while the nurses were busy and recovered at home without having had the op, but it does go to show that some doctors are a little too keen to whip out the scalpel.
Mind you, they do a wonderful job 99% of the time, so I've no real complaints!
rossba1Offline
Wicker Man
Total posts: 228
PostPosted: 21-01-2002 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast- the condition is known as Kartageners syndrome. I was studying it a few weeks ago. Very interesing. Current thought is that the reversal of organs (which only happens in 50% of people with the syndrome) is due to the lack of properly functional cilia. In particular a type of moleular motor called a Dynamin. It's entirely possible to have the defective gene and not realise it because only 50% have this swapped over effect. What happens is that during development the polarity of the body is left to chance (50:50) rather than being strictly ordered.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-01-2002 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the name of the syndrome in which muscles, when damaged, are converted into bone?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 21-01-2002 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Beast's mate isn't a Timelord then?
rossba1Offline
Wicker Man
Total posts: 228
PostPosted: 21-01-2002 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ankylosing spondylitis? Or is that just bones fusing together?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: