Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Medical mishaps and daffy doctors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KellydandodiOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 136
PostPosted: 22-06-2012 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live and work in Lanark and Carluke in the west of Scotland and one Creationist doctor in the vicinity must surely have at least five misconduct or malpractice suits in utero. He - and anyone who lives and or works in the vicinity must surely know him - has invoked the bible or foregone prescription in lieu of prayer in five cases I know of, two involving child patients.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26262
PostPosted: 06-09-2012 07:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother 'brainwashed' over home birth dies
A woman bled to death after being “brainwashed” to give birth at home by a midwife who assured her it would be safe, an inquest heard on Wednesday.
By Stephen Adams, Medical Correspondent
6:39PM BST 05 Sep 2012

Claire Teague, 29, died of a haemorrhage after Rosie Kacary, an independent midwife, “ripped” out her placenta, the hearing was told.
Mrs Teague, of Woodley, near Reading, had originally hired Ms Kacary to ensure she had dedicated support during a hospital birth at Basingstoke Hospital.
That was because her first pregnancy had nearly ended in tragedy. She almost lost one of the twins she was carrying and the situation was only saved by an emergency caesarean.

Despite her medical history, Kacary convinced her new client that a home birth would be more fulfilling, Windsor Coroner's Court was told.
Mrs Teague’s husband Simon, told the inquest that Ms Kacary had "brainwashed" his wife into the home birth, by reassuring her it was completely safe.

Following the delivery, in the early hours of August 1 2010, Ms Kacary tried to deliver the placenta, a standard midwife’s task.
But Mr Teague said he was unhappy at the way the removal was performed, telling the inquest that he watched it being “ripped out” of his wife in an “aggressive manner”.
He said: “I was anxious when Rosie started to pull the placenta out. She pulled the cord six or seven times in an aggressive manner.
"Eventually the placenta came out with a lot of force and tugging."

Examining Mrs Teague to see if all the placenta had come out, the midwife told the couple that although there were bits of membrane still inside, they would come out naturally. The midwife then left.
However, she had done the examination by torchlight, as the curtains were closed and the room was dark, Mr Teague claimed.

Soon, the new mother began feeling weak and complaining she was in pain, so her husband rang the midwife. Ms Kacary said it was normal following birth, but Mr Teague kept ringing due to his building concern and eventually she returned.
By then though Mrs Teague had stopped breathing.

On the way to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading she started bleeding extensively. Surgeons tried to stop the bleeding but she died later that day. Doctors found a third of her placenta was still inside her.

Dr Helen Allott, a consultant gynaecologist, expressed disbelief Mrs Teague had not been taken to hospital earlier.
"In my opinion had the placenta been examined in good light in a conventional manner it would have been apparent that a large piece was missing," she said.
"I have looked at thousands of placentas and this placenta, I must say, I was quite shocked.
"I was very clear in my mind that a very large piece was missing."

Dr Allott said a placenta should never be "tugged", adding: "Simon recalls vigorous tugging on the cord six or seven times.
"That's not the correct way to deliver the placenta."

Asked to comment on Mrs Teague's decision to have her baby at home despite her history of blood loss during her previous labour, Dr Allott said it was a high risk.
She added: "If you've had a previous blood loss you have an increased risk of a haemorrhage happening again.
"If I was the person advising the mother, I would want to know that I was advising her of all the risks."

However, Ms Kacary rejected Mr Teague’s account of events, saying his description of the placenta removal was “quite horrific”.
“If I had pulled anything like that hard I think it would have snapped the cord which is quite easy to do,” she said.
She believed the placenta had been complete and said, if she thought otherwise, she would have advised an immediate hospital transfer.
But she said: “As Claire felt completely well at the time, I'm very sure they would have declined my suggestion to transfer.”

The midwife, who has overseen 96 home births, also took issue with Mr Teague’s assertion that the room was dark.
“"I find it extraordinary that after 20 years of being an experienced midwife I turned into a complete idiot and looked at the placenta in the dark with a torch," she said.

She denied trying to persuade the couple to have a home birth but added: “Claire had a great pregnancy, she had a really lovely spontaneous birth at home and I hope Simon in time will remember that.”

A post mortem found that Mrs Teague died due to a lack of oxygen caused by the severe haemorrhage due to a recent vaginal birth with a retained placenta.
The inquest continues.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9523610/Mother-brainwashed-over-home-birth-dies.html
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 488
PostPosted: 06-09-2012 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Claire had a great pregnancy, she had a really lovely spontaneous birth at home and I hope Simon in time will remember that.”

Shocked
KellydandodiOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 136
PostPosted: 13-09-2012 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergeant_Pluck wrote:
Quote:
Claire had a great pregnancy, she had a really lovely spontaneous birth at home and I hope Simon in time will remember that.”

Shocked

The self delusion among any attaining or assuming a professional rank can be astounding in narcissistic doctors, nurses or teachers (or any Narcissist working anywhere?) - but those practising freelance, outside of institutions are probably more susceptible to 'Rasputin Complex' than most.
This is often the case if you compare motivational speakers to their counterparts in medicine or education - to truly convince others that every deed and thought you weave is made of gold, one has to convince oneself.

The "independent midwife" is perhaps more doomed for remaining utterly deluded about what transpired and publicly demonstrating a blithe insensitivity to the bereaved partner - if she'd admitted mistakes her punishment, if any, might be less severe.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9700
PostPosted: 13-09-2012 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellydandodi wrote:
The "independent midwife" is perhaps more doomed for remaining utterly deluded about what transpired...

Yeah, I should think she is now a former "independent midwife".
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21528
PostPosted: 17-11-2012 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Barnsley Hospital patient discharged with drip tube in arm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-20376305

Related Stories

Fork removed from man's stomach
Disruption to patients 'limited'
Hospital to pay for Jubilee TV

A hospital in Barnsley has apologised after a woman with dementia was sent home with a cannula tube for a drip still inserted in her arm.

Lily Winfield, 77, was admitted to Barnsley Hospital on 7 November after suffering a mini-stroke.

It has been reported that when she was sent home in an ambulance last Saturday, she was barefoot and wearing only an open-backed NHS night gown.

The hospital said it was investigating what had happened.

'Absolutely unacceptable'
Chief nurse Heather McNair said: "We are very sorry for Mrs Winfield's experience and after speaking with her daughter earlier this week, are already under way with a thorough investigation.

"We expect all our patients to receive the highest standards of dignity, care and treatment and any experience that falls short is taken very seriously and I have asked for this matter to be dealt with urgently."

Mrs Winfield, who also has diabetes, was admitted to ward 20 after suffering a transient ischaemic attack (TIA), known as a mini-stroke.

After she arrived home, the hospital's rapid response team had to be sent to remove the cannula tube from her arm.

Elaine Jessers, a director at Barnsley Hospital, said the situation was "absolutely unacceptable".

"This is not a standard of care that we aspire to and it's certainly not a standard of care that our patients deserve."
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 23-11-2012 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cambridge Hospitals NHS Trust 'operated on wrong patient'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-20461048

A health watchdog is taking action against a Cambridgeshire hospital trust which performed eye surgery on the wrong person.

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust performed four botched operations, including leaving instruments inside two people.

Surgeons also operated on the wrong part of the body of a patient, Monitor said.

The trust said it was "determined to improve".

It has been ordered to look at the effectiveness of its services and improve the quality and organisation of healthcare for its patients.

The trust also has to report to Monitor every month.

The regulator said that since September 2011, eight "never events" - instances which are never supposed to happen - had happened at the trust, including four between September and October last year.

Wrong lens
Monitor said that the "wrong person surgery" related to a patient who had the wrong surgical lens fitted.

Several patients were attending the hospital for similar operations at the same time, a trust spokeswoman said.

The wrong lens was fitted to the wrong patient and then quickly removed.

The patient did not suffer any ill effects, the spokeswoman said.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

This is not the first time we have called the trust in to explain itself”

Stephen Hay
Monitor
Monitor said it was also stepping in because the trust had failed to give cancer patients treatment in the recommended time and had not treated emergency patients within four hours.

It said the trust was in "significant breach" of the terms of its authorisation and was concerned that the hospital board had not dealt adequately with the range of issues the trust had faced over the years.

Monitor's chief operating officer, Stephen Hay, said: "This is not the first time we have called the trust in to explain itself.

"We are disappointed that the board has not resolved these issues."

Jane Ramsey, who became chair of the trust at the beginning of the month, said: "We are determined to reverse the situation as soon as possible.

"We will be focusing on turning this trust around.

"Our priority remains the care of our patients - they are at the heart of everything we do."

The trust, which runs Addenbrooke's and the Rosie hospital in Cambridge, has been ordered to commission a "governance and effectiveness review".

A board-level "experienced turnaround expert" should also be appointed, Monitor recommended.

Monitor is an independent regulator of NHS hospital trusts, ensuring they have good leadership and are financially robust.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26262
PostPosted: 18-12-2012 07:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cystic fibrosis woman died with smoker's donor lungs

A 27-year-old woman with cystic fibrosis died of cancer after she was given the donor lungs of a smoker.
Jennifer Wederell, of Hawkwell, Essex, died at home in August - 16 months after the transplant at Harefield Hospital in London.
Colin Grannell said he believes his daughter would not have agreed to the transplant had she known the middle-aged donor was a heavy smoker.
The hospital has apologised for not giving her that choice.

Jennifer had been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at the age of two and by her mid-20s was using oxygen 24 hours a day.
She had been on the waiting list for a lung transplant for 18 months when in April 2011, she was told there had been a match.
Mr Grannell said the family had "lived all for that moment" for years, and thought it would help Jennifer "cheat" her condition.

She married her fiance David Wederell in September last year, but by February 2012 a malignant mass was found in her lungs.
"The shock immediately turned to anger in so far as all the risks were explained in the hour before her transplant and not once was the fact smoker's lungs would be used mentioned," said Mr Grannell.
"She was dying a death that was meant for someone else."
He has set up a Facebook group, Jennifer's Choice, to encourage non-smokers to sign up to the organ donor register.

The Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust said: "It is very rare for patients to specify that they do not wish to be considered for clinically healthy lungs from smokers.
"This is because the risks are much higher if patients decline donor lungs from a former smoker, and decide to wait for another set of organs which are both a match for them and from a non-smoker, to become available.
"However, we recognise that Jennifer should have been given the opportunity to make this choice.
"We have apologised sincerely for this oversight.

"Regrettably, the number of lungs available for transplantation would fall by 40% if there was a policy of refusing those which have come from a smoker; waiting lists would increase and many more patients would die without a transplant."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20762437
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 11-01-2013 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

With hindsight this was a staggeringly bad idea doe their hart was in the right place.

Quote:
Review after reindeer visit to Yorkhill Sick Children's Hospital
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-20982476

The reindeer was at hospital for a charity event held before Christmas

A review has been carried out after a reindeer was taken round some wards at Glasgow's Sick Children's Hospital.

The tame fawn, which had been checked by a vet, was outside the hospital before Christmas for a charity event.

But a member of staff decided to take the animal inside to allow more young patients to see and pet it.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said the incident was "well intentioned" but happened without the permission or knowledge of managers or senior staff.

Michelle Petersen's daughter was in the hospital at the time.

'Well controlled'
She told the BBC: "My daughter is two and a half and has had two bone marrow transplants, she is immunosuppressed so she couldn't touch the reindeer herself but she could still look at it.

"It was magical for her. She's missed out on so much being in hospital, especially over Christmas.

"It was walked up the middle of the ward so parents had a choice. It was very well controlled.

She added: "These kids have spent so much time in isolation.

"My daughter wanted to see Santa but couldn't because of the risk of infection so this was great for her and great for the other kids."

Internal review
Yorkhill Children's Foundation, which organised the event said in a statement the event "was planned for only the grounds of Yorkhill Hospital and surrounding streets as part of its Christmas Appeal activities".

It added: "However, an NHS staff member decided to take the fawn on an unscheduled visit round some of the wards in the hospital so children could see the baby reindeer. This was not part of our event."

The health board said it had conducted an internal review into the incident.

In a statement, it added: "At no time did the fawn urinate on a child and appropriate infection control procedures were taken with those children who petted the animal.

"The reindeer fawn did not go into any isolation cubicles or have contact with any patient in isolation."
RonnorOnline
Great Old One
Total posts: 123
PostPosted: 11-01-2013 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a statement, it added: "At no time did the fawn urinate on a child.."

What an oddly specific thing to deny. Especially since there is no such allegation in the BBC article...
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9700
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 02:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the biggest risk for an animal like that would be potential transmission of ticks to patients.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
I'd say the biggest risk for an animal like that would be potential transmission of ticks to patients.

I'll tock to the nurses about that.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 25-04-2013 01:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nevada psych hospital accused of sending patients on one-way trips to nowhere
http://rt.com/usa/nevada-psych-hospital-trips-to-nowhere-295/

Evidence that a Nevada mental institution is illegally dumping patients into neighboring California and elsewhere has led San Francisco’s city attorney to open an investigation into the disturbing allegations.

The reports, which are part of a Sacramento Bee investigative series, indicate that 1,500 patients were discharged by the Rawson Neal Psychiatric Hospital in Las Vegas since 2008 with one-way bus tickets to out-of-state locations, with one third sent packing to California. However, other evidence indicates that the hospital sent at least one person to every state in the contiguous United States between July 2008 and early March 2013.

According to the Bee’s investigation, in one example the Las Vegas hospital discharged James Flavy Coy Brown, a 48-year-old suffering from schizophrenia, depression and anxiety, with a one-way Greyhound Bus ticket for a 15-hour ride to Sacramento, California, providing him with three days’ worth of medication.

According to Brown, a doctor at Rawson Neal suggested a trip to “sunny California" as the state offers superior health care. The Sacramento Bee reports that Brown eventually turned up both suicidal and in a confused mental state at a homeless services center in Sacramento – where he knew no one, and had no conceivable arrangements for housing or treatment.

An empty Greyhound bus pulls into the Greyhound Bus Terminal. (AFP Photo / Jeff Kowalsky)

According to San Francisco city attorney Dennis Herrera, the evidence uncovered by the newspaper's investigation is beyond disturbing.

“Assuming the reports are true, Nevada's practice of psychiatric 'patient dumping' is shockingly inhumane and illegal," Herrera said via a statement.

Herrera opened a formal investigation on Monday, and dispatched a letter to Nevada’s director of Health and Human Services, demanding that the state disclose records regarding its practice of discharging patients to cities across the country.

That letter includes further evidence provided by the Sacramento Bee, such as patients sent to dozens of US states. Copies of the letter were also sent to Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval and the state’s Attorney General, Catherine Cortez Masto.

According to the Bee’s extensive investigation on the alleged patient dumping, between 2009 and 2012 the state of Nevada slashed its mental health budget to address deficits. In that same period, the number of patients sent on one-way trips from the Rawson Neal mental hospital ballooned by 66 per cent. By 2012, the facility was bussing patients at a pace of more than one per day, sending 400 of them to 45 US states.

In response to Herrera’s official inquiry, Nevada’s director of health and human services, Mike Willden, responded via email that his department was presently reviewing the 1,500-some discharges which involved suspected interstate dumping. Willden suggested that a “documentation error" was behind hospital staff’s failure to properly document discharge and out-of-state travel for patients.

If the allegations are found to be true, the Las Vegas mental hospital could lose its Medicare funding, as it would be in violation of federal laws requiring such facilities to treat their patients until their conditions are stabilized, and with proper arrangements for continuing care beyond discharge.
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1815
PostPosted: 25-04-2013 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just when you think you've heard everything.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1894
PostPosted: 25-04-2013 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sadly that's a new one on me too. Sad

I imagine it's good for their performance indicators.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: