Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Paralasis/Alice In Wonderland/Moving Pictures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous
PostPosted: 27-01-2005 18:24    Post subject: Paralasis/Alice In Wonderland/Moving Pictures Reply with quote

Here's my story. It starts from when I was a child more than 20 years ago.

First off, when I was about 8 my mother had a picture of an American Indian that hung on the wall in the hallway outside of my bedroom. The picture was made with beads and feathers and such. The Indian in the picture had 3 feathers on his head and 4 in his hand which was down at his side. One night I left my bedroom to go to the bathroom, I stopped and stared at the picture on my way. I noticed that one of the feathers in the Indian's hand was shaking a little bit, like a leaf would do in a slight breeze. Then I saw it "float" from his hand to his headband. From that day on there were 4 feathers on his head and 3 in his hand. My mother said that she never noticed how many there were in each place.

When I was younger than that, I slept in a different bedroom on a different floor of the house. Outside of that room was a shelf with a number of paper mache farm animals on it. Pigs, cows, goats, etc. I slept with my door open, and I could see that shelf from my bed. I distinctly remember seeing the cow turn it head towards me one night and speak to me. I slept with my door closed after that, and my mother got rid of the animals and the shelf soon after.

For as long as I could remember, I've had problems falling asleep. One thing I remember from my childhood was when I was up very late, I'd get into this odd state when noises were amplified and everything seemed very large, even though I could plainly see that it wasn't. Is this the "Alice In Wonderland Syndrome"? The reason I'm bringing this up is because it just happened to me again the other night. I was laying in bed for about 2 hours, my wife was asleep next to me, and I couldn't fall asleep. All of the sudden I felt like my body was vibrating... Well, maybe not. It felt like my entire body, front, back and sides, was being quickly massaged. And I felt very warm. Then I got that "everything seems huge" feeling again. When I was a child I tried to get rid of that feeling as fast as I could, but this time I tried to ride it out and see what would happen. My mouth felt like it was 50 feet away from my brain, I could feel each indvidual tooth in my mouth, but they didn't feel like my own - meaning that I could feel that they were there with the inside of my cheeks and my tounge, but there was no feeling from the teeth themselves. My feet felt like they were in another state. Each time I opened my eyes I felt a sense of vertigo, so I'd close them again. It'd take a second or two to adjust back to the feelings I was having, but each time I could go right back. I tried moving my fingers, I felt like they would move long after my brain asked them to - like I was thinking at supersonic speed and my body was reacting in slow motion. After about 15 minutes I got tired of this and finally fell asleep.

The last thing that's happened to me for a long time is sleep paralasis. I'd wake up, usually in a strange position, and find that I can't move. I try to move to adjust my body but it doesn't respond. I can open my eyes and look around, but I can't make any noise to move at all. After a few minutes I'm able to move - usually just rolling over from my side to my back or something - but it takes a huge amount of effort and it's painful to do. The last time this happened to me, I woke up, found that I couldn't move, and opened my eyes. I saw my dog sitting at the side of the bed looking at me with a cocked head. With great effort I grunted at her, she started whimpered and licked my arm, which seemed to free me from the paralasis.
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
Total posts: 695
PostPosted: 28-01-2005 00:36    Post subject: Re: Paralasis/Alice In Wonderland/Moving Pictures Reply with quote

Sargent D wrote:
The last time this happened to me, I woke up, found that I couldn't move, and opened my eyes. I saw my dog sitting at the side of the bed looking at me with a cocked head. With great effort I grunted at her, she started whimpered and licked my arm, which seemed to free me from the paralasis.

Maybe the dog sensed you were uncomfortable in your situation and came to give you comfort, and when you subconsciously knew there was nothing there to harm you your body freed itself from the paralysis.

Just a thought.
Philo_TOffline
But, this one goes to 11!
Total posts: 1344
PostPosted: 28-01-2005 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sargent D wrote:

For as long as I could remember, I've had problems falling asleep. One thing I remember from my childhood was when I was up very late, I'd get into this odd state when noises were amplified and everything seemed very large, even though I could plainly see that it wasn't. Is this the "Alice In Wonderland Syndrome"? The reason I'm bringing this up is because it just happened to me again the other night. I was laying in bed for about 2 hours, my wife was asleep next to me, and I couldn't fall asleep. All of the sudden I felt like my body was vibrating... Well, maybe not. It felt like my entire body, front, back and sides, was being quickly massaged. And I felt very warm. Then I got that "everything seems huge" feeling again. When I was a child I tried to get rid of that feeling as fast as I could, but this time I tried to ride it out and see what would happen. My mouth felt like it was 50 feet away from my brain, I could feel each indvidual tooth in my mouth, but they didn't feel like my own - meaning that I could feel that they were there with the inside of my cheeks and my tounge, but there was no feeling from the teeth themselves. My feet felt like they were in another state. Each time I opened my eyes I felt a sense of vertigo, so I'd close them again. It'd take a second or two to adjust back to the feelings I was having, but each time I could go right back. I tried moving my fingers, I felt like they would move long after my brain asked them to - like I was thinking at supersonic speed and my body was reacting in slow motion. After about 15 minutes I got tired of this and finally fell asleep.

Sorry to be so vague, but I seem to recall that there used to be a thread titled something like "strange perception regarding big and small" that might be somwhat related to this. But that was before the FTMB moved to the new server, and I can't seem to shake out that thread using the search fucntion.
Pshaw13Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 110
PostPosted: 28-01-2005 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sargent D!

I am so glad I read your post. I too had the "things being too big" experience as a small child when trying to fall asleep. Standing in the doorway I would see a petite little girl in an old fashioned dress holding a gigantic 6 foot long sewing needle in her arms. Her face always bothered me because it showed no emotion. I would also see 3 laughing faces which would blow up to enormous size filling the room and laughing cruelly down at me. These visions were accompanied by the feeling of suffocation and the sense that my head and my feet were on the same level and my vision seemed to extend forward into infinity. I am glad to learn someone else felt similar things.

I also had a terrible fear of the dark and dreaded bedtime.

I remember one time as I was getting ready for bed my collection of wind up toys all started running at the same time. I screamed bloody murder. Just as my mother came dashing into the room they all stopped at the same time. She caught just enough of a glimpse of them to believe me. She used a coat hanger to brush them off of the shelves into a box as she was to scared to touch them.

Isn't life strange?
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
Total posts: 695
PostPosted: 28-01-2005 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pshaw wrote:

I remember one time as I was getting ready for bed my collection of wind up toys all started running at the same time. I screamed bloody murder. Just as my mother came dashing into the room they all stopped at the same time. She caught just enough of a glimpse of them to believe me. She used a coat hanger to brush them off of the shelves into a box as she was to scared to touch them.

Isn't life strange?

And you carried on sleeping in that room??!!

Braver than me Shocked
Anonymous
PostPosted: 29-03-2005 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pshaw wrote:
Hey Sargent D!

I am so glad I read your post. I too had the "things being too big" experience as a small child when trying to fall asleep. Standing in the doorway I would see a petite little girl in an old fashioned dress holding a gigantic 6 foot long sewing needle in her arms. Her face always bothered me because it showed no emotion. I would also see 3 laughing faces which would blow up to enormous size filling the room and laughing cruelly down at me. These visions were accompanied by the feeling of suffocation and the sense that my head and my feet were on the same level and my vision seemed to extend forward into infinity. I am glad to learn someone else felt similar things.

Hmmm... No, that's not really what I meant.

I felt like I was normal sized, but everything in the room, although it looked normal size, felt like they were too big. That's not really what I mean... It's kind of hard to explain. I don't mean that I touched things and they felt too big, it's more like I'd be sitting on the bed, and the dresser next to the bed, although it looked to be the right size gave an impression that it was much larger than it actually was. I "felt" it's presense in the room, I suppose. If you're standing next to something that's really tall, you get an impression of it up over your head without actually looking at it, right? That's the kind of feeling I got from everything in the room.

Sorry, I know that doesn't make much sense, but I don't know how else to describe it.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 29-03-2005 20:02    Post subject: Re: Paralasis/Alice In Wonderland/Moving Pictures Reply with quote

Sargent D wrote:
The last thing that's happened to me for a long time is sleep paralasis. I'd wake up, usually in a strange position, and find that I can't move. I try to move to adjust my body but it doesn't respond. I can open my eyes and look around, but I can't make any noise to move at all. After a few minutes I'm able to move - usually just rolling over from my side to my back or something - but it takes a huge amount of effort and it's painful to do.

This happened to me again the other night. This time, however, I was able to make some noise. I was laying very close to my wife, and the noise I made woke her up. She looked at me and freaked out, started screaming and jumped up out of the bed and flipped on the light. I tried to move, to talk, to ask her to calm down and stop screaming, but was unable to do so. A split second after she put the light on, I felt like I was "pulled down" - I had the feeling of somebody grabbing me with both hands, as if I was floating up above them, and yanking as hard as they could. I felt my body jump, then I fell fast asleep again. The next thing I knew my wife was shaking me, trying to wake me up. I woke up, was not paralyzed at all. She told me that my eyes were wide open, but white - she couldn't see the pupils at all. She said I had a horrified look on my face, I was pale and moaning. She thought that I was having a heart attack or something similar.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 01-04-2005 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you have ever read books by Sylvia Browne, but I am reading one of her latest. In it, she talks about sleep paralysis and what is actually happening. She calls it astral catalepsy.

She says our "spirit" actually leaves our body a few times a week while we sleep. We dont know it usually. She writes that our spirits may travel anywhere at that time and that it nourishes our souls and proves that our spirit functions whether it is with our body or apart from it.

The feeling people describe as sleep paralysis is when our mind becomes concious enough during sleep so that it can detect the spirit coming or going, and it makes us panic. Thus, we jump to the wrong conclusion that demons are at fault, or aliens, or a ghost or mean spirit, etc.

Sometimes people hear loud noises during this....she says that is the spirit crossing from one dimension into another and is equivalent to a sonic boom.

Such an interesting book....it is called Visits From the Afterlife. ( Sylvia Browne)
tonyblair11Offline
Total posts: 2146
PostPosted: 01-04-2005 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet she got the sonic boom part from the numerous accounts of people hearing a popping noise or a loud bang during paralysis and or various sleep states. My opinion is that she is a hack, but she might have some intuition.
Dib_MembraneOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 37
PostPosted: 01-04-2005 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sargent D

I've had that 'everything's too big' feeling two or three times when I was a child; always when I had a high fever.

Dib
tonyblair11Offline
Total posts: 2146
PostPosted: 01-04-2005 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would happen to me too as a kid, Sarge. It usually happened when I was watching tv and go into a trancelike state. As I got older I figured out it was a precurser to out of body experiences. So if it happens again, play with it and you might be surprised what happens.
forteanajones
PostPosted: 01-04-2005 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philo T wrote:
Sorry to be so vague, but I seem to recall that there used to be a thread titled something like "strange perception regarding big and small" that might be somwhat related to this. But that was before the FTMB moved to the new server, and I can't seem to shake out that thread using the search fucntion.

When I was a child, I had regular dreams which featured this sort of size perception weirdness. Just as others have described here, objects would "feel" much, much bigger than they appeared.

(edited late for clarity)

Last edited by forteanajones on 04-07-2005 06:57; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-04-2005 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sargent D

I got something similar to that when I woke up in my girlfriend bed one time. I wish my girlfriend was there to see it though because she might have seen my eyes and face. I wonder if they were like yours. Anyway I wasn't completely paralysed. I could move my feet. And when I fianally came free everything went back to normal again.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 21-04-2005 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sargent D

I got something similar to that when I woke up in my girlfriend bed one time. I wish my girlfriend was there to see it though because she might have seen my eyes and face. I wonder if they were like yours. Anyway I wasn't completely paralysed. I could move my feet. And when I fianally came free everything went back to normal again.
lardfanOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 83
PostPosted: 21-04-2005 14:50    Post subject: Re: Paralasis/Alice In Wonderland/Moving Pictures Reply with quote

Sargent D wrote:
She told me that my eyes were wide open, but white - she couldn't see the pupils at all. She said I had a horrified look on my face, I was pale and moaning. She thought that I was having a heart attack or something similar.

Terrifying! Shocked

I've had the paralysis thing a couple of times, complete with the pressing on chest feeling and fear, but nothing as severe as you. It's horrible, I really sympathise.

I used to have something similar to the big/small thing too when I was little - a feeling of sort of infinite space beneath me and around me while I was trying to go to sleep, and a sense of disorientation that at the time I could only associate with dizziness, and used to think of as my "being in a cement mixer" feeling. Very occasionally I still get it. Very very occasionally I get the feeling in the daytime, from looking at something very messy or confusing - once from looking at some heavy undergrowth in forest. I don't like it, it's kind of uncomfortable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: