Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Strange Deaths II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnolaGaiaOnline
Total posts: 1615
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo at:

http://neurophilicnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/elevatorbuttons.jpg

... allegedly shows the elevator control panel Elisa was using.

She was not wearing her eyeglasses at the time.

A number of commenters out on the 'Net have claimed she pushed the Door Hold button (bottom-most button; center row) when pushing multiple others located above.

I can't convince myself one way or the other with respect to her first go at the buttons (early in the video). Her body obscures the control panel.

However, the second time she (re-)enters the elevator and pushes buttons more demonstratively, it appears to me she might well have pushed the Door Hold button on the very bottom row.

IF so - Elisa herself would have been the cause for the elevator door failing to close as expected.
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2267
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and unusual story.
I too fail to see how we can be so sure that this happened just moments before her death given that it is not known exactly when she died.

My two penn'orth - my folks came to visit us recently and stayed nearby in a newly opened hotel. It was one of the large chains, I don't recall which. To get to the reception you needed to take lift from the street entrance to the first floor. We called a lift to go back to the ground floor and when we got in there was a maintenance chap in there. He pressed the lift buttons in a certain order and we heard the sound you hear when ringing someone. The call was answered with a hello. The maintenance chap then said something along the lines of 'Hello Bob, it's Jim, can you get Fred?' At which point we got out of the lift.
It was clear to me that this guy was using the lift's emergency phone to call back to the office for some reason or other.
Could something like this be happening here?
The lift clearly has some kind of fault, could it have called through to the emergency number causing there to be a disembodied voice which would clearly disturb someone who was of a fragile state of mind?
EnolaGaiaOnline
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting theory ... The alleged photos of the elevator's control panel don't include any designated 'Call' button among the ones she is seen to push in the video. I've never heard of 'dialing' an elevator intercom / phone using the floor selector buttons, but I suppose it's possible if the unit has been switched into some sort of test or maintenance mode.
EnolaGaiaOnline
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinabin1 wrote:
... I too fail to see how we can be so sure that this happened just moments before her death given that it is not known exactly when she died. ...

I can't even tell when the elevator video was captured. I've not seen any video clip in which I can actually read the time stamp / counter.

After rummaging through news releases posted back when the video was first mentioned, I can find claims it was recorded on 31 January - the last day she made her theretofore daily call to her parents. In some of the earliest news stories it's claimed she was thought to have gone missing on 31 January _or_ 1 February. I've never seen any indication for why they thought it might have been a day later (or why 1 February was the latest time she could have gone MIA).

She was scheduled to check out of the hotel, but it's unclear when the hotel staff expected her to leave.
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2267
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnolaGaia wrote:
Interesting theory ... The alleged photos of the elevator's control panel don't include any designated 'Call' button among the ones she is seen to push in the video. I've never heard of 'dialing' an elevator intercom / phone using the floor selector buttons, but I suppose it's possible if the unit has been switched into some sort of test or maintenance mode.

As I said this was a spanking new hotel, and therefore equally new lift. I don't recall what stuff the guy had with him, but I can assure you that he made what sounded like a regular telephone call through the lift control panel. I would assume that it was switched to a maintenance mode or some such though.
My folks will be staying in that hotel again in a few weeks, I shall have another look at the lift then. Of course the one she was in won't be the same, but it could have a similar phone system installed.
EnolaGaiaOnline
PostPosted: 26-10-2013 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of additional topics I gleaned from rummaging through old / original news releases and online discussions since then ...

The hotel is old, somewhat run-down, and specializes in offering cheap hostel-style accommodations in an area of LA that is borderline 'bad area'.

Supposedly, the hotel was using the first 5 floors only for the hostel-style visitors. Elisa was staying on the 4th floor.

Also - and again supposedly - the hotel was largely empty at the time of her disappearance. Occupancy was only a fraction of the building's overall capacity. Most of the registered occupants were in the hostel-style section (bottom 5 floors).

In the hostel-style section, there are community bathrooms that visitors must share. One theory suggested Elisa had gone to the bathroom, found the one(s) on her floor already occupied, and had gone in search of an open bathroom on another floor.

Some of the folks focused on the buttons she pushed claim she pushed the top button in the center column on the control panel. This would have been the button for the 14th floor. That button doesn't light up in the video. This has been taken by some to suggest she was already on the 14th (of 15) floors. I can't convince myself one way or the other with respect to whether she pushed the very top button.

If she _was_ on the 14th floor, she was outside the hostel-style section, there were no bathrooms available from the corridor, and she was already within two levels of the roof.
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2824
PostPosted: 29-10-2013 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got this off of the internet so who knows if it is true, but...

http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/mysterious-case-elisa-lam/

Quote:
Cecil Hotel’s Dark History

Built in the 1920s to cater to “businessmen to come into town and spend a night or two”, Cecil Hotel was quickly upstaged by more glamorous hotels. Located near the infamous Skid Row area, the hotel began renting rooms on a long-term basis for cheap prices, a policy that attracted a shiftier crowd. The hotel’s reputation quickly went from “shifty” to “morbid” when it became notorious for numerous suicides and murders, as well as lodging famous serial killers.

“Part of its sordid history, involves two serial killers, Richard Ramirez and Jack Unterweger.

Now on death row, Ramirez, labeled “the Nightstalker”, was living at the Cecil Hotel in 1985, in a top floor room. He was charged 14 dollars a night. In a building filled with transients, he remained unnoticed as he stalked and killed his 13 female victims. Richard Schave, said “He was dumping his bloody clothes in the Dumpster, at the end of his evening and returned via the back entrance.”

Jack Unterweger, was a journalist covering crime in Los Angeles for an Austrian magazine in 1991. “We believe he was living at the Cecil Hotel in homage to Ramirez,” Schave said.

He is blamed with killing three prostitutes in Los Angeles, while being a guest at the Cecil.

In the 50’s and 60’s the Cecil was known as a place that people would go to jump out of one of the hotel’s windows to commit suicide.

Helen Gurnee, in her 50s, leaped from a seventh floor window, landing on the Cecil Hotel marquee, on October 22, 1954.

Julia Moore jumped from her eighth floor room window, on February 11, 1962.

Pauline Otton, 27, jumped from a ninth floor window after an argument with her estranged husband, on October 12, 1962. Otton landed on George Gianinni, 65, who was walking on the side walk, 90 feet below. Both were killed instantly.

There was also a murder of one of the residents. “Pigeon Goldie” Osgood, a retired telephone operator, known for protecting and feeding pigeons in a nearby park, was found dead in his ransacked room on June 4, 1964. He had been stabbed, strangled, and raped. The crime still remains unsolved.”

- Las Vegas Guardian Express, Elisa Lam, Morbid History Of Two Serial Killers Unfolds At “Cecil Hotel”

Read more at http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/mysterious-case-elisa-lam/#hcqXFiQfHTW6Gz5A.99
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25624
PostPosted: 31-10-2013 08:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan Holme and Jack Hutton-Potts death falls accidental

An experienced climber fell more than 300ft (91m) down a sea cliff pulling his companion with him to their deaths, an inquest on Anglesey has heard.
Vaughan Holme, 48, from Horsham, West Sussex, was climbing the Gauntlet at Gogarth cliffs near Holyhead, Anglesey.
He and student Jack Hutton-Potts, 23, of Petersfield, Hampshire, were connected by a rope.
Mr Holme had multiple injuries while Mr Hutton-Potts drowned. Their deaths in June were recorded as accidental.

Pathologist Dr Mark Lord told the inquest in Llangefni that Mr Holme's death was "instantaneous". He said of Mr Hutton-Potts: "He's fallen, become unconscious and unfortunately landed in the water and drowned."

Coroner Nicola Jones said the impact of the plunge would have been enormous.
"Clearly the only conclusion I can come to is the deaths were due to an accident," she said.
"We don't know why Vaughan fell. We don't know why Jack decided not to hook on to the cliff."
Mrs Jones said the climb was within the men's capabilities, although challenging.

Elfyn Jones, of Llanberis mountain rescue team, said the pair were connected by a rope.
It appeared Mr Hutton-Potts was waiting to climb and occasionally when starting off it was a "judgement call" about whether to use a belay - a kind of anchoring equipment for climbers.
"Had they been belayed it's possible the fall wouldn't have had the consequences it had," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-24750771
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this doesn't seem to be 'Dangerous Dogs' territory, I'll post this here for now:

Mountsorrel girl, four, dies after being bitten by dog

A four-year-old girl has died in hospital after being bitten by a dog.
Officers were called to a flat in Rowena Court in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, at about 12:15 GMT to reports of a dog attack on a child.
She was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham where she later died.

The dog, believed to be a family pet, died shortly afterwards, but details of how it died have not been released by police.
In a statement, Leicestershire Police said they did not believe the dog "was of a breed listed under Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act".
Inquiries are at an early stage and the force declined to give further details.

Arthur Nash, a neighbour of the family on Rowena Court, said: "Everybody is in shock at the moment with her dying.
"When I saw an ambulance pull up I thought it was an old lady on the court who had had a heart attack and then the neighbour came up and said [the girl] had been killed by the dog."

Gloria Longmire , a secretary at Mountsorrel Methodist Church, who walks her dogs in nearby Cross Lane, added: "I would say we do have a strong community here and people will be absolutely horrified and it's dreadful that it's a family pet."

Police officers remain at the scene and the flat has been cordoned off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24826566
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18708
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrible accident.

Drunken student crushed to death in bin lorry, inquest hears

Quote:
The Canadian graduate Garrett Joseph Franklin Elsey had drunk more than seven pints of beer and had four shots of Jägermeister to celebrate his first night in Bristol.

But after he was asked to leave a night club and became separated from a friend, the 22-year-old found himself lost with no mobile phone.

He decided against walking through an unfamiliar city back to his student digs and instead sought refuge in a wheelie bin. However, unbeknown to him, a weekly collection was due to take place a few hours later.

The giant container he was in was hoisted above head height and tipped into the back of the lorry.
etc

CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2301
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's happened at least twice in Ireland recently, and it also happened in Brighton a couple of years ago. Sad

Now I've been in a state many a time, and never have I been compelled to get in a bin. I just can't quite understand it.
Heckler20Online
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4966
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 09:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
Now I've been in a state many a time, and never have I been compelled to get in a bin. I just can't quite understand it.

Exactly, it's weird, even when I've been completely mullered the idea of climbing into a bin full of rubbish just wouldn't appeal, let alone the sheer physical effort required to climb into one (even when not bladdered).

I do wonder if some wags thought it was a lark to dump an unconscious drunk person into a a bin with tragic results?
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2301
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly.
paranoid420Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 81
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 00:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

He locked himself in a bag. Yeah okay

Death of UK Spy Found in Gym Bag 'Probably an Accident'

Police think Gareth Williams was alone

(Newser) – The MI6 spy whose naked body was found inside a zipped, padlocked gym bag probably died ... by accident, UK police have decided. The coroner said last year Gareth Williams was probably killed by someone else in a criminal act, but now the Metropolitan Police have completed an evidence review and say it's "more probable" no one else was in his apartment when he died in his bathroom in 2010, the BBC reports. The deputy assistant commissioner said today it's "theoretically possible" Williams locked himself into the bag.

Not surprisingly, Williams' family is sticking with the coroner's initial finding, saying in a statement, "We consider that on the basis of the facts at present known, the coroner's verdict accurately reflects the circumstances of Gareth's death." And the AP notes that the police department's "tentative conclusion" is "unlikely to calm conspiracy theories around the bizarre case." Police say they found little evidence of foul play in the code-breaker's death, no signs of a struggle or forced entry, and no evidence that the apartment had been forensically cleaned to remove DNA. Click for more on the strange case.

http://www.newser.com/story/177484/death-of-uk-spy-found-in-gym-bag-probably-an-accident.html
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 06:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

paranoid420 wrote:
He locked himself in a bag. Yeah okay

Death of UK Spy Found in Gym Bag 'Probably an Accident'

Police think Gareth Williams was alone

http://www.newser.com/story/177484/death-of-uk-spy-found-in-gym-bag-probably-an-accident.html

We already have a thread, over three years old, on this topic:

Spy Murder "too sensitive for court"

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1017748#1017748
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 60 of 68

Jump to: