Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The "eternal" brick and other urban objects
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uair01Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1206
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 17:55    Post subject: The "eternal" brick and other urban objects Reply with quote

In the courtyard of the Dutch Ministry of Health there lies a brick. It’s a simple red brick, with one corner broken off. Nothing remarkable about it, except that it has lain there since January and it probably won’t disappear soon.

LINK: Pictures here.

Evidently someone has put it there. It’s not a leftover from the construction, nor is it the same brick that the pavement is made of. It’s bigger and a different colour. It’s not a door stopper, like a stone that I know, that keeps a bank backdoor open. So evidently it’s urban garbage.

Now I’m quite interested in urban garbage and if I see an interesting piece of paper I usually read it (hoping to find a new MJ-12 document). And I often remember the location of dropped bottles, broken CD’s and other out of place stuff. Usually these are swept up in a week. The brick stays put.

I’ve been wondering why this is the case. Some theories:
- It has some useful purpose that I don’t know of.
- It’s so unobtrusive that no one has thought of removing it.
- It doesn’t do any harm so it’s nobody’s problem.
- It doesn’t look enough like “garbage” – would you throw a brick in a dustbin?

That makes me wonder – how many objects are there in the urban environment that are out of place, but still stay “under the radar”.

Since I’ve found this brick I’ve seen many more stones lying around, and I’m now taking pictures of them. I hope that they will stay put just as long. But surprisingly enough some of them disappeared quicker than I thought. I’m playing with the idea of planting some bricks in the city myself. (Of course you know that hollowed-out bricks have been used as dead-drops by both MI5 and the CIA.)

Another class of “eternal” objects are weeds. Since January I’ve been following one thistle that has managed to grow to respectable height – more or less opposite the workplace of our Prime Minister. I can’t understand that no one has uprooted it yet.

LINK: Pictures here.

I hope that you find this Fortean enough and that you will come up with some exciting examples of your own. In fact, I hope proves that you can find curious phenomena in the most common circumstances. And I hope to give some inspiration to those Forteans who say : “Nothing odd ever happens to me.” Maybe the odd fact is in front of your eyes.
rjmrjmrjmOffline
Professional Surrealist
Total posts: 1385
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I love this idea. Its super. Thank you, you have opened up a new an exciting world to me.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1244
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is rediculous. I've been to that site a number of times and theres always something stupid he is talking about. The brick is the best thing to date.
HorikOffline
Total posts: 84
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you need a proper hobby! Try stamp collecting or something - about as exciting laughing

Seriously though. I don't think you could describe this stuff as Fortean.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry horik but i think that was a bit of a low blow,
this stuff is fortean,think about it,what would charles say if was around today.i think you know.

"An opinion is a matter of evidence, but evidence is a matter of opinion".

"It is not possible to define. Nothing has ever been finally found out. Because there is nothing final to find out."

think about it horik,and try and cut are fortean brother a break.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was at middle school, the bus route took us past a farm. It had a stone stable, big sqaure open window. There was an empty beer bottle in the corner of this window, and I swear it was there for all the four years I went to that school.
HorikOffline
Total posts: 84
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah sorry Zed, not very Fortean at all IMO.

Quote:
*. What does the word “fortean” mean?

Basically it refers to the whole grab bag of strange phenomena that scientists often ignore, suppress, discredit, explain away, or otherwise find inconvenient. Such phenomena include (to name a few) unidentified flying objects (UFOs), mysterious animals (cryptozoology), spontaneous human combustion, unexplained natural phenomena (such as non-flying animals falling from the sky), and often psychic phenomena.

Not much mysterious about bricks in courtyards and untrimmed weeds to me. No offence meant to the original poster but I maintain that this stuff isn't really Fortean.
graylien
Justified and Ancient
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I’m playing with the idea of planting some bricks in the city myself.

It would be far more Fortean to plant some Toynbee Tiles - or perhaps create your own variants. Bricks are simply too mundane.

See http://www.citybeat.com/2001-08-02/news.shtml
and http://www.toynbee.net/
hokum6Offline
I am one can short of a six-pack!
Total posts: 833
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 08:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

zed9 wrote:

"An opinion is a matter of evidence, but evidence is a matter of opinion".

Mr Fort would have got on famously with The Sphinx
uair01Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1206
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 09:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

graylien wrote:
It would be far more Fortean to plant some Toynbee Tiles - or perhaps create your own variants. Bricks are simply too mundane.

I guess you already know about the guy who's placing illegal "Space Invader" mosaics all over the world?

List of locations:
http://www.space-invaders.com/sominv.html

One sample picture:
http://www.space-invaders.com/images/tk3.jpg
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 09:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a house brick could be deemed to be "Forteana" if it held traces of an unidentifiable blood-type, a gorilla's fingerprint, a manufacturer's date of 2012 or some such similar "forteanic" evidence.....otherwise, it's just a bloody brick. And why doesn't somebody pick it up before it has somebody's eye out?

My Granny would have picked it up and put it in the lavatory cistern to save water, but then, she used to put all sorts of things in the lavatory cistern for various reasons.... none of which any of us in the family really understood. The chain had to be pulled and held three times followed by a sharp jerk to get anything to clear the u-bend Confused Now that was Fortean! At least until we found the foreign objects lurking out of sight, under the water. Rolling Eyes

Merlin
HighAndMightyOffline
professional cheeky monkey
Total posts: 70
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 10:13    Post subject: if you can explain it... Reply with quote

if you can explain why the brick is left untouched/unmoved then there's no mystery and it's NOT fortean.

offer a solution and you're free to criticise.

i feel that Fort would be fascinated by this kind of humble conundrum. the humdrum is fascinating. pay more attention to it. look for patterns. use your mind.
Atch_Offline
Tosspot
Total posts: 184
Location: #Buy a bike, buy a bike, come down to Charnock Richard Cycles.
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit OT but in a similar vein - there's a pub in Brighton (The Basketmakers Arms) with a load of tobacco tins and other small boxes screwed to the wall in such a way that they can be used to hold slips of paper with drawings/writings etc. There was an unfranked 1st class stamp in one of them for ages - months in fact. People look in these tins all the time to read the scraps of paper yet nobody took the stamp. Many people must've taken it out said 'Oh look an unfranked first class stamp' and replaced it.

Not Fortean but slightly interesting. Not unlike that brick.
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, about 15years ago, I used to walk past a derilict house in Kensington [London]. There was a milkbottle plainly visible in the entrance of the garden. Easy to remove. It stayed there for several month and I took pictures of the milk first curdling, then tuning yellow and eventually becoming a strange mass. Then one day it was gone and I felt quite disappointed. However instead a plastic drinking chocolate bottle was now in front of one of the windows. I photographed this as well but it only stayed a few weeks and was not nearly as good as the milk.
If you think I could post my pictures, I have to say I am completely hopless making links to photos. Its very awkward and when I tried it before it never worked... Crying or Very sad
But reading all your replies I recon nobody wants to see them anyway.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-05-2005 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love to see them.
hmm try and ask one of the bigwigs about uploading pictures,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: