Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The "eternal" brick and other urban objects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13098
PostPosted: 24-02-2013 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colour does indicate some use for the emergency services, but I don't know if hydrants pop up overnight?
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9679
PostPosted: 24-02-2013 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a high security storage safe used by one of the emergency services, but I'd have thought it would be bolted down.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 25-02-2013 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

uair im thinking it is a safety cover over some exposed electrical work or similar ... perhaps with a piece of equipment or apparatus temporarily in place underneath ... there is a grey utilities box on the building pretty much behind and it looks like there could be some renovation work going on ...
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 25-02-2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

also has the letters VGOI on the side so depending which country or area we are in this could be fathomed i feel
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1198
PostPosted: 26-02-2013 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a name for many of these phenomena:
Thomassons

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2012/05/useless-and-defunct-city-objects-are-named-thomassons/2075/

I interpret thos as minor versions of the:
Grands Travaux Inutiles
or the: "monumentally failed works"

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grands_travaux_inutiles
HenryFortOffline
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this particular instance until we know what it does/did/doesnt do we cant know how useless it is
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1212
PostPosted: 27-02-2013 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that site. Thank you. Smile
paranoid420Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 80
PostPosted: 10-03-2013 06:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread, I was reading about a guy in my city who takes pictures of manhole covers. I had no idea how many there are, and just how much is going on under the street. Alot of our big city infrastructure is unknown to most people, as it becomes outdated very few people will even know its purpose.
On a semi related note i almost got electrocuted yesterday by pushing a poorly wired crosswalk button. Worst zap ever i could hear it and it hurt. Would have been Fortean death for sure. My friends would for sure tell media "we told him to get a car, thats what he gets for walking everywhere" I guess the moral of the story is to be careful of touching anything you dont know what its purpose is.
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1878
PostPosted: 10-03-2013 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of Thomssons,

Lovely site to look through for urban oddities.

http://thomasson.kaya.com/search.php
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1378
PostPosted: 11-03-2013 00:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinabin1 wrote:

I especially liked this one: http://thomasson.kaya.com/instance.php?id=91
marionXXXOffline
Un-Gnoing
Total posts: 1513
PostPosted: 11-03-2013 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrick92 wrote:
liveinabin1 wrote:

I especially liked this one: http://thomasson.kaya.com/instance.php?id=91

I'd have thought that would just have been used as a counter weight, maybe when the bricks were hauled up when the windows were sealed?
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1378
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 01:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

marionXXX wrote:
I'd have thought that would just have been used as a counter weight, maybe when the bricks were hauled up when the windows were sealed?

US "Cinderblock" = UK "Breezeblock". Am I right on that?

So why use something that's probably lighter than/the same weight as a brick in order to haul bricks up (presumably one at a time, which doesn't seem very efficient)?

And once you've finished lifting the bricks (with a too-light counterweight, one at a time), surely the sensible (and near unavoidable) thing to do would be to let the counterweight fall to earth, rather than leaving it suspended (how?) in mid-air?
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1025
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveinabin1 wrote:

Thanks for that link. Thats a wonderful site that's going to waste hours of my time Very Happy
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrick92 wrote:
marionXXX wrote:

US "Cinderblock" = UK "Breezeblock". Am I right on that?

So why use something that's probably lighter than/the same weight as a brick in order to haul bricks up (presumably one at a time, which doesn't seem very efficient)?...

In a situation like this a counterweight is literally that: it's an 'assist' which balances the weight to be lifted, rather than overbalances it, which is just dangerous; it's there to assist with the hauling, not do the hauling for you. The same system is still used in many theatres - the weights you put in the cradle balance out the weight of the piece you are lifting (plus a little extra to counter inertia and the friction created by the lines running through pulleys). The flyman can bias the balance as approriate, but generally speaking, in an efficient system, once the brake is removed neither side of the operation should be able to lift the other without his invovement.

I've seen what amounts to a crude version of the same system on building sites and in workshops - and breezeblocks are perfect because the holes allow you to strap on and remove extra weight as and when you need it.

So, I quite like the counterweight idea (although there would have to be another line attached to the block for this to work - which, I suppose, could have been untied) and, like marionXXX, I did at first wonder if this was something that had been set up by the builders when they bricked up the windows (as the brickwork in the blind windows looks somewhat newer, and there are also other areas of what looks like new and repointed brickwork elsewhere).

However, on inspection the whole idea seems to fail because if you look closely the lines runs through a series of eyes fixed into the wall which means, whichever way it is threaded, that you can't lift a load beyond the point the first eye blocks your load or your counterweight.

For what it's worth the eyes could be ties used for scaffolding when the brickwork was done. I still have a feeling it's all something to do with those bricked up windows, I'm just not sure what.

cherrybomb wrote:
liveinabin1 wrote:

Thanks for that link. Thats a wonderful site that's going to waste hours of my time Very Happy

Yes, great stuff. For those who like urban oddities it's worth having a rummage around Dark Roasted Blend.
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1198
PostPosted: 16-02-2014 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea why one lamppost on the bridge should be fortified?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/12571992164/

It's here, but now without the "armor":
https://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.918226,4.494095&spn=0.000424,0.302467&t=m&z=12&layer=c&cbll=51.918385,4.493899&panoid=9gw7B5MGeFETvtmOaZFs_Q&cbp=12,264.18,,0,-9.6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: