Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Misperceptions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 07:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to the opticians may be in order.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1059
PostPosted: 15-03-2013 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past few days I've been working alone in a rather secluded part of my works building. Several times I've heard my name being called in a high piched voice, which has,understandably made me jump. I've been hoping it would build into a nice unexplainable event. However, today I was walking along, doing my job when I hear it again and I have a moment of realisation, it's part of the floor making a squeak when I step on a cartain part of it. Sad Embarassed
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1444
PostPosted: 16-03-2013 08:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherrybomb wrote:
The past few days I've been working alone in a rather secluded part of my works building. Several times I've heard my name being called in a high piched voice, which has,understandably made me jump. I've been hoping it would build into a nice unexplainable event. However, today I was walking along, doing my job when I hear it again and I have a moment of realisation, it's part of the floor making a squeak when I step on a cartain part of it. Sad Embarassed

Excellent! And who taught the floor to say that, I wonder? Shocked
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
PostPosted: 19-03-2013 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cochise wrote:
cherrybomb wrote:

Excellent! And who taught the floor to say that, I wonder? Shocked
Laughing

Well, i must need a hearing test, because yesterday early evening I was home alone in an upstairs room when I heard a male, almost electronic voice say over & over "The beat". I thought it must be some music coming from somewhere but there was no other sound. I searched the room for a toy or something that might be running out of battery power and playing up. Nope. It went on and on for about 10 or so minutes, then I yawned and my ear "popped" and I realised it was a tiny bird sat in the tree outside the window singing! The pitch was such that all i could hear was the deeper part of its song Embarassed Once I could hear it all it did sound lovely Laughing
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14366
PostPosted: 19-03-2013 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the bird have been beatboxing?
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
PostPosted: 20-03-2013 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Could the bird have been beatboxing?

I could well have been...now that would be Fortean!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24068
PostPosted: 07-08-2013 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way this is the opposite of a misperception, but I couldn't think where else to post it, even though I'm sure something similar was mentioned somewhere here quite recently...

I've mentioned my kitchen is being re-done, which has meant a lot of stuff has been moved about, but now it's all finished apart from new electric sockets.

This evening I wanted a spoon, and since I rarely put things away I went straight to the cutlery strainer on the sink to grab one from there. But the strainer wasn't there. A workman had been finishing the grouting there this morning, so he must have moved it. So I looked all round the room, but couldn't see it, even though it is a bright yellow plastic object! Then I looked in all my new cupboards and drawers - nothing. I moved chairs and looked underneath - nothing. Then I looked in all the cupboards and drawers again - still nothing. The workman's name was accumulating some not very nice adjectives... Finally I gave up, and managed to find one spoon in the cutlery drawer.

And then I saw the yellow strainer, sitting on top of the fridge. It had been there all the time, because then I remembered seeing it there earlier on a couple of occassions. But when I wanted it, my eyes couldn't see it, nor could my memory tell me where it was! Shocked

This was perhaps a MISS perception! Wink
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 03-11-2013 00:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening I went to the communal lounge to watch MotD on the big TV there. I put my mug of cider down on the cushion of the sofa next to where I would sit, and went to turn the TV power on.

When I turned back to the sofa, the cushions were wet! OMG, my cider had spilled!

But my mug has a very wide base, and so is very stable (I've parked it there many times before), and the level of cider had not gone down.

Then I thought the spillage was due to someone else, because I'd watched TV earlier in the afternoon but I had not turned the TV power off afterwards.

So I checked the level of dampness - and it didn't feel damp at all!

In fact the 'damp patch' was just a shadow from the room lighting - earlier in the day when I was there it was still daylight! But it was a very convincing illusion, for a short while.
GwenarOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 88
PostPosted: 06-11-2013 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got up in the night to use the bathroom, and as I sat there, I saw what looked like a solid white mist directly in front of me. In my groggy state, I actually reached my hand out to see if someone was standing there in the dark.

We have a lot of trees, so we get these little "spotlights" of light hitting the house or yard when the sun or moon is in the right spot. One of those little spotlights was reflecting off one section of the wall tiles and tub to create a vague misty lamp-light effect in an otherwise completely dark room.

I had to be there at just the right moment to see it. It was an interesting effect.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A swimming pool is evacuated after an artificial leg is mistaken for a paedophile
By Tim Stanley
Last updated: December 16th, 2013

Well, the year ends on a high with this story. This from The Metro:

Quote:
Artificial leg prompts ‘paedophile panic’ at swimming pool and evacuation of children

An entire class of primary school children was evacuated from a swimming pool – because a prosthetic leg sticking out from underneath a cubicle was thought to be a paedophile.
The alarm was raised when staff noticed the foot poking out as the eight- and nine-year-olds got changed following a swimming lesson.

Teachers immediately took the children out of Larkfield Leisure Centre in Aylesford, Kent, but were stunned to discover that the foot was actually part of a prosthetic leg.

It's as if The Day Today had come true. I can't wait to read about the paedophile who was mistaken for a prosthetic leg.

Merry Christmas Britain. May you never stop being supremely weird.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100250816/a-swimming-pool-is-evacuated-after-an-artificial-leg-is-mistaken-for-a-paedophile/
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1126
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that's where it went !
SimonOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 46
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
MotD on the big TV......mug of cider

Ahhh, the perfection of other people's lives. Very Happy
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1544
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 1960's my family spent a week at a 'family camp' event hosted by a YMCA camp facility in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. There were multiple families participating, with circa a dozen pre-teen children. We were housed in rustic cabin bunk-houses on forested slopes surrounding the camp's central area (mess hell, pool, etc.). Forest trails led to each of the cabins. At night the trails were sparsely / spottily lit by electric lamps hung on trees.

As the week went on we got into the habit of all us kids doing something on our own after dinner, while the adults lounged at the mess hall. One evening we kids gathered in my family's cabin and spent a couple of hours telling scary stories (The Hook, ghosts, etc., etc.). It had become dark with forest sounds outside, and some of the younger kids wanted to hike down to the mess hall to see their parents.

We set off down the trail as a group. Suddenly, one of the younger children pulled up and gasped. I looked down the trail to see a large rippling / undulating white blob floating about a meter above the trail and moving toward us. We all shrieked and ran willy-nilly uphill to the cabin in a blind panic. At the cabin's threshold I launched myself into a dive across the plank floor, landed hard, and rolled under one of the corner bunks in one continuous motion - easily the most gymnastic maneuver of my life to that point.

As we all lay cowering and whimpering heavy footsteps came onto the cabin's front porch and trudged to the front screen door. The screen door creaked open ... The youngest kids began blubbering ... My heart seemed to have stopped ... Shocked

... And then I heard the voice of my quite rotund father ask, "What the heck are you kids doing?!?"

He was wearing a t-shirt with dark pants, and his jelly-belly had provided the undulation mechanism. In the half-darkness and faint overhead illumination on the trail it made for a very convincing flying ghost.

Of course, we'd primed ourselves with the scary stories, and little convincing was required ... Twisted Evil
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 19619
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! That deserves to be written up into a dhort story.
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 9992
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Wonderful! That deserves to be written up into a dhort story.

A story about dhorts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> The Human Condition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: