Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Samuel Pepys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13730
PostPosted: 18-12-2013 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well, I'm far too much of a lady to mention that.

Wink
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 4920
PostPosted: 21-12-2013 05:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:
I visited the Pepys library at Magdalene college in Cambridge in the summer, essentially his book collection (over 3000 volumes) arranged in locked glass fronted cupboards. Whilst perusing the titles on the spines I noticed he had a copy of a True and Faithful Relation of What Passed for Many Years Between Dr. John Dee and Some Spirits, which is the transcript of the conversations (often in Enochian) between Dee's medium Edward Kelley and Angels.

So in answer to the original poster it appears Pepys, who was a voracious bibliophile, was certainly interested in the Occult, what he made of the Dee volume obviously we don't know and as to whether this sparked a wider interest or was simple curiosity we also don't know.

This fascination, not just of Pepys but of other Enlightenment figures, has led to the curious bit of cataloguing in the British Museum. Dee's scrying ball, mirror, and other bits and pieces are in a cabinet as part of the Enlightenment Collection, rather than being with other Elizabethan relics. This doesn't make sense to me, as surely they should be in their own period, but the excuse given is that people in the Enlightenment were fascinated with this stuff.

I suspect they just didn't want to move the exhibit when they reorganised the cabinets, but I could be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: