Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Nosferatu, Frater Pacitus & OTO
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
Total posts: 4205
PostPosted: 03-11-2002 05:01    Post subject: Nosferatu, Frater Pacitus & OTO Reply with quote

Just read in Nikolas Schreck's The Satanic Screen about Albin Grau, aka Frater Pacitus of the OTO and how he inserted real magical symbols into the written words in the silent film Nosferatu.

What I would want to know is has anybody ever tried to find out if what he wrote was a working spell that would be understood by working magicians or just gibberish that looked good in the film?
_Lizard23_Offline
In love with the
Total posts: 1914
PostPosted: 04-11-2002 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info and links some relevant stills from the film here:
http://www.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/fs3.htm

... under the heading "People made of stone" (2nd para down)
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
PostPosted: 04-11-2002 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is great! I'll read through it all.
_Lizard23_Offline
In love with the
PostPosted: 04-11-2002 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't give any information about the film really, but the stills are very clear.
Koenig's site is pretty interesting anyway.

I am reserving judgement on the authenticity/meaning of the symbols .... I don't really have time to study it right now ... all looks a bit of a mish-mash to me ... I recognise a few of the forms but don't quite see what they are doing there .... I'll get back to you if I have any insights.

Last edited by _Lizard23_ on 04-11-2002 15:09; edited 1 time in total
phi23Offline
Psychogeographer
Total posts: 536
PostPosted: 05-11-2002 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

having studied it last night the symbols appear to correspond to the article - there are symbols invoking Mars, Saturn and Luna and also symbols invoking Satan. It appears to be a contract with the devil - its definitely more than just a mish-mash though.
_Lizard23_Offline
In love with the
PostPosted: 05-11-2002 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm well ..... I see Saturn, Mars and probably the moon ... and Venus and Jupiter too, and a lot of forms which resemble the seals of spirits of one kind or another, although nothing I immediately recognise (planetary angels and intelligences etc or the goetic entities etc) although as I say, I haven't really studied the pics ... what makes you say it's a pact with Satan? (*snigger*)
phi23Offline
Psychogeographer
Total posts: 536
PostPosted: 05-11-2002 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing

I think it is a prop after all then - but they have the structure of pacts and the kind of personal sigils one would sign a pact with. Also I think I see the magic square of Saturn. In what context do they appear in the film?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-11-2002 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks seriously dodgy to me

Look at the contrast difference in the sepia tones between the papaer and the hands, the skin tones are way off compared to the paper. Looks like Photoshop job to me.

Plus, this movie was made by a German called Fritz Mernau, AFAIK, and he was more a technologist. He used very innovative techniques, including his own gearing in the cameras to slow things down slightly and give Max Shreck a more languid appearance as Nosferatu. Plus, they used a variance of the Dracula story cause they could not buy the exclsuive rights from Stoker's family.

Sounds a bit far fetched.

LD
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
PostPosted: 06-11-2002 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the film, if I remember correctly, the documents are shown during the scenes where the Harker-esq character is getting Nosferatu to sign documents concerning ownership of the house in England - although, from the expression on Shreck's face, it could also be during the scene where Harker accidently cuts himself. (I'll try to rewatch the film soon)

The stills are the real thing, the first two look to be from a sepia tone print, while the third is a semi-poor reproduction in a print media (still from a book of the film?)

F.W. Murnau was indeed technologically adroit, but he was also a big romantic (just check out his masterpiece "Sunrise") so his approach to Nosferatu isn't surprising.

And it seems that Albin Grau did work on his film and was heavily involved with magic, so I just wondered if he designed these images based in a real magic system so that it would be understandible to a practitioner or if he just threw together some cool stuff that would look good on screen.
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8265
PostPosted: 07-11-2002 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he just threw together odds and ends to make it look suitably esoteric. From the look of the page in the stills, there's some mildly authentic stuff (i.e. some symbols are drawn correctly) but also gobbledigook made to look suitably strange IMHO. I think anyone with a passing knowledge of the occult could probably come up with the same thing.
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
PostPosted: 03-08-2004 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipping around, I finally went to THIS LINK that Lizard 23 provided, and Grau was definately involved in some of the more serious magic groups of the 20th century.

Albin Grau "Pacitius" became the first chairman of these Berlin brethren seeking enlightenment. He was born on June 13th 1884 at Schönefeld near Leipzig, and like Metzger, began his working life as an apprentice baker; then he became a student at the Leipzig Academy of Art. In the Great War he was at the Russian front, but afterwards was employed as a commercial artist - first the by North German Lloyd company, then various other shipping lines, finally working for the German railway; 'Pacitius' was also an enthusiastic mountain-climber. He then worked in films, collaborating as script-writer, costume-designer, and set-designer for UFA productions. He worked on films such as "Dr. Mabuse", "Vampire", and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari", also collaborating with others as production-designer for the Decla Construction firm on "Pietro the Corsair" (directed by Dr. Robison), and "The Nibelungs" (directed by Fritz Lang, 1922). [5] In the credits of F.W. Murnau's film "Nosferatu" (1922), "Alwin Grau" is mentioned as being responsible for the sets; the production-company for "Nosferatu" was 'Prana-Film' of Berlin - 'prana' being an esoteric term that had already been used as the title of Hugo Vollrath's Theosophical periodical. Since the script of "Nosferatu" bore such a close resemblance to Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula", the ensuing court-case over copyright bankrupted Prana-Film. [6]

In 1925 Crowley was visiting Tränker and Karl Germer. Albin Grau was not alone in coming "unhappily, too late" [8] to regret having ever sided with Crowley. The secret German côteries around Tränker split into three groups: Tränker's O.T.O.-Pansophy; Küntzel and Germer's Thelema-Verlag; and a new development of the Pansophical Working Group in Berlin - the Fraternitas Saturni.

So he knew his stuff - but wouldn't it be interesting if his work was more than just stage dressing?
Onix_MartinezOffline
Papá de Iñaki y Xhanté
Total posts: 682
PostPosted: 04-08-2004 04:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that film. I'll print the symbols and I'll check it in the afternoon.
Onix_MartinezOffline
Papá de Iñaki y Xhanté
Total posts: 682
PostPosted: 06-08-2004 03:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find my copy. I am guessing one of my nephews has it, since there is the Hellboy DVD in it's place. Anyway, I'll check it this weekend for sure.
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
PostPosted: 31-10-2004 01:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few great links about Nosferatu:

http://nosferatumovie.com

Quote:
While Murnau's contemporaries were building lavish sets for their films, Murnau took his camera and crew on location. This was very rare for the time. So the castle, the towns, and the landscapes are real. Murnau also used non-theatrical actors as extras. This gives an air of authenticity as he mixes his actors with real people playing themselves. The subject itself was frightening enough to elicit emotions that were sometimes more genuine than those of his "real" actors. Compare the fear in the older townswomen with the hamming acting of Gustav von Wangenheim if you want an example.

http://www.nosferatuscoffin.com/enter.html

Also, looks like Max Shreck is still shilling for work! Very Happy

http://commandent.tripod.com/maxshreckvampire/

Last edited by MrRING on 31-10-2004 01:21; edited 1 time in total
MrRINGOffline
Android Futureman
PostPosted: 08-01-2006 03:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a slight mention about this here:

http://wdch.laphil.com/misc/nosferatu.cfm
Quote:
"Whether it be on account of the paranormal or the sexual, Nosferatu [the Rumanian name for the legendary vampire] continues to fascinate. A recent feature film was made about it - Shadow of a Vampire, a black comedy in which Max Schreck/Orlok is a real vampire. So weird was the actual making of Murnau's film that the story need not have been embellished upon. The designer, Albin Grau, was obsessed with the occult and a friend of the master of the black arts, Alistair Crowley, then dubbed 'the most evil man in the world'. Grau made frequent use of cabalistic and astrological symbols in the film: the opening title shows an evil eye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Esoterica All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: