Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
What Music????
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown_ForeverOffline
.. much preferred his original Forum name
Total posts: 175
PostPosted: 31-10-2005 21:33    Post subject: What Music???? Reply with quote

How come the 'What Music?' thread is currently locked?

I know there's been a lot of recent discussion about Hillage/Daevid Allen/Gong (and I admitted to an enduring affection for Fairport Convention) but this is going a bit far, surely?

Come on Mods, explain yourselves!

PB (while 'Liege and Lief' once more plays in the background)
TheQuixoteOffline
Total posts: 3299
PostPosted: 31-10-2005 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I locked it cos it was well over the 1500 posts (anything more than this and the auto-delete goes into a spasm) I was waiting for someone to notice it and start a new thread Wink

I've edited your OP so you can now carry on as it were, new thread and all that.
gerardwilkieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 603
PostPosted: 01-11-2005 05:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
disgruntledgothOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 247
PostPosted: 01-11-2005 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here goes, I'm listening to mudvayne, slayer and machinehead.

Last edited by disgruntledgoth on 01-11-2005 18:43; edited 1 time in total
luvpixieOffline
small green pointy friend
Total posts: 45
PostPosted: 01-11-2005 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corr!
I`m everso glad this thread re-opened,because I just wanted to ask the Gong family friends if they`d checked out the University of Errors site,or the official Gong website?...............because we are not alone. Laughing
CavynautOffline
Skoumed!
Total posts: 1502
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I'm listening to anything by Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things and early Hawkwind.

Seems like that entire hippy/early punk crossover is about the only genre that hasn't been mined to buggery in the last few years by spotty media students.

Hmmm....at the tender age of 48, should I put an advert in the local instrument shop and blow the cobwebs off the strat.....? Laughing
Diabolik8
Disenchanted Bast
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 04:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites

Beautiful.
gerardwilkieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 603
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 06:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to an advance copy of the new Rammstein album , Rosenrot. It's not been released yet , but is probably one of the best albums so far this year . Opening track Benzin is a killer .
tonyblair11
My shoes hurt
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 09:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benzin=gasoline/petrol?

CLUTCH-------Robot Hive\Exodus
disgruntledgothOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 247
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavynaut wrote:
Hmmm....at the tender age of 48, should I put an advert in the local instrument shop and blow the cobwebs off the strat.....? Laughing

In a word, YES. Get a big Marshal amp and make that guitar wail, and severely annoy anyone living in the street.
RubyaitOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1184
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the subways last week in Oxford and they were pretty good live. I haven't had a manic jump around session like that in ages! yeay
Redhead666Offline
Eat right, exercise, die anyway.
Total posts: 129
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me how you can have these musicians ( I am assuming in the UK) that people across the Atlantic Ocean have never heard of.

I have never in my life heard of Hillage, Daevid Allen/Gong, Fairport Convention, mudvayne, Pink Fairies, The Pretty Things, Hawkwind, Mew, Glass Handed Kites, or Rammstein.
Shocked
Brown_ForeverOffline
.. much preferred his original Forum name
Total posts: 175
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudvayne are from the US, and that's about as much as I know about them.

No doubt all will be made clear at www.mudvayne.com , if you are prepared to put up with the "interesting" site navigation, which I wasn't.

Fairport Convention? Folk Rock group formed in 1967 (I think) by Richard Thompson et al. Vocalist most associated with the group is Sandy Denny (died 1978), who duetted 'The Battle of Evermore' with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's fourth album. Fairport have released zillions of albums since then, but my favourite remains their fourth, 'Liege and Lief' from 1969. Think the current incarnation of the group still undertakes the occasional North American tour.

I take it you've heard of Rush? Wink

PB
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown_Forever wrote:

Fairport Convention? Folk Rock group formed in 1967 (I think) by Richard Thompson et al. Vocalist most associated with the group is Sandy Denny (died 1978), who duetted 'The Battle of Evermore' with Robert Plant on Led Zeppelin's fourth album. Fairport have released zillions of albums since then, but my favourite remains their fourth, 'Liege and Lief' from 1969. Think the current incarnation of the group still undertakes the occasional North American tour.

PB

Which has just prompted me to dig out my Fairport and Sandy albums. I second the view that 'Liege and Lief' is their best - I never get bored of their version of Matty Groves.

Before that I was listening to the Monkees boxset 'Listen to the Band' and digging - as the youth might say - the country/Byrds stuff. Gotta love Woolhat for that.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhead666 wrote:
Daevid Allen/Gong,

I've an acquaintance, who was later diagnosed as schizophrenic, who claimed that Allen was sending him telepathic messages telling him to take up the bass guitar, practice and join the band at a specific date in the future.

He bought a second bass and practiced, often as much as 18 hours a day just waiting for the specified day. Sadly, his delusions also developed and he started claiming to hear messages in Gong/Allen tracks that were aimed at him.

The day eventually came and he travelled south to find Allen who told him he was mistaken. Cognitive dissonance followed, delusions toppled and the bloke had a breakdown.

Who said the drugs don't work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 1 of 168

Jump to: