Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
What Music????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 165, 166, 167  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FluttermothOffline
Mrs Treguard
Total posts: 453
PostPosted: 06-11-2013 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered this through a stupid quiz on FB ('Ikea or Death' Embarassed ), but I absolutely love it. I seem to be the only one; even my 16 yo, who's a big death metal fan, doesn't like it *sighs*

Anyway, for those willing to give it a go, the mighty Nortt;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLzExTvLF34

It helps if you don't think of it as music, as such, more like aural sculpture Very Happy

I would love to listen to this in the Mark Rothko room at Tate Modern.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25909
PostPosted: 17-11-2013 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through iPlayer for something to watch or listen to, and came across a Paul McCartney concert. I thought "maybe", and looked on.

And found this old radio stuff:

Beatles at the BBC

A rare chance to hear the Beatles as BBC audiences would have originally encountered them.

This programme compiles extracts from "Pop Go The Beatles" (July - September 1963), "Public Ear" (November 1963), "From Us To You" (March 1964) "The Alan Freeman Show" (July 1964), and "Saturday Club" (November 1964) to create a revealing portrait of how British audiences would have originally heard the Beatles, the way they presented themselves and the impressions that they left.

In addition to songs recorded in BBC studios, the programme also contains interviews with the Fab Four and a glimpse behind the scenes as they attempt to record "I Feel Fine" for a Saturday Club session.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03h4226/Beatles_at_the_BBC/

Duration 57 minutes Available until 11:02PM Thu, 21 Nov 2013

All the freshness and fun of of the early Beatles, including some things that never made it to vinyl.

Enjoy!
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 22-11-2013 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

More iPlayer stuff: sort of Music meets Forgotten History...
(Good time-lapse photography at the beginning.)

Queen Live In Budapest: Hungarian Rhapsody

In July 1986, as part of the Magic tour which, poignantly, was the last to feature Freddie Mercury, Queen played Hungary for the first time. With three years to go before the fall of the Berlin Wall, this was the largest concert ever staged at the Népstadion, Budapest, and the first western rock concert staged in a stadium behind the iron curtain.

The concert held such significance to the Hungarian authorities that an unprecedented collaboration of Hungary's top film cameraman and technicians were formed to record it. Aside from depicting Queen's live performance, the film includes montages of highlights of the band's legendary visit and a unique insight into the Hungarian film making style adapted to western rock music.

Staged for 80,000 ecstatic fans, the concert set includes favourite hits like Bohemian Rhapsody, Crazy Little Thing Called Love and I Want To Break Free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pp0zp/Queen_Live_In_Budapest_Hungarian_Rhapsody/

Duration 95 minutes - Available until 12:29AM Sun, 24 Nov 2013
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14967
PostPosted: 22-11-2013 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gesaffelstein: Aleph. Spare, driving techno album which makes me wonder if I should be a hipster for listening to it, but it's damn good nonetheless. I tried to link to the video on YouTube video of Pursuit but it's rude so you have to sign in to see it. Top tune, though.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2329
PostPosted: 03-12-2013 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent Christmas tune!

Orbital have only gone and remixed 'Chime'....creating.....'Christmas Chime'!

http://youtu.be/eJwLcFgWR8c
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like doorbells than Christmas bells, but thanks anyway. The video's a bit of freaky fun too (though shouldn't they be taking a mince pie out of the oven instead of a treacle tart?).
CarlosTheDJOffline
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 07:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is a work of genius!
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me a bit of Vic and Bob doing the Jimmy Hill face dance.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1770
PostPosted: 06-12-2013 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opening track on the new album by folk singer Lisa Knapp.

One for Rynner I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a-_Rdtbnow
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards plaque for Dartford station

A chance encounter on a railway station platform in Kent, without which the Rolling Stones might never have existed, is to be marked with a plaque.
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards had their first proper meeting at Dartford station on 17 October 1961.
The teenagers recognised each other as they had both gone to Wentworth Primary School in the town, with Jagger then going on to study at Dartford Grammar.

Dartford council leader Jeremy Kite said the town was proud of the link.
The two musicians met on platform two - Richards was on his way to Sidcup Art College, carrying his hollow-bodied Höfner cutaway electric guitar, while Jagger was travelling to the London School of Economics and holding some of his prized blues records.
"Fate was sealed and they started talking about playing their music together," Mr Kite said.
"They went off and recruited Brian Jones next, and the rest is history," he added.

The Rolling Stones formed in 1962, and went on to become one of the most successful, influential and enduring rock 'n' roll bands in the history of music.
Mr Kite said the heritage blue plaque at the station would remind people of the historic moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-25384381
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21323
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The two jailed protesters from the Pussy Riot group could be freed early under a planned "hooliganism amnesty" to be voted on in the Russian Parliament. We speak to the husband of one singer.

http://www.channel4.com/news/early-release-for-pussy-riot

Vid at link.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 15-12-2013 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmph! Threads like Dumb cops or Stupid Rules could be outdated if we get more examples of common sense like this:

Piano-playing policeman praised in Czech Republic

A Czech police officer who was filmed playing a piano while on duty has been lauded by the chief of police for boosting the force's image.
A 30-second mobile phone video of the performance has been watched nearly 800,000 times on YouTube.
The policeman had taken a break to sit down at one of the pianos placed around central Prague for public use.
Still wearing his bright green reflective vest, he rattled off a few bars of a South Korean composition.

Police chief Martin Cervicek said the clip of the officer playing River Flows In You, by the South Korean composer Yiruma, had done more to improve the image of the force than anything he himself would ever achieve.

The young traffic policeman only joined the force six weeks ago but it is fair to say he is now the most famous officer in the Czech Republic, the BBC's Rob Cameron reports from Prague.

Mr Cervicek said he had spoken to the officer, whose name has not been released, and wished him the same success in his police career.
A superior had spoken to the new recruit about what he could and could not do on duty, he added, but the piano-playing policeman was not formally disciplined

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25391668

(But the vest is standard hi-vis yellow, not green!)
nelsonOffline
Grey
Total posts: 7
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 06:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a tourist and Travelling, gaming and play video games are my hobbies. I love pop music and like to prefer to listen; all the songs by Michael Jackson during travel. The Blank or White and the Man in the Mirror are my favorite song.
CarlosTheDJOffline
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 09:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a Sabbath-fest this week to prepare for the homecoming Birmingham gig on Friday.

"War Pigs" is the perfect driving-to-work-on-a-Monday song.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 10:14    Post subject: A review what I have wrote and not spam. Reply with quote

Posted this elsewhere, but just had to do a review. I don't get out much these days.

Went into Amsterdam on Saturday night to see Ted Milton & Blurt. I go back a long way with this band, I remember them from when the original line-up of puppeteering poet, Ted, Jake Milton (Ted's brother) on drums and Pete Creese on guitar, were still practising back in Stroud (Glos.).

And, I went to see them at the Rock Garden, in London (I thought it was the Marquee, but Ted put me right). The line-up may have been different, but Blurt played after Nick Cave & the Birthday Party. The audience threw (plastic) glasses at Nick Cave & co., then Blurt came on and simply blew them away. That was back in the Eighties. Long time gone.

Anyway. Saturday night, Ted with the present line-up, Steve Eagles on guitar and Dave Aylward on drums, played the OCCII, in Amsterdam, alongside excellent sets from two local bands, Lifeless Past and Urban Grey, with Trish Trash DJing.

The OCCII is a former tram shed, that was taken over by squatters, years ago. It's now a local arts venue, at the very bottom of the Vondelpark. Condensation drips from metal fittings overhead in a very Cavern-like way. The bottled beer is cheap and the volunteers who run it, friendly. I'd recommend a visit if you're ever Amsterdam way.

A great gig. Blurt were brilliant. An excellent set. Steve and Dave are worthy successors to Pete and Jake, playing a very tight, yet free, accompaniment to Ted's noodling, squirting, alto-sax and ranty, skalding, vocals. Minimalist poetic rant, yet stuff that you can dance to.

Blurt have been doing a mini-European tour-ette, to promote their new single.

Blurt - Let Them Be: http://youtu.be/sb4i3XNxsys yeay yeay yeay

I had a brilliant evening. It took me the rest of the night to get home, after the direct trains had stopped, but totally worth it.
Cycling around Amsterdam at half past three in the morning, at my age... am I mad?
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Page 157 of 167

Jump to: