Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
What Music????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 168, 169, 170  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9700
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted Milton must be the oldest punk on the planet. yeay
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13118
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Cults album Static for Christmas. Indie wall of sound, big, tuneful noise, I like.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 26-12-2013 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't see it on BBC Four tonight, please check out the Sex Pistols Christmas special about the time they played for the striking firemen and their families in Huddersfield at Christmas 1977. Julien Temple directed it, and it's one of the best things I've seen on seasonal TV, John Lydon is really charming and the footage is fantastic - the little kids singing along to Bodies is very funny.

It'll be on iPlayer for the next week I should think.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21528
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sad loss to Punk Rock.

Quote:
Pussy Riot abandons ‘brand,’ will form human rights group
Published time: December 27, 2013 17:08
Edited time: December 27, 2013 18:39
http://rt.com/politics/pussy-riot-rights-group-883/

Pussy Riot members Nadezhda Tolokonnikova (R) and Maria Alyokhina talk to the media during a news conference in Moscow, December 27, 2013. (Reuters/Tatyana Makeyeva)

The recently released members of punk band Pussy Riot say they will not continue their musical project, but will instead fight for human rights in Russia. The women plan to crowdfund a rights group and have invited Khodorkovsky and Navalny to join.

Pussy Riot’s Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina held a media conference in Moscow on Friday, announcing their plans to create a human rights group called “Rights Zone.” The two spoke to journalists days after their early release under President Putin’s amnesty, with Tolokonnikova paying a short visit to her family and child prior to the presser.

According to Tolokonnikova, she and Alyokhina do not intend to leave Russia, as they have “a lot of work to do” in the country with human rights issues and possible political activities.

However, their Pussy Riot days might be over. Nadezhda repeatedly stressed that she believes the punk project has now gone global, adding that she does not own the “brand.”

“The question on Pussy Riot should not be addressed just to us, as this project now lives separately from us in many different forms across the world,” Tolokonnikova said, adding that she may later take part in other “music experiments.”

But for now, the two women will be busy creating their new rights group, which they hope to do in close “ideological and conceptual” cooperation with controversial figures such as opposition leader Aleksey Navalny and former oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky, who left for Germany last week after being pardoned and released from jail for “humanitarian reasons.”

Former head of oil giant Yukos, Mikhail Khodorkovsky (RIA Novosti / Ramil Sitdikov)Former head of oil giant Yukos, Mikhail Khodorkovsky (RIA Novosti / Ramil Sitdikov)

Tolokonnikova stressed that she and Alyokhina will not ask any of them for sponsorship, despite not having any funds to create the group. Instead, they plan to raise money by crowdfunding – an increasingly popular way of collecting public donations via the internet. The method is often used by activists and artists.

The “Rights Zone,” which will particularly focus on improving Russia’s penal system and defending the rights of prisoners, was inspired by the harsh conditions that Tolokonnikova claims to have observed while serving her prison sentence.

She went on a hunger strike in September, protesting against what she said were violations of prisoners’ rights, including hard labor and long working hours for women, as well as personal threats to her life.

Authorities denied Tolokonnikova’s claims, but launched an official investigation which found no evidence of violations in the female penal colony. The Public Supervisory Commission said that such claims “never happened anywhere” and that all the colonies “are being checked regularly.”

Member of the punk band Pussy Riot Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, released from jail early under an amnesty, at a news conference at the Dozhd TV channel. (RIA Novosti / Alexey Kudenko)Member of the punk band Pussy Riot Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, released from jail early under an amnesty, at a news conference at the Dozhd TV channel. (RIA Novosti / Alexey Kudenko)

Tolokonnikova’s hunger strike inspired prisoners at the nearby penal colony for men, who decided to protest in the same way. The move sparked a criminal investigation into the activities of some of the prison’s overseers, announced by the Russian Investigative Committee in November.

Upon her release, Tolokonnikova claimed that her actions have yielded results, and that she will continue fighting “to keep the system in tune.” Her statements were echoed by Alyokhina, who on Friday said there that are some prisoners “on the brink of life and death” whose rights should be defended.

The two said that they are also ready to work with clergy on their mission.

Earlier on Monday, Alyokhina told journalists that she regrets the band could not “finish the song” in Moscow’s Christ the Savior Cathedral in February 2012, which they dubbed a “punk prayer.” As a result of the song, the two women were arrested and jailed on charges of aggravated hooliganism.

Member of the punk band Pussy Riot Maria Alyuokhina, released from jail early under an amnesty, at a news conference at the Dozhd TV channel. (RIA Novosti / Alexey Kudenko)Member of the punk band Pussy Riot Maria Alyuokhina, released from jail early under an amnesty, at a news conference at the Dozhd TV channel. (RIA Novosti / Alexey Kudenko)

The politically-charged tune was performed by Pussy Riot near the cathedral’s altar, and sparked a heated debate around whether the band’s choice of venue was appropriate, given the fact that some within in the religious community felt offended as a result of the action. The video released later on the Internet was an anti-government ‘prayer’ full of obscenities.

But the two-year jail term served by two of the band’s members sparked international criticism and switched the focus of the discussion to claims that the women were victims of political persecution.

Vsevolod Chaplin, a Russian Orthodox Church official, on Monday raised hopes that the Pussy Riot members will not repeat their controversial performance.

“I hope that the women will be able to rethink the act they committed in the cathedral and understand how much pain it caused to the believers,” Chaplin said, as quoted by ITAR-TASS.

According to Chaplin, “the faith, the motherland, the outlook and the moral choice of a person should not be subject to pressure from any political or media manipulations.” He added that the church will always protect its sacred sites and urge the government to protect them “by all lawful means available.”

He said the Church was “open for dialogue” with Pussy Riot members, if they have any desire to begin such a conversation.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1894
PostPosted: 28-12-2013 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sling this in here although it's not very seasonal, even if it does have some snow in it.

Sanctus Cyberia

Karl Jenkins music gets cyberconverted. Laughing
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 583
PostPosted: 18-01-2014 05:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/TomWaitsRainDogs.jpg/220px-TomWaitsRainDogs.jpg

Track 2: Clap Hands
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 18-01-2014 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinny wrote:

Anything off that album, in fact. I don't think there's a wrong moment on Rain Dogs - from Anders Petersen's photograph on the cover, to the very last note.

Sublime - in a storm-soaked, rusty hinged, weed-choked, dockyard back-alley kind of way.
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
PostPosted: 18-01-2014 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I've heard of the new wave of psychedelic rock leaves me feeling a bit like I've had a dose of musical indigestion.

It has its moments though - I don't entirely dislike this racket from White Hills:

Forever in Space (Enlightened).

However, the main reason for this post is the cover to the album the above track comes from: So You Are... So You'll Be.

Is it just me, or does it look like module one of Operation Yewtree's, How To Spot a Pervert course?:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/splinterspook/WhiteHills.jpg

See what I mean?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Metal band ‘invoices’ US govt for using their music for ‘torture’ in Gitmo
Published time: February 01, 2014 19:22
http://rt.com/news/skinny-puppy-guantanamo-torture-524/

The exterior of Camp Delta is seen at the U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo Bay (Reuters)

Veteran Industrial band Skinny Puppy have objected to their disturbingly dark music being played to discombobulate inmates at Guantanamo, and plan to “charge” the government for doing so. They are not the first band to express such objections.

"We heard through a reliable grapevine that our music was being used in Guantanamo Bay prison camps to musically stun or torture people. We heard that our music was used on at least four occasions," the idiosyncratically monikered guitarist cEvin Key told The Phoenix New Times.

“So we thought it would be a good idea to make an invoice to the US government for musical services.”

While this may have been seen as an oblique compliment to a band that prides itself on its dark imagery, the thought of their music bringing genuine mental anguish was uncomfortable.

"We never supported those types of scenarios. Because we make unsettling music, we can see it being used in a weird way. But it doesn't sit right with us," said Key, who founded Skinny Puppy back in 1982.

It is not clear if the Canadian band is expecting remuneration from the US government, but the band has named its latest album Weapon as a reference to the alleged incidents.

The most famous objectors to their music being used for enhanced interrogation are heavy metal legends Metallica.

Skinny PuppySkinny Puppy

A 2006 anonymous interview with US service staff showed that it had become their band of choice “to soften up” suspects before an interrogation.

"If there are people that are dumb enough to use Metallica to interrogate prisoners, you're forgetting about all the music that's to the left of us. I can name, you know, thirty Norwegian death metal bands that would make Metallica sound like Simon & Garfunkel," retorted a defensive Lars Ulrich, the drummer for the band.

Skinny Puppy appears to fit the bill.

Forcing prisoners to listen to music has been a widespread tactic for at least the past few decades. The point is not only to intimidate, but also to humiliate, often by inflicting an incongruous foreign culture on a suspected terrorist (inoffensive pop singer Britney Spears also featured widely on US ‘interrogation mixes’).

But the practice has met with legal challenges. The UK, which used to subject IRA suspects to unpredictable and deafening spells of white noise, and Israel, have both been banned from doing so by their respective national courts.

But not all bands mind the military association.

Christian metal band Demon Hunter sent the US army patches and CDs that would psych up US marines before missions. According to an Esquire interview in 2012, the Navy SEAL who shot Osama Bin Laden was wearing just such a patch as he riddled the Islamist terrorist with bullets in May 2011.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1894
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For some reason I can never get into Rain Dogs, which is a pity as I utterly adore Alice and also like a lot of the tracks on Bone Machine.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 03-02-2014 00:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dementia diagnosis for The Enid's Robert John Godfrey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-25983444

Robert John Godfrey, The Enid

Robert John Godfrey went straight to his GP after a "scary episode" driving his car

A musician who has led a cult British band for 40 years says he has "lost any fear" about being diagnosed with dementia.

Robert John Godfrey, of symphonic rock band The Enid, has been told he has the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease.

The 66-year-old musician and composer said the band can carry on without him.

"I'm not fearful of the future and I've made the decision to retire and I'm looking to stop participating on stage as soon as possible," he said.

Godfrey formed the group in Kent in 1974 and has been the only ever-present member during a 40-year career of ups and downs.

The band, which is currently a six-piece based in Northampton, was signed to EMI and Pye in the 1970s, but has released its albums independently since the 1980s, partly relying on financial support from fans.

More recently they filled the Birmingham Symphony Hall with accompaniment from the the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and poetry from graphic novelist Alan Moore.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

While research has shown that dementia is the most feared condition for people over 50, it is possible to live well with it”

Chris Quince
Alzheimer's Society
'Scary episode'
"I have had a great life doing nothing but music - I lost any fear of death many years ago and the story of my life will come full circle as indeed it must," he said.

Godfrey, who plays keyboards, said he went to the doctor after a "scary episode" in his car when he forgot how to get home.

"I was diagnosed with minimal cognitive impairment - I've still got all my marbles, but I'm not as fluent in marshalling my thoughts or remembering names and places.

"Creatively, it's unlikely I'll have problems with my ability to play until the very end.

"I'm hopeful I'm not somebody who will descend into frustration and anger and start throwing things.

"I hope I'll just gradually sink in to childhood and be a happy little thing, but there's no way of knowing how this is going to pan out."

Chris Quince, spokesperson for the Alzheimer's Society, said: "While research has shown that dementia is the most feared condition for people over 50, it is possible to live well with it.

"A timely diagnosis is vital to enable this to happen as it opens the door to support, information and potential treatments.

"It also gives people the opportunity to plan for the future."
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26262
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen reach six million album sales in UK

Queen have made UK chart history by becoming the first act to sell six million copies of an individual album.
Their first Greatest Hits collection, which includes the hits We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody, has extended its lead after being Britain's highest-selling album for several years.

The Official Charts Company said one in three British families now owned a copy of the 1981 compilation.

--------------------------------
TOP 5 UK ALBUM SALES
1.Greatest Hits - Queen (1981) - 6m
2.Gold - Greatest Hits - Abba (1992) - 5.1m
3.Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles (1967) - 5.1m
4.21 - Adele (2011) - 4.7m
5.What's The Story Morning Glory - Oasis (1995) - 4.6m
Source: Official Charts Company
--------------------------------

Queen guitarist Brian May said the feat was "incredible".
"Great news, amazing news from the Official Charts Company," he said.
"I just want to say thanks to everyone who has supported us through the years, we hope to continue to serve you."

Band mate Roger Taylor added: "Wonderful. Who would have thought it? And all due to the great British public. Thank you. A great honour!"

However, Adele's 21 is catching up on the top spot fast. It has sold an impressive 4.7m copies in just three years.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26121239
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
PostPosted: 12-02-2014 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Queen have made UK chart history by becoming the first act to sell six million copies of an individual album.
Their first Greatest Hits collection, which includes the hits We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody, has extended its lead...

Reminds me of this.

No disrespect to Queen (or, for that matter, ABBA), but I don't really count greatest hits albums as true albums at all - but maybe that's just me.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 12-02-2014 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's significant Greatest Hits compilations are basically singles collections, especially in these days of downloading selected tracks.

So congratulations The Beatles for Sgt. Pepper. Not that you need any more.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1213
PostPosted: 12-02-2014 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols. The greatest ever greatest hits as debut album ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Page 158 of 170

Jump to: