Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Jersey Devil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1449
PostPosted: 20-05-2005 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dont forget that it was a family with 2 small children. The kid who first saw the creature was shaken up about it. Could be some dimented parents trying to scare the living crap out of their kids by hoaxing a flying, horned beast. But who has that kinda time? Smile
oll_lewisOffline
mi mou tous kiklous taratte
Total posts: 3071
PostPosted: 20-05-2005 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor Drag wrote:
And what? Levitating up to and across the roof to make those tracks?

The house is only one story high so the tracks could have been made by a local wag on a stepladder with a dogs foot attached to a broom handle with duc tape playing a prank.

That is not however the most plausible explanation of the lot, I notice that another possible exlanation I gave, that it was an animal with a limp making the track, was ignored.

The scratches on the water cooler look like the sort that would be made by a dog with large claws scrabbleing to get perchace on it as it jumped from it.

looking at the track photo i got this:
http://img261.echo.cx/img261/8076/devilprints7wo.jpg

Last edited by oll_lewis on 20-05-2005 20:19; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous
PostPosted: 20-05-2005 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human_84 wrote:
The kid who first saw the creature was shaken up about it. Could be some dimented parents trying to scare the living crap out of their kids by hoaxing a flying, horned beast.

i dont think that parents would do something like that to there kids. it would scare them too much. it could be a big cat, and that would explain the scratchs. what kind of big cats do you get in the area, anyway.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 23-05-2005 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ yeah. If we follow the familys storey, then it couldn't have been a large cat, it was definetly a flying creature with huge footprints. They said it cleared the 85 foot space in mere seconds (a space between the treetops and the roof). I DO admit, that the family COULD have been liers, and even fooled their kids into beleiving that something huge with horns and "terrible eyes" flew across.

What do you all think about the possibility that the family hoaxed it and tricked their kids, just for some attention? I doubt it but its possible.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 23-05-2005 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it could happen, but it's a lot of trouble of making the prints on the roof and the scratch marks. But yeah, there is always the possibility that it is a hoax with anything.
oll_lewisOffline
mi mou tous kiklous taratte
Total posts: 3071
PostPosted: 23-05-2005 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human_84 wrote:
What do you all think about the possibility that the family hoaxed it and tricked their kids, just for some attention? I doubt it but its possible.

The parents may not have neaded to trick thir kids if it were a hoax (it could have been a misidentifaction, an overactive imagination coupled with shadows, zooform phenomina a genuine crypid or an outright lie, there are many possible explanations) then the kids could well be in on it. You can have 2 different kinds of hoax, one perpetrated by a lone hoaxer (Some bloke saying "I've seen a ghost" when they haven't for example) or a kind of team effort hoax where a few people who are in on the hoax and can colaborate the story (the Cottingley fairy photographs for example).

Last edited by oll_lewis on 04-11-2005 18:49; edited 1 time in total
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 01-06-2005 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord_Flashheart wrote:
Minor Drag wrote:
And what? Levitating up to and across the roof to make those tracks?

The house is only one story high so the tracks could have been made by a local wag on a stepladder with a dogs foot attached to a broom handle with duc tape playing a prank.

That is not however the most plausible explanation of the lot, I notice that another possible exlanation I gave, that it was an animal with a limp making the track, was ignored.

The scratches on the water cooler look like the sort that would be made by a dog with large claws scrabbleing to get perchace on it as it jumped from it.

looking at the track photo i got this:
http://img261.echo.cx/img261/8076/devilprints7wo.jpg

Its in my opinion, that the right "toe" you pointed out isnt actually there. The "toe" you pointed out looks exactly like the rest of the snow on the roof. Now, look at some higher tracks. Theres an obvious 2 toed hoof in each one of those. Theres an absence of anything that could be considered a third toe. Even if it were 3 toes in your track, cats dont have feet like that. Look at some big cat prints....

cougar - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - bobcat - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - tiger
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/410328/2/Tracks_in_the_snow.jpg

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/FP03.JPG

http://www.wildtrack.org/media/Sundarbans-Tiger.gif
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 12-06-2005 00:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil Footprints? ".....smelled like singed hair...." "....the footprints are still there." photos of prints on carpet from coast to coast.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page448.html
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 22-06-2005 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favorite cryptid, so its worth posting that I dreamed about the thing last night, scary as hell. I've read so many stories about it that I beleive what I visualised in my dream is very close to the real thing. It was terrible, I awoke thinking it was so horrible that I shall never venture to find it even tho I had loose plans of visiting the area in the near future. In the light of the day I'm still interested. Not sure how, because it was an awful figure;seemingly real because it was a vivid dream, with horrible giant eyes and horns, a man-beast running at a quick rate of speed thru the pine trees, teathered wings flapping and the hoofs clomping about. Gives me the chills.
SemyazOffline
Starshine is everything to me
Total posts: 213
PostPosted: 07-07-2005 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is my favorite cryptid, so its worth posting that I dreamed about the thing last night, scary as hell. I've read so many stories about it that I beleive what I visualised in my dream is very close to the real thing. It was terrible, I awoke thinking it was so horrible that I shall never venture to find it even tho I had loose plans of visiting the area in the near future. In the light of the day I'm still interested. Not sure how, because it was an awful figure;seemingly real because it was a vivid dream, with horrible giant eyes and horns, a man-beast running at a quick rate of speed thru the pine trees, teathered wings flapping and the hoofs clomping about. Gives me the chills.

Gives me the chills just reading about it...I'll prob dream about it tonight Shocked

JD is also one of my favourite cryptids...along with good old El Chupacabras...!!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 07-07-2005 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born and raised in tabernacle nj, smack in the middle of the pine barrens, camped every summer in chatsworth ( also in the pines) and spent a fair amount of time with various boyfriends in deerstands. Other then a few scary pineys ( local name for redknecks) and a few jersey jack stills, never saw anything to indicate the exsistence of the jersey devil. I am an avid fan of cryptozoology, but unfortunaly, i dont think this one is a reality. I lean towards the whole real estate scam theory. but, if i am wrong, i'll gladly eat my hat.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 12-07-2005 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

dilemma29 wrote:
I lean towards the whole real estate scam theory.

Whats the real estate scam theory??
Anonymous
PostPosted: 22-07-2005 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly before the legend of Mother leeds began to circulate, the pine barrens became a very hot realestate property . THe multiple underground streams with fresh water, the climate and the proximatey to the beach made it prime for commercialization. Fast forward to the present, because of the flora and fawna not found anywhere else but the pinebarrens of nj,it is protected from development. But, in the late 1800's early 1900's everyone wanted a piece of the land. Familes that had resided there for years were fearful of the encroachment on their farm land. Many court battles were fought. Then, the mother leeds story broke, a legend was born and superstitious surverors no longer wished to be out in the pines, which by the way is very dark and lonely, with lots of weird sounds to those that dont live there. Real estate dried up, no one was intereseted in building anymore and the rest is history. THere is a fantastic book called legends in the pines, that relays a good bit of the history with lots of historical documents to back it up. Well worth the read if you enjoy folktales, legends and a hint of cryptozoology.
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6034
PostPosted: 22-07-2005 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a great place.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 04-11-2005 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was in new jersey a couple months back, but didn't see any devil. I suppose he wouldn't come into the airport anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: