Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Exploding furniture.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 974
PostPosted: 22-08-2012 22:04    Post subject: Exploding furniture. Reply with quote

Admittedly, that's how tempered glass can break. But the idea is still pretty funny and Fortean.

Man says dining room table 'spontaneously exploded'
http://www.khou.com/news/Man-says-dining-room-table-spontaneously-exploded-167025115.html
SEATTLE, Washington -- A close call in the kitchen, left a Seattle man's heart pounding. One moment, Adam Welch was getting ready for work, and the next he was surrounded by broken glass.
"I just heard this explosive sound, and I saw flashes out of the corner of my eye," said Welch.

The shattered pieces could be seen throughout his small apartment.

"Glass crowded up against the refrigerator, crowded up against the wall," he said. "It spontaneously exploded."

We took Adam's photos and story to glass expert, Justin Ivy. Ivy works at Seattle Stained Glass, and he has heard of glass exploding before.

"it's not terribly common, but it can happen," said Ivy.

Ivy said if the glass has been damaged in the past, like a "deep scratch, a chip on the edge" that could cause problems. He said, "a hot pan, a bright sunny day, things like that, can cause thermal stress, and cause it to break. It can release that tension in the glass and cause it to just explode."

Ivy emphasized, that while he's heard of this happening, it is rare.

People have posted pictures and stories, similar to Adam's story, online. That is where you can find years worth of complaints about glass tables exploding.

For Adam, he said it is still unclear what caused his table to explode.

"It is a total mystery. There is nothing I can think of that would have been the foundation of this explosion," said Welch.

Adam owned the table for four years. He contacted the furniture manufacturer, and is still awaiting a reply.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5698
PostPosted: 22-08-2012 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the morning of my driving test - many years ago - I had hired my instructor for a lesson immediately before the test. As we halted in a suburban avenue, the car was rocked and the driver's window, luckily half way down, shattered, filling the car with rounded fragments. I was unhurt but shaken. Not least because my instructor - a nervous man at the best of times - was crouching down, insisting we were being shot at!

The only sensible explanation was that some stress caused by vibration or temperature had caused the event. I have tended to put it down to a Jungian synchronicity.

When we rolled up for the test, an hour later, it had been cancelled, due to traffic conditions (which were predictable in that area!) furious
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 498
PostPosted: 23-08-2012 00:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

James whitehead I had to laugh when you said :"Not least because my instructor - a nervous man at the best of times" because it seemed an unsuitable occupation for such a person.
Almost like his nervous tension was enough to shatter glass as they say Laughing
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1783
PostPosted: 23-08-2012 06:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he became nervous after becoming a driving instructor? I can imagine how that would happen!
Recycled1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1945
PostPosted: 23-08-2012 06:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only last week my son posted on facebook that the black glass on his Ikea coffee table had totally shattered, for no apparent reason.
One of his friends suggested that it was due to the weight of dust on it!
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9565
PostPosted: 23-08-2012 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't beat old fashioned wood...that doesn't explode...usually.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1187
PostPosted: 25-08-2012 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I bought a whisky in a pub. As I lifted the glass to drink it, it exploded and the bottom fell out. I assume that it had recently been washed and had ice cubes in it. It was still a surprise though.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21079
PostPosted: 27-08-2012 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudrick68 wrote:
Years ago I bought a whisky in a pub. As I lifted the glass to drink it, it exploded and the bottom fell out. I assume that it had recently been washed and had ice cubes in it. It was still a surprise though.

I would have needed a triple whisky after that.

Edit to fix typo.

Last edited by ramonmercado on 27-08-2012 13:02; edited 1 time in total
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9565
PostPosted: 27-08-2012 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudrick68 wrote:

Is that why they call them 'shot glasses'? Smile
jacklanceOffline
Grey
Total posts: 1
PostPosted: 24-09-2012 07:38    Post subject: Re: Exploding furniture. Reply with quote

kamalktk wrote:
Admittedly, that's how tempered glass can break. But the idea is still pretty funny and Fortean.

Man says dining room table 'spontaneously exploded'
http://www.khou.com/news/Man-says-dining-room-table-spontaneously-exploded-167025115.html

Yep, happened to me once with a pyrex bowl. Set it down after taking it out of the microwave, and BLAM! exploded all over the kitchen.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 24-09-2012 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago, I had two of those little Pyrex cups do that to me, a few months apart and in different locations. Can be quite alarming.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 24-09-2012 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to realise the danger of furniture. Friday evening in work I noticed someone had come along and lowered my swivel office chair. Still looking at what I was doing on the desk I fumbled about trying to find the lever to raise it. Just as I thought I'd found it I bent over and looked at what I was doing. This proved costly as instead of the raise lever I'd found the back (which was tilted back to maximum) release lever. I've tested the force of this since and when you release this at full tilt the chair actually bounces with the force of the spring. It flew up and smacked me right in the face, there's a hard plastic rim around the back of the cushion and this split the bridge of my nose open.

Something that's since struck me as odd, apart from the fact that you could use office furniture as a trebuchet, is that whilst I was standing there trying to stop the bleeding hardly anyone mentioned it, since I've had to go to work with a plaster across my nose though everyone notices straight away and asks what happened.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 24-09-2012 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago (or so) I posted a picture here of a chair with metal legs that spontaneously and rather violently disintegrated. One of the metal legs flew right across the room. No one was sitting on it at the time - and the chair was rather old - 1970s. We were all in a separate room - even the dog - and he went nuts afterwards.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21079
PostPosted: 24-09-2012 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilch5 wrote:
A couple of years ago (or so) I posted a picture here of a chair with metal legs that spontaneously and rather violently disintegrated. One of the metal legs flew right across the room. No one was sitting on it at the time - and the chair was rather old - 1970s. We were all in a separate room - even the dog - and he went nuts afterwards.

Did the dog recover eventually or did he stay barking mad?

Seriously though, did the metal show any signs of fatigue or strange marks etc?
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 25-09-2012 01:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog is fine, thanks for asking! Very Happy

The chair leg showed no markings - just it was separated where the weld mark was. If it had fallen apart whilst my corpulent self had been sitting on it, I'd have understood. Or if it just had quietly collapsed, the same.

But shooting off clear across the room on its own - that was weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean News stories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: