Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
House Wights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouldy13Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 84
PostPosted: 28-04-2014 20:11    Post subject: House Wights? Reply with quote

I'm interested in Germanic paganism and have been developing this idea for a while in traditional northern european folklore each house has a "Wight" a sort of familiar spirit or guardian of the house. The Wight must be "kept onside" by being left little offerings such as milk and oatcakes, and by being shown respect.

If respect is not forthcoming the Wight can turn against the people living in its house and be responsible for events which sound very like polt phenomena, banging, smells etc.

As the old ways have withered and died out is it possible that house wights have to become active because the respect and offerings are not given?
drbatesOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 528
PostPosted: 28-04-2014 20:15    Post subject: Re: House Wights? Reply with quote

Mouldy13 wrote:
I'm interested in Germanic paganism and have been developing this idea for a while in traditional northern european folklore each house has a "Wight" a sort of familiar spirit or guardian of the house. The Wight must be "kept onside" by being left little offerings such as milk and oatcakes, and by being shown respect.

If respect is not forthcoming the Wight can turn against the people living in its house and be responsible for events which sound very like polt phenomena, banging, smells etc.

As the old ways have withered and died out is it possible that house wights have to become active because the respect and offerings are not given?

Oatcakes left out ,banging and smells?

Sounds like rats to me...
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10474
PostPosted: 28-04-2014 20:52    Post subject: Re: House Wights? Reply with quote

drbates wrote:
Mouldy13 wrote:

Oatcakes left out ,banging and smells?

Sounds like rats to me...

Or it could be the cantankerous old boy next door.
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 324
PostPosted: 28-04-2014 21:11    Post subject: Re: House Wights? Reply with quote

Mouldy13 wrote:

Wouldn't virtually everyone have a disgruntled house wight, then? I can't speak for anyone else, but I've given almost no respect to my house wight. Tell a lie, I've given completely no respect to my house wight. I don't even believe in him. So, I can hardly claim surprise from the fact I haven't heard a peep from him/her/it.
BrimirOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 81
PostPosted: 29-04-2014 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They probably have other things to worry about than whether we notice them or not. If you ask something of them, it's always good to give back, obviously.

If leaving offerings, it's ancestors first, then if you want, any spirits that might be living with you, then the gods.
drbatesOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 528
PostPosted: 29-04-2014 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start believing in your house wight, and referring to it...see if that changes anything Smile
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-04-2014 23:40    Post subject: Re: House Wights? Reply with quote

Mouldy13 wrote:

That's what we call a 'Nisse' in Norway.
Even though it's an all year being living in secret on people's farms, they are often associated with christmas because it was popular to offer it porridge in christmas time. Several hundred years ago it might have been usual to set out food to the being through the whole year.

http://magazine.magix.com/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2010/12/NisseFox.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MCTpFOp_z-4/UpkGFaLGAdI/AAAAAAAABz0/NwoLWLV9wjw/s1600/Nisse+og+sauer+i+fjoset.jpg
staticgirlOffline
Following my fish
Total posts: 518
PostPosted: 01-05-2014 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also used to call them brownies - it's where the Brownie Guides got their name - the little house spirits which could be very helpful if you kept them onside.
Ringo_Offline
Sanitised for your protection
Total posts: 1129
PostPosted: 13-05-2014 12:35    Post subject: Re: House Wights? Reply with quote

SameOldVardoger wrote:
Mouldy13 wrote:
I'm interested in Germanic paganism and have been developing this idea for a while in traditional northern european folklore each house has a "Wight" a sort of familiar spirit or guardian of the house.

That's what we call a 'Nisse' in Norway.
Even though it's an all year being living in secret on people's farms, they are often associated with christmas because it was popular to offer it porridge in christmas time.

Yep - same in Sweden including the porridge.

And at Easter we slaughter a goat and hang it in the barn so that the Nisse's evil twin can eat someting too.

I might have made that last bit up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: