Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Why aren't there more ghosts about?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ampman48Offline
Grey
Total posts: 15
PostPosted: 17-11-2014 15:57    Post subject: Why aren't there more ghosts about? Reply with quote

I am researching my family history and this has led me down many strange paths. Recently I needed to look up the details of an inquest that happened 100 years ago and found that some kind person had transcribed newspaper reports of inquests dating from 1868 to 1920 in our part of the county,

On reading through these accounts I found many tragic tales of suicides, murders, rail crashes and other sad deaths. I was amazed at the number of people who drowned themselves in our locality and other sad events I had known nothing of which happened in places I knew very well.

My question is why are there no ghost stories connected to these places? Some of these people had such sad lives and awful deaths that they would be very likely to haunt the neighbourhood but in spite of reading local ghost books I can find only the usual cavaliers and grey ladies in historic houses.

I am rapidly losing my belief in ghosts.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 17-11-2014 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a tragic life, why on earth would you want to hang around in the same place after you died?
ampman48Offline
Grey
Total posts: 15
PostPosted: 17-11-2014 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to hang around if you had a happy life? Why would anyone want to stay here? This is why I am starting to not believe in ghosts.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5752
PostPosted: 17-11-2014 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If human misery created ghosts in a mechanical way, we would expect the sites of genocide to be filled with wraiths pointing their fingers . . .

They would be virtually solid.

Instead we get the odd old monk pointing to his unhallowed grave or some nun on her way to a secret passage . . . these messages seeming to be most important to our racial memory.

Values on the ghost-exchange seem as rigged as any . . . Confused
CultjunkyOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1401
PostPosted: 18-11-2014 08:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered where the battery farmed chicken ghosts are?
titchagainOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 147
PostPosted: 18-11-2014 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever ghosts are, they will be a lot more complex than a spirit hanging around where it was done over, that theory doesn't really hold much water, it does not mean ghosts don't exist, just that we need to realise there is not one simple explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: