Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Guardian article - do ghosts exist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soul_DoubtOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 34
PostPosted: 13-10-2014 18:51    Post subject: Guardian article - do ghosts exist? Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/13/do-ghosts-exist-apparitions-afterlife

Some good stories in the comments once you get past the initial mockery
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13647
PostPosted: 14-10-2014 05:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the typical comments run roughly like this,

Poster A:There's no such thing as ghosts.
Poster B: I don't believe in ghosts. But there was this one time...
Poster C: So you DO believe in ghosts then?
Poster D: It was a dark and stormy night...

Laughing
EponastillOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 239
PostPosted: 14-10-2014 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was interesting how many people leapt in with NO!!!! without analysing the question. You can believe there's no such thing as a disembodied soul wandering the earth going whoooh, but that's not the same thing as disbelieving that people see things full stop.

Even if it's psychological that they see them, or that they're all hallucinations - those are still what we term 'ghosts' and there must still be interesting reasons why they're a phenomenon. maybe an underlying biological reason, or a cultural one, or whatever. That would have been more interesting to debate than going 'NO CERTAINLY NOT'.

Never mind entertaining that there could be Something tangible which the human brain is responding to.

But then it's the guardian and not the fortean times website is it not.

Another thing I thought was interesting, is that lots of people seem determined that people believe in ghosts because they want desperately to believe in an afterlife, like an alternive to religion. That's certainly not true for me, and (as long time consumer of ghostly tales) I'd think that most ghost anecdotes don't suggest the apparition is Back From The Dead at all - they often don't interact with the living in any way (unless you're talking about apparitions of people known to the experiencer).

Anyway, all very interesting.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13647
PostPosted: 14-10-2014 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get people on here now and then who sign up just to randomly post THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS (or UFOs or BIGFOOT or whatever).

Some share elaborate, obviously made-up accounts of their Real Life Haunting, answering polite comments from other posters with FOOLED YOU! I MADE IT ALL UP AND YOU BELIEVED IT HA HA!

There's one due about now, in fact. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: